• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

deeno3432

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 4, 2018
    heartland
    Im going to buy one of these 2 and Id like input from owners of these 2 revolvers. Id like to know which is better in terms of reliability and durability. Has yours broke or had issues with certain rounds,etc. I know the S&W jframe (442,642,637,etc) are the most popular but I like these two so stick with those please. This gun will be a BUG and main carry at work so I want make the best choice. Thanks

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I have owned both of these revolvers. Both were very reliable and I never had issues with function or parts. I started with the Bodyguard and liked it OK. I never shot it very accurately and ended up trading it off for a Glock 42 which I came to really dislike, but that's a whole other story.

I traded the Glock 42 for a Ruger LCR which I liked better than the Bodyguard, but I hated the trigger and that Ruger reset. I eventually traded it for a case of ammo. I now use a Ruger LCP as my BUG, but it has that terrible Ruger trigger too.

If my only two options were a Bodyguard or LCR, I would pick the Ruger. If I had the choice to pick something else in a j-frame I would look at a Smith 442, which is what you don't want to hear.

Sullivan_pbr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    Romney
    I would highly recommend the lcr. I’ve had several and have been very pleased with them. My preference is the lcrx with the ability to fire single action if needed.

sliptap

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    The LCR is lighter, has much better grip, and a much better trigger. If you haven't already, try both triggers out in person. I think you'll agree the Ruger is smoother. I assume the prices and size are similar. The Smith Bodyguard also has a non-traditional cylinder release, which threw me off.

Between only those two choices, I'd go for an LCR hands down.

As someone who owns both an LCR and 360J (basically a 437), the smaller size of the 360J/437 makes a big difference for me while pocket carrying. My Smith isn't as easy to shoot, but it's what travels with me most. I know you don't want to hear it, but the smaller size 442/642/637 etc. is more convenient for carry...which means I actually take it with me.

I am happy to answer questions on/offline, take comparison pics, etc. if that helps your decision. Let me know!

EDIT: you asked about durability. You shouldn't have problems from either. If you do, then both companies have great warranties and reputations. I wouldn't stress as much about durability.

Top Bottom