• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I was introduced to the CZ brand this summer at my leisure recovering from hip surgery with too much time on my hands.
    All this and more is boringly documented in detail in a few threads as only a person who loves to hear the sound of his voice could do.
    In summary: bought a 36 oz. (75 Omega), then a 40 oz. (SP-01 Tactical), then a 46 oz. (Shadow 2) CZ in very quick succession.
    Sold the one before it as I moved up the ladder to the Shadow 2 (got carried away since the 40 oz. was sufficient for my needs, but it was summer, I was off work, and had nothing else to do so I drank deeply from the CZ well). :rofl:
    I am not apologizing for my weakness (still enjoying the benefits and feel good about it), since I feel the 46 oz. Shadow 2 is more than what I deserve anyway.
    When I retire, I might have to sell it and get a 75 that cost half the price, but until then I get to enjoy what to me is: "top of the line!"

I had bought a Rami, but it would not function for me: the owner graciously took it back.
    With work starting up and all the stressors with it, I just didn't have time or inclination to mess with it, and I would have just put it into the safe, so I was grateful not to have to deal with it, although I was assured by others that I trust: that it was nothing, and the seller proved that by getting it to work easily.
    But, it was a "wake-up" call to me, since I had not had that experience with my lower-priced S/W or Rugers (Taurus semi-auto, yes, and even a Charter Arms 9mm revolver that had to be sent back).

My question is this. Through the process I discovered that CZ warranties a gun for 5 yrs. and ONLY to the buyer.
    My thought was: Why buy a used CZ (b/c of no warranty on the next buyer) instead of a new one b/c of the warranty, and I since have learned that CZs do have their issues with springs and magazine feeds, requiring some "hands-on" maintenance that my others had not?
    Should I be paying a few dollars more for that piece of mind if needed?

For example, the Rami 2075 I can buy new for $600 (even though I see them for sale on Armslist for $600 and $695 used).
    Since the Rami, as well as other CZs, sell so well used, why give up a 5 yr. warranty by not buying new?
    I did buy the Shadow 2 gently used for $950, and new I could get it for $1100 + $77 tax = $1177, so saving $227 for a gun that has been loved and taken to the range is worth the risk (imo).

But, if saving only a "few" bucks, since the normally priced used CZ is $500ish - $600ish) and the new price for different varieties of the 75 (Omegas and Compacts) start at $500ish - $600ish for me: you can see where I'm going.

It's like a S/W Victory I bought recently.
    I could have bought it new for $372, but I saved $100 by buying off someone here, and it had been to the range lightly for a function test.
    I thought it was worth it to take the chance, plus S/W's warranty is better and not only for the buyer but for the gun.

I realize that some will answer with hostility and tell me to sell all my CZs and go back to my S/W and Rugers, b/c they are offended at the questioning. Such is the internet.
    Others will patiently help me process this b/c of my ignorance and limited experience with everything handguns.
    I am decades less in experience than most my age, and I fear patience is running thin by my questions.
    You see, I can't quit looking at the Rami that has been "range-tested."
    I was even looking at a Compact earlier this am, b/c of the CZickness.

I looked long and hard at the one that just sold here for $600, but b/c I was a little afraid of anything not stock with optional upgraded springs and the like, and no warranty if something did go wrong, and I would have no recourse, I passed: fear, and I probably missed the best deal on a Rami on Earth.

Please be merciful.
    Look forward to seeing many of you this evening! :ingo:

Last edited:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I guess it is something to consider. But I am curious how CZ actually works their warranty, do they enforce the terms. Sig has a lifetime warranty to the original buyer. But I have known of several people that bought one second hand, had something go wrong that was obviously a gun issue and Sig didn't even ask any questions, they even paid postage both ways. Some gun companies don't even really have a warranty but they will fix it if it is their problem without any argument.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I have never had to send a CZ back, that being said I did almost send a Dan Wesson back (owned by CZ) and they wanted proof of purchase and date of purchase to fix my ECO under warranty. I told them to go get bend and took it to my gunsmith Ray Saltzman and he fixed my ECO (the sear was not engaging properly with the hammer causing the hammer to fall into "half cock" position). Taking it to my local gun smith cost me $80 and less than a 24 hour turn around.

