• ...and so much more!
  • Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I have kind of an oddball question. Recently I picked up an S&W 442 to serve as a carry piece for running, and as a maximum concealable gun for non-permissive situations. It's been pretty great for both, but there's one annoyance: There's enough headspace at the back of the cylinder that, especially when running, I can hear the cartridges clicking up and down. This might be endemic to revolvers, but has anyone ever rigged up a fix to cut down on the rattle? I dunno if J-frames can accept a super skinny moon clip, or if I could just tack a little piece of masking tape to the back of the casing, or what. Any ideas?

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Don't run, or play music from your phone. :):

I obviously can't hear it with my ears in, which is most of the time. But the purpose of the gun is to avoid getting made, and that little metallic clicking noise annoys me.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I obviously can't hear it with my ears in, which is most of the time. But the purpose of the gun is to avoid getting made, and that little metallic clicking noise annoys me.

Your tape idea should work, but I'd test it at a range to insure the tape doesn't melt in the cylinder when fired.

Have you tried different brands of ammo?

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Just some reloads, some PPU, and the soft lead Geco I was planning on carrying. Everything seems to rattle a bit. It's got enough space beyond that cylinder that you'd have to manufacture with a crazy thick rim to fill it. Obviously some space is needed in order for the cylinder to turn easily.

I may try a bit of tape next time I take it to the range and make sure it won't melt or gum the action up or anything.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Oh yeah, putting tape on the cartridges is a Really Great Idea........ You NEED that headspace if you want the gun to function - trust me on this. Realistically, no one is going to hear it and even if they do will not have any idea what is making the noise. I believe that you are seriously overthinking this.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I doubt I'd use tape on it. Just a little tape on the forcing cone MIGHT give you a serious problem.
    Try better ammo. Everything you mentioned is below my lax standards for wheel guns. YMMV.
    I'm pretty anal but I haven't gone down that route yet.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Leave it alone as others have said.
    I hear the same clicking now and again, when I take off running.
    I've never had anyone mention it, or question me about the noise.
    Drail, and others are right. You need that headspace if you want a revolver to function reliably.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I agree leave it alone. Adding moonclips where not needed can hurt more than help (and I LOVE moonclips - but I have to admit this)

Also, you can try a few different ammo brands to see if some of them use a slightly thicker rim -- though I doubt it would make a difference.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I copy. It's a defensive firearm so adversely affecting the reliability is not an option. I was just curious as to whether anyone had come up with a good fix, or if it was a minor enough complaint that it's not worth doing anything.

I do like the gun, though. Challenging to shoot well, but I like it.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I copy. It's a defensive firearm so adversely affecting the reliability is not an option. I was just curious as to whether anyone had come up with a good fix, or if it was a minor enough complaint that it's not worth doing anything.

I do like the gun, though. Challenging to shoot well, but I like it.

If it really bothers you, a very small touch of nail polish on the side of the brass will make it fit tighter in the cylinder. A dab of nail polish, let it dry, then insert. It will not change the reliability. Put it near the rim so it clears the cylinder quickly when you eject. Note that it needs to be a very small touch. A heavy dab will make the brass not insert. I learned this the hard way trying to mark inert rounds I made with no powder or primer for reloading practice and then had to sand it down.

On a side note, my LCR does not rattle. The chambers are sized properly.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Got an issue with a S&W revolver? Go see Yoda at Sand Burr Gun Ranch in Rochester, IN. Otherwise I join the chorus and say leave it alone. You are probably the only person who allegedly heard the supposed clicking because you are obsessing about the noises. Best of luck!

sliptap

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    On a side note, my LCR does not rattle. The chambers are sized properly.

The internal hammer on my LCR rattles more than the rounds in my 360J lol.

As everyone else said, just don't worry about it. Nobody else is going to second guess it and after a while the "jingle" will become music to your ears/bring comfort.

Top Bottom