• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Some adults I care about are entering their 70s and 80s and my mother in particular has a VERY weak grip and bad arthritis.

I've been wresting with finding a handgun that might be a good choice for her. I sort of ruled out semi-autos because racking a slide is a challenge I don't think she'd be able to do, even on pistols marketed as easier to rack. And your typical SC carry gun is actually a lot stiffer than a full size because of the slide mass.

Also-- loading a magazine could be very difficult for her. I don't want to have to teach her how to use an UpLula or something.

So I'm looking at revolvers as a preferable option. A DA revolver in particular because I thought it best if she could just reach in the glove box, pull it out and fire. Or purse, or what have you.

I looked at the SP101 first because I love the feel in hand, and the weight adds to shootability a bunch. But the trigger? Ugh. Asking an older woman to pull a 14# trainwreck of a DA trigger isn't a great idea.

J-frame? Better trigger. Which one? I have very little experience with Smith revolvers.

Thus far, the only thing I've identified as nearly a sure thing at an affordable price is a Ruger LCR/LCRx.

The LCR is the prime path right now unless someone can help me identify something more appropriate.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I went through the same thing with my mid 80s mother a few years back. I'd kept an old 1911 with 10 rd mag ready to rock. All she had to do was drop the safety. 2 or 3 years ago she got to where she couldn't get a good grip to hold the 1911 and drop the extended safety.
    After numerous failures on guns for her I found an old G17 on here that was ugly, beat up, abused, but smooth as silk and had an easy trigger in it.
    I loaded it up with some good SD ammo, racked the slide, and put it in her hands at Point Blank.
    She ran a couple of mags through it with no problem at all.
    She keeps it close day or night now. It's loaded always so her working the slide is not a worry. Plus the extended mags for the 17 give her a decent chance for survival if the need should arise.
    Hope you figure out what works for your Ma. It took me a while and ONLY some trial and error on yours and her part will find out what works for her.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Take a look at the new S&W Ez shield 380. Has a very easy to rack slide, controls that can me moved making it ambidextrous, and the mags have a button on the side to let you pull down on the spring for easier loading.
    My wife has a hard time racking the slide on most semi autos and this thing has been the answer. And so far 500 rounds thru without a single hiccup

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I'm at this stage/state with my father. He's now no longer to even actuate the trigger on a revolver in DA, nor is he dexterous / strong / coordinated enough to thumb the hammer back on a revolver to shoot it in SA (if his had an exposed hammer). Unfortunately, it looks like I'll be inheriting his Ruger LCR .22 Mag soon. :-(

Once certain things become extremely difficult - it's time to look at other means.

My dad cannot due to strength - but can your people shoulder a 10/22? How about a Marlin Model 60?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    My great-aunt has had a stainless S&M snub-nosed .38 in her pocket for longer than I have been alive. She is well into her 80's now, and I guarantee it is in her pocket right now.

On the flip side, my in-laws have a .357 that neither can use. The DA trigger is too heavy, and they can't cock it for SA. One day, I'm sure I'll get a very lightly used gift.

That all said, were I to look for something, it would be a fairly heavy (less recoil) .38, 4" or so barrel, and moderately light trigger, loaded up with standard power hollow-points (no +P). Great big sights, or a laser. Add in a speedloader (easier to manage than individual rounds). Not that I expect an octogenarian to do combat reloads, but I'm sure they would feel better knowing they COULD.

Some occasional range time to make sure they can still manage it SAFELY, and then take mom to lunch.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Take a look at the new S&W Ez shield 380. Has a very easy to rack slide, controls that can me moved making it ambidextrous, and the mags have a button on the side to let you pull down on the spring for easier loading.
    My wife has a hard time racking the slide on most semi autos and this thing has been the answer. And so far 500 rounds thru without a single hiccup

:+1:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

Yep, the S&W EZ Shield is geared toward that market specifically. It has a button on the side of the magazine to assist with pulling the spring down to load, has an easier to rack slide, and a grip safety (since it is an internal hammer fired gun and not a striker). It is based on the M&P Compact 22. You can choose one with a manual on/off safety or without.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/mp-380-shield-ez-0

[video=youtube;DjLBfe8Iqwk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjLBfe8Iqwk[/video]

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    I have been in a wheelchair for about 5 years now. My advice? A snub DA revolver. Or two. I keep one attached to the chair and one attached to me. A nice S&W J frame loaded with .38 Spl 140 grain slugs at the minimum. I actually use two .44 Spl snubs with 200 gr. wadcutters.

rlfrye

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    The Tuck

This gets my vote, The Boss suffers from MS and degenetative arthritis. We got her a 380EZ, she can rack the slide easily AND load the mags. It is by far the easiest gun for her to operate that we have had.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Could be my new gun in 20 yrs. or less depending on arthritis: love anything S/W, they have been good to me.

Why wait? Lol. Im not a big 380acp fan, but i really enjoying putting a few rounds thru the wifes when we hit the range. Im working on developing a few loads for it now, for plinking and self defense. Thats about the only drawback to the 380 is the price of factory ammo.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    ....and mixing it up with 9mm in the tumbler...

Haven't done that yet. While im shooting 9mm or 45 the wife generally shoots her Mark IV 22/45 lite, then when i pick up my brass we'll switch and she'll shoot her ez shield. Helps to keep down on the mix ups for now. I have gotten some 380's mixed in even before we owned the ez shield from some stragglers left behind by others.
    My daughter helps me go thru and sort the brass after range trips so that helps too

BrettonJudy7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    GREENFIELD
    Another option for bigger .380 guns that have elderly in mind, is the Walther PK380. Introduced before the SW EZ, and has the same concept. Ambidextrous controls, smooth and easy slide action. So in fact, that I could rack the slide by pinching it with my fingers. Had originally purchased this type of handgun for my mom. As she is in her early 60's, and small body frame, she needed something that was easily manageable, reliable and comfortable for arthritic hands.

Top Bottom