That all being said I would still buy another ECO just because of how good the pistol is, and on the off chance something goes wrong I know most competent gunsmiths can fix the pistol for a relatively low cost.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    1. Smith and Wesson's warranty is only for the original buyer - though I have been told that they generally don't ask.

2. In most instances, I'd rather pay a local gunsmith than send it back unless it is an obvious issue with the firearm that has a known upgrade. i.e. an INGO member recently had a CZ P10C that, I'm guessing, came back to him with some engineering upgrades over what mine has.

3. Guns and Cars, in this respect, are quite similar. A basic Toyota Camry will probably just run and run - if you want a Ferrari you have a higher incident of maintenance. A new Les Baer requires a period of break-in. A new G**** might run 10,000 rounds until it needs anything but ammo.

A. The Rami the just sold was a deal! Don't let your issue with misfeeds tarnish your views of the Rami. It was simply a lubrication issue. Now you know and will apply that knowledge going forward.

B. It also factors in to what you buy. A used CZ? More rounds the better! Give me a surplus CZ anyday! A Taurus? Might want the warranty...just saying...

C. So to answer your question directly. Go with your comfort level. Only you can answer the question.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I guess it is something to consider. But I am curious how CZ actually works their warranty, do they enforce the terms. Sig has a lifetime warranty to the original buyer. But I have known of several people that bought one second hand, had something go wrong that was obviously a gun issue and Sig didn't even ask any questions, they even paid postage both ways. Some gun companies don't even really have a warranty but they will fix it if it is their problem without any argument.

1. Good to know!

I have never had to send a CZ back, that being said I did almost send a Dan Wesson back (owned by CZ) and they wanted proof of purchase and date of purchase to fix my ECO under warranty. I told them to go get bend and took it to my gunsmith Ray Saltzman and he fixed my ECO (the sear was not engaging properly with the hammer causing the hammer to fall into "half cock" position). Taking it to my local gun smith cost me $80 and less than a 24 hour turn around.
    That all being said I would still buy another ECO just because of how good the pistol is, and on the off chance something goes wrong I know most competent gunsmiths can fix the pistol for a relatively low cost.

2. I have done that before, taking a GSG 1911-22 over to ZR Tactical I bought "like new" but the previous owner put upgrades in it that didn't fit, and they fixed it in less than hour while I waiting and materials (proper fitting upgrades) and labor was $100. I was able to trade the gun for a Taurus Judge and didn't lose anything fortunately.
    3. Another, a SP100 .22LR Ruger I traded for that wouldn't fire all the ammo in the cylinder was "unfixable" and when I sent it back to S/W they said they would send a new one: it's been nearly 2 months and my FFL hadn't got it yet, though.

1. Smith and Wesson's warranty is only for the original buyer - though I have been told that they generally don't ask.

A. WOW! That means I got off really lucky! (see above)

2. In most instances, I'd rather pay a local gunsmith than send it back unless it is an obvious issue with the firearm that has a known upgrade. i.e. an INGO member recently had a CZ P10C that, I'm guessing, came back to him with some engineering upgrades over what mine has.

B. Me too, I'm cheap, but I don't mind throwing money at something and making a problem go away.

3. Guns and Cars, in this respect, are quite similar. A basic Toyota Camry will probably just run and run - if you want a Ferrari you have a higher incident of maintenance. A new Les Baer requires a period of break-in. A new G**** might run 10,000 rounds until it needs anything but ammo.

D. Good analogy: the reason my sports car convertible is a Honda S2000 and not a Jaguar or a BMW convertible. I've test drove the BMW, but not going to buy one out of warranty, and not going to pay the $50k for a new one.

