• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Leadeye's thread motivated me to get out the camera.

My 1913 production M1911. It was refinished at some point by Springfield Armory, but probably in the 1920's before the M1911A1 was adopted since it doesn't have any of the later improvements. It has a really heavy trigger pull, but otherwise functions smoothly. Considering the date, it is possible that this went on the expedition to capture Pancho Villa!

dZc6cNa.jpg

krFzkmR.jpg

HBZzTXc.jpg

XQCMIz4.jpg

rnhZCOT.jpg

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Thanks to all for the kind comments. I got it by trading a nice WWII Remington-Rand. The guy that had it could never get over the fact that it was refinished, even though it was done at Springfield Armory while it was in service, so he wanted one that still had the factory finish. I preferred the potential history of an obviously used early gun, worked well for both of us.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Heavy trigger pull just means you need more adrenaline because people are shooting at you..:draw: :) Nice 1911.!

Last edited:

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    That is a beautiful old 1911. Be aware that the early models had no heat treat or hardening done to them at all and were only expected to have a service life of 5,000 rounds. Notice all the dents in the slide? That's because it is soft steel. The U.S. Army considered them to be cheap disposable sidearms. If that were mine I would not shoot it.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    You see this 100 yr old creation of awesomeness by JMB and you say to yourself: will “plastic” guns survive 100 years? Personally, I think not! Peace.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Plastic guns don't need to survive as there are thousands of huge robot factories cranking them out just like the cheap pocket knives sold at every gas station. We're doomed......

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Nice pistol.
    I'm jealous. ;)
    Reminds me of one that a friend showed me some years ago that his grandfather carried and brought home from WW1.

Top Bottom