• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hurtaaron

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 5, 2018
    NWI
    I feel like this general topic is probably been talked about in great depth, but I did a few searches, and didn't find a lot that was recent/relevant... and I need to get some posts so I can actually talk to people in the classifieds :)
    I'm pretty new to guns - I've only owned for about 5 years, with a total of 3 handguns.

I want a small single stack 9mm, and have found a number of options that look appealing.
    I'll be trying to rent some of them shortly, but for now I'm just seeing if the legion of gun aficionados have any input.
    What are your thoughts on this list, and am I missing any?
    M&P Shield 2.0
    Springfield XDS
    XDS Mod 2
    XDE
    Walther PPS M2 LE
    Sig P365
    Kahr PM9
    CM9
    Glock 43
    Sig P290RS

Thanks for any time spent considering!

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    You'll need to shoot and train to the find the one that is best for you...what works for me might not be the one for you.

I'd probably suggest starting with the Shield, G43 and P365.

That being said....the P365 is sorta setting the bar in 9mm micro-compacts right now. Mine has been flawless to 850 rounds. 500 of those without a cleaning.

Sig haters, please step forward now....

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    I prefer the P365 to the Shield 2.0. I really like the PPQ M1, but I haven't tried the PPS (though I've eyed a few PPS M1s online).

If you're not opposed to the width of the P365, the FN FNS-9c might work and it has the option of mag sleeves that let you use full sized mags as a spare, for the range, or even for carry when you have more concealment. Not my favorite, but many people like them and it would depend on how it works for you.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Small Single Stack 9mm Recommendations

OK.
    Oh, there's a.... ....no. Oh I know....... er...um....wait...... ...no. Ya. How about......... ...oh wait.... ...no. But then... ...oh ya..... .....no.
    Didn't they also...... . .... ah..... . no.

Ya I got nothing for you.
    Now if you were asking about Double Stacks, we'd be here all day. :):

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    You don't say what you have currently. If they are all Glocks, I would likely stay with one.
    I never like the P290. The P365 is the hottest out there right now, but I would use caution. The early ones were just bad. Sig seems to be working out the issues, so I would make sure you get a new one with recent DOB.

Hexlobular

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    SWI
    Perhaps to add to your list - I just bought a Ruger LC9s Pro, and will be testing it out this weekend.

Hurtaaron

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 5, 2018
    NWI
    I've got a Ruger GP100 .357, Ruger SR9, and Sig 1911 Tacops .45. I don't have any strong brand preferences right now.
    Another thing about the hottest thing out there is the price will likely drop as it cools down or as others find a way (copy) to shove more bullets into the small frame. Those copiers might find a way to make it better too.

Hurtaaron

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 5, 2018
    NWI
    I prefer the P365 to the Shield 2.0. I really like the PPQ M1, but I haven't tried the PPS (though I've eyed a few PPS M1s online).

If you're not opposed to the width of the P365, the FN FNS-9c might work and it has the option of mag sleeves that let you use full sized mags as a spare, for the range, or even for carry when you have more concealment. Not my favorite, but many people like them and it would depend on how it works for you.

Thank you. I've never even heard of FN. I'll check it out. PPS 2 felt good in my hands, but I haven't been able to shoot it.

Hurtaaron

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 5, 2018
    NWI
    Perhaps to add to your list - I just bought a Ruger LC9s Pro, and will be testing it out this weekend.

Ha!
    That's actually the only gun I had on my list that I didn't include on this post. All of my enthusiast friends give me crap for thinking any of Ruger's non-revolver guns are decent.
    I want to shoot the little LC9s. It seems like the most easily concealable out of all of these... and they are dirt cheap. My SR9 has been perfect through probably 700 rounds.

Hexlobular

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    SWI
    Ha!
    That's actually the only gun I had on my list that I didn't include on this post. All of my enthusiast friends give me crap for thinking any of Ruger's non-revolver guns are decent.
    I want to shoot the little LC9s. It seems like the most easily concealable out of all of these... and they are dirt cheap. My SR9 has been perfect through probably 700 rounds.

I've never been a fan of Ruger, but this one had good reviews and a good price. We'll see how it goes...

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Kahr PM9 is my constant companion when ever I leave my house. Sometimes it is joined by a bigger brother like a Beretta PX4 but I never leave home without the PM9. Have run many thousands of rounds of trust while maintaining proficiency. Never had a problem and amazingly accurate for such a small weapon.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Q917bhGh.jpg

Big fan of the Sig P365 here, March 2018 build date with about 1,800 rounds through the pistol without so much as a hiccup

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I can only weigh in on what I have experience with. Those would be the Walther PPs M2, Kahr P9, XDS.

I'll start with the XDS. I've had 3, all gone now. They shot fine, nothing really special about them though. I liked the 4" the best of the group. I will never have another one though, not even for free. Springfield is dead to me. The way they handled the recall was bordering on criminal. The crap they pulled this past year or so was a flat out betrayal of gun owners. Never again.

The Kahr P9. It shoots well, carries nice. The downside for me is the trigger. I have nothing else that is similar. I find myself short stroking it on occasion, not something I want in a EDC gun. I'm sure I could train it out of me, but I just don't like it as much as the other guns I have and am proficient with. It remains a range toy, trainer gun for new shooters, or a loaner pistol when necessary. Accessories are limited.

The Walther PPS M2. Right now it's my EDC and has been for a while. Here's my review if you're interested.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/423203-walther-pps-vedder-holster-ammo-review.htm
    The downside. Everything is expensive, it's difficult to get extra parts for them, holster selection is still lacking.

The Walther will probably be going to my wife if she still wants it to carry, if not then back in the safe it will go. It will be replaced by a Shield. The downsides for me are enough to justify the change.

Top Bottom