• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have had S/W 642 hammerless .38 snubbie J frame for over a year as a CC: just a utility tool, no romance.
    I bought it from Cabelas for $300 in an unbelievable sale 2 summers ago.
    There was so much pain holding on to it with it biting into my middle finger that I bought a Delta grip (read about it in old thread about this).
    I never gave it much thought.
    Then over the course of time I read about the Ruger LCR in either .357 or .38 that was supposed to have a better trigger and less recoil.
    IT WAS ALL TRUE!!!!
    I picked one up last evening when I was in the neighborhood of Marksman Shooting Sports where I have bought a few guns and a Henry rifle over the course of the past 1.5 yrs. from Chris, the owner.
    He had a Ruger LCR .357 in the box with papers with a leather IWB holster for $300, so I decided to try it out.
    The range pics say it all: UNBELIEVABLE!!!
    I was amazed.
    It does have some great red sights on the front, but for me, it just is kinder and gentler and therefore: more accurate in my hand.
    In fact, the first thing I did after firing the Smith 642 was order a grip to get me pinky on.
    The Ruger: I don't need a better grip even though my pinky does not fit: it's fine the way it is (I wish I could put my Delta grip on it though, just for fun!

The Ruger LCR .357, of which I'll use .38s in it (maybe put the last 2 rounds .357 in the chamber).
    This is an internet pic, and mine has red sights on the front.
    MODEL NUMBER: 5450 CALIBER: 357 MAG
    GripHogue® Tamer™ Monogrip®
    Front SightReplaceable, Pinned Ramp
    Barrel Length1.87"
    Cylinder Finish PVD

Twist1:16" RH
    Rear SightU-Notch Integral
    Finish Matte Black
    Weight 17.1 oz.
    Height 4.50"
    Overall Length 6.50"
    Capacity 5
    Grooves 6
    Suggested Retail $669.00
    Monolithic frame is made from 400 series stainless steel.
    Patented friction reducing cam is a next generation design in fire control systems that results in a smooth, non-stacking trigger pull.
    Patented polymer fire control housing holds all the fire control components in their proper dimensional relationships, reduces weight significantly and helps reduce recoil.
    High-strength stainless steel cylinder is extensively fluted (reducing weight) and features a PVD finish for excellent durability.
    Allows a variety of grip styles to be installed, leaving ample room for recoil cushioning. Includes a Hogue® Tamer™ grip, which is highly effective at reducing felt recoil.
    Replaceable, pinned ramp front sight with white bar.
    4.jpg

2.jpg

S/W 642 Internet pic (when I put it up for sale I'll put pics of mine it).
    163810_01_lg_0.jpg

SPECIFICATIONS
    SKU: 163810
    Model: Model 642
    Caliber: 38 S&W SPECIAL +P
    Capacity: 5
    Barrel Length:
    Overall Length: 6.3"
    Front Sight: Integral
    Rear Sight: Fixed
    Action: Double Action Only
    Grip: Synthetic
    Weight: 14.4 oz / 408.2g
    Cylinder Material: Stainless Steel
    Barrel Material: Stainless Steel
    Frame Material: Aluminum Alloy
    Frame Finish: Matte Silver
    Purpose: Concealed Carry, Law Enforcement & Military, Personal Protection, State Compliance

S/W 642 20'
    PRzMTlP.jpg

Ruger LCR .357 at 20'
    y5J99A4.jpg

S/W 642 at 30'
    SP5WbcG.jpg

Ruger LCR .357 at 30'
    i5GuR8T.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Those holes don’t lie! You shoot the Ruger much better than the S&W.

1. I couldn't believe the disparity: I figured it would be a "tad" better.
    2. I was so excited I called up Chris and told him I knew he didn't want to hear a call from me (2 previous used guns I bought from him had to be sent back) after buying a gun yesterday but I told him he could use me as an example of a "newbie" with no dog in the fight and that the Ruger LCR was just a better shooting gun.
    3. It is a hair bigger in width than the 642: it won't fit into one of my pocket holsters I'd bought for J frames, but does well in my DeSanti Superfly pocket holster and in my ankle holster.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    What is the difference in trigger weights?

I only know one person in the real that has an LCR and they love it.

1. If memory serves: 12# vs 8# (LCR being the lighter, of course). Perhaps I'm wrong and it's 12 vs 10.
    2. When I dry fired them, I could tell a slight difference, but live fire it really shows up (probably getting the whole effect of trigger and recoil melding together).

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Range pics: 12', 20' and 30'.
    Just the Ruger today, since I'm going to sell the S/W 642.
    I am not impressed, and I think I did better yesterday.

12' and 20' and 30'. I was not drinking at the range on the 5th cylinder (bottom right), what happened there??!!!
    QjIpKIs.jpg

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I ran across another Ruger LCR, not a .357 but a LCRx in .38sp with a small hammer.
    It was for sale by someone I bought the CZ P-09 from: a man who enjoys buying, shooting, trading and selling guns.
    Price was righteous I thought, at $300, so I wanted to find out about in and compare the two.
    I researched online reading many testimonials going both ways.
    Short version: the LCRx .38 is about 4 ounces lighter with a lighter recoil.
    I didn't notice a difference in shooting either one of them in recoil, even though shooting .38s out of the .357 theoretically was to be less recoil b/c of the extra few ounces.
    It will be interesting to see which I keep in the end, but no hurry.
    The results of shooting a few rounds is inconclusive with maybe a slight edge in accuracy, which doesn't matter for an up close and personal CC that would be fired DA in a split second.
    It is just a matter of deciding whether the .357 matters and warrants its position, but with such a short barrel in contrast to a proper 38 +P load in the .38.
    Since I when I am not using my ankle holster, I pocket carry, the lighter 4 ozs. is worthy of account.
    It wouldn't matter if being carried on a belt, of course.

Range pics. .357 on the right with .38 on the left at 20' using .38 specials.
    .357 is D/A only and the .38 has a hammer for S/A (both used for comparison and labeled.
    l7hpUF1.jpg

Same pic with some .357 rounds added shooting at the "X" in the middle
    of the 20' and only 3 rounds shot at the "X" between the middle two targets.
    6ka0kWM.jpg

Ruger
    MODEL NUMBER: 5450 CALIBER: 357 MAG
    Front Sight Replaceable, Pinned Ramp
    Barrel Length 1.87"
    Cylinder Finish PVD

Twist 1:16" RH
    Rear Sight U-Notch Integral
    Finish Matte Black
    Weight 17.1 oz.
    Height 4.50"

Overall Length 6.50"
    Capacity 5
    Grooves 6
    Suggested Retail$669.00
    5.jpg

Ruger
    MODEL NUMBER: 5430 CALIBER: 38 SPL +P
    Front SightReplaceable, Pinned Ramp
    Barrel Length1.87"
    Cylinder Finish PVD

Twist 1:16" RH
    Rear Sight U-Notch Integral
    Finish Matte Black
    Weight 13.5 oz.
    Height 4.50"

Overall Length 6.50"
    Capacity 5
    Grooves 6
    Suggested Retail$579.00
    6.jpg

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    I do a bit of backpacking now and then, so thinking along the same lines- I've always thought the LCRs are kinda homely looking, but from a utilitarian standpoint. They make a lot of sense

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    My brother has the model 5401 I believe. He likes it as a conceal carry piece. I thought about one, but sticking with my Shield for now.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    1. I own both: thinking of replacing the .357 with the .38 for the 4 ozs. savings in the pocket.

You may notice a tad more recoil with the .38 version of the LCR due to it's lighter weight. But even so, the lighter LCR is still significantly better in the felt recoil dept than the 642 to my hand (and this seems to be the consensus) even though it's lighter than the 642 by about 0.9 oz.

I suspect a fair bit of it may be due to the Hogue recoil "Tamer" grips with the gel insert along the back of the frame, but I haven't had any reason (other than curiosity), to swap in a hard grip to try and see the difference.

Has anyone tried the Tamer grips for the 442/642?

Last edited:

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I have a Hogue Tamer on my 340PD and it makes a world of difference. Sorry for the vertical picture. In my photo gallery it is normal, but here it goes vertical. Dunno why.
    S&W 340PD RS.jpg
    I have a buddy that has the 9mm and .38/.357 LCR's. When I shot them I really liked them, but my trigger finger was constantly getting pinched between the trigger and the guard. Other than that I thought they were great little revolvers.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    You may notice a tad more recoil with the .38 version of the LCR due to it's lighter weight. But even so, the lighter LCR is still significantly better in the felt recoil dept than the 642 to my hand (and this seems to be the consensus) even though it's lighter than the 642 by about 0.9 oz.

I suspect a fair bit of it may be due to the Hogue recoil "Tamer" grips with the gel insert along the back of the frame, but I haven't had any reason (other than curiosity), to swap in a hard grip to try and see the difference.

Has anyone tried the Tamer grips for the 442/642?

1. Definitely, about comparing the Ruger to the Smith. I remember how surprised I was after shooting the Ruger LCR .357 with 38sp in it compared to my S/W 642.
    2. The recoil so much easier with the Ruger, I couldn't believe I had not been warned about the SW 642.
    3. I have not even thought about getting bigger grips for the Ruger, but the first thing I did after firing the 642 was to go home from the range and ordered grips.
    4. I did not notice any real difference between the two Rugers in recoil, but I'll be more critical next range time with them and take more critical notes.
    5. I was mainly just testing accuracy yesterday.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I just had a pm about someone wanting to buy the Ruger LCR .357 when I decide to let it go.
    I let him know I'd be selling it, probably, rather than the LCRx, and just writing about it made me realize I really just wanted a .38 when I bought the .357, but it was a terrific buy for $300 +tax = $321, bought from Chris at Marksman Shooting Sports in Westfield that I used to frequent when I lived closer (bought a few guns and a rifle there: best used prices in any store, but I don't get out much :dunno:).

I think I'll take it to the range for one last "make sure," but I did that yesterday, and the nuances of recoil were not of note for me and I want the lighter .38.
    Of course, I did notice the recoil difference when firing .357. But, I've been told that .357 should not even be used in close quarters, due to not stopping the the torso of the one intended, even though I'm sure with the right ammo, that could be ameliorated.

I told him I'd sell it to him, but he lives 1.5 hrs. away and I'm not going to drive halfway to make a sale on this one.
    I sold a $500 gun yesterday (Ruger .357/9mm), so I'm not feeling the pressure right now.
    I'm sure he's not interested in a long drive himself. (Of course, not today, anyway!)

I still regret not being able to upgrade my Taurus 990 (big huge .22LR revolver) that I have, for a longer barrel one b/c the seller nor I were willing to drive the 2 hr. one way distance (I could have in the summer).
    I would have bought someone's Shadow 2 with the blue grips (I hate my Urban Grey), but they lived to far away, plus, I think they changed their mind.
    I could do something like that in the summer (and have), but now that I'm getting a few upgrades (under $300) in my Urban Grey, it will be harder to sell, I'm sure: but I do love those blue grips. At first I didn't and thought it was strange. I still think the orange handles are. :rofl:

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    I've always thought the LCRs are kinda homely looking, but from a utilitarian standpoint. They make a lot of sense

Yeah that is what I always though too but after seeing the results of doddg shooting it against the Smith 642 I would be hard pressed not to consider looking at the Ruger if I were in the market for a concealment revolver. I bought my 642 several years ago and it is easily the most difficult handgun to master that I have ever owned due to the minimal sights and a heavy trigger.

As to the recoil I hold the grip where the top of the back strap is not in the web of my hand and firing that way I don't find the recoil to be too severe. My 642 shoots to the right for me. Here is a target shot at 7 yards that already had 22 holes in it. The 642 is a good one for firing a stray shot or two.

View attachment 73966

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Yeah that is what I always though too but after seeing the results of doddg shooting it against the Smith 642 I would be hard pressed not to consider looking at the Ruger if I were in the market for a concealment revolver. I bought my 642 several years ago and it is easily the most difficult handgun to master that I have ever owned due to the minimal sights and a heavy trigger.

As to the recoil I hold the grip where the top of the back strap is not in the web of my hand and firing that way I don't find the recoil to be too severe. My 642 shoots to the right for me. Here is a target shot at 7 yards that already had 22 holes in it. The 642 is a good one for firing a stray shot or two.

View attachment 73966

1. Just got back from the range and will be posting more Ruger LCRx/.38 sp. & Ruger LCR/.357 pics.
    2. I have a buyer for the .357 and needed to have one last shot at it (yes, pun intended). :laugh:
    3. Trigger on the .357 is smoother for whatever reason.
    4. They both share the same accuracy (just using .38 sp. in the .357).
    5. I'm still going to sell it b/c for its utility I need light weight: not a range gun.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Last range pics of Ruger LCR/.357 vs. Ruger LCRx/.38 b/c selling the .357.
    "Score" the same here at 20'.
    Ignore my Ruger Security 6 at the bottom, but it was a dream: shot like a .22LR recoil, a joy.
    9BV4oxh.jpg

Ruger LCRx/.38 at 30' head shots with S/A and at D/A torso shots
    DWxo861.jpg

LCR/.357 D/A only: head shots and torso:
    M51sd1h.jpg

Ruger LCR/.357 has a smoother trigger for whatever reason.

Top Bottom