A. The Rami the just sold was a deal! Don't let your issue with misfeeds tarnish your views of the Rami. It was simply a lubrication issue. Now you know and will apply that knowledge going forward.

5. It certainly got my attention. I should have called you and processed to get my courage up, but my then there would have been a line waiting anyway.

B. It also factors in to what you buy. A used CZ? More rounds the better! Give me a surplus CZ anyday! A Taurus? Might want the warranty...just saying...

5. My thoughts exactly.

C. So to answer your question directly. Go with your comfort level. Only you can answer the question.

6. As always, you input is balanced and insightful: thanks for taking the time!

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    If I constantly hear about how great CS service is I typically stay away from the manufacturer. I'd rather never have to use CS or any warranty. I've only had 1 gun malfunction out of the box. Took me less than $10 in parts to fix it myself.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If I constantly hear about how great CS service is I typically stay away from the manufacturer. I'd rather never have to use CS or any warranty. I've only had 1 gun malfunction out of the box. Took me less than $10 in parts to fix it myself.

I have yet to send a gun back for any reason. And yes I have had issues that the factory should have fixed. I can most generally fix any issues myself. If I can not I know a few guys. Screw warr. I do not buy with a Warr. in mind. Besides, whats the fun in not knowing.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have yet to send a gun back for any reason. And yes I have had issues that the factory should have fixed. I can most generally fix any issues myself. If I can not I know a few guys. Screw warr. I do not buy with a Warr. in mind. Besides, whats the fun in not knowing.

+1. I sent a 586 to Smith to do the "M" mod and I didn't have to do that.

I feel like if I own something I need to be able to work on it. I know people who own 1911's and are afraid to do anything more than field strip it. I took my time early on detail stripping my 1911 and I'm not quite to being able to do it blindfolded, but that is my goal.

I can take one completely apart throw all the parts in my "parts washer" and still manage to put it back together.

I actually practice field stripping my guns so I can do it fast.

I have used a gunsmith twice on a shotgun and a rifle and though he was considered one of the best, I was sorely disappointed in his workmanship.

I did however have Allen M put a new extractor in my 1911. I was there with some other great guys having a cleaning party and he graciously said he would install it for me. And since to do it correctly requires some specialized tools that I don't have, I was more than happy to have him do it.

But then again, I fix my own home, cars, lawnmower, etc, etc..

To summarize my philosophy I'd rather have quality so good that I don't have to find out how the customer service is vs. having to use customer service and a warranty.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    There are enough people here that know CZs or know someone that knows CZ, that I wouldn’t even think of the warranty before buying one.

On the other hand, I’m with CM that I don’t buy the warranty. If it has one and I have to use it great. Otherwise I can probably find people to fix it faster locally.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I hear and am encouraged by your testimonials about the networking available for assistance independent of CZ's warranty, or any other manufacturer.
    I don't feel "connected" well enough, b/c of my short tenure here, to avail myself to someone's expertise: in my own way I am reluctant/shy to impose on others, despite of my "chatty," forward, speak-w/o-filters type of approach in my writings, when it comes to saying: help!
    If someone did step up and volunteer to help if I had an issue, I would definitely pay them: I might be cheap, but I do not "use" people.

I have had some troubles before with different handguns, and gotten great advice, with gmcttr even coming over to my house early on and showed me how to clean guns, as simple as that is.
    I am not a "hands-on" type of person any more. Been there, done that, and I have no appetite for it anymore, nor any frame of reference with handguns.

Example:
    Working on my car years ago, I had a nightmare once trying to do a simple clutch adjustment, and I had the step-by-step directions printed out and was online with guys from the car club (S2KCA) and it took me 2-3 hours to do a simple :10 job b/c the nut I was supposed to be adjusting in the diagram was different than the one I was adjusting (b/c of lack of clarity of the pics I was using from S2KCA.
    It was most humbling and eye-opening episode for someone who grew up involved in many stages of home construction from his youth up (but not any car maintenance).
    Dad had his gifts, but he didn't even change his own oil even though he could do all stages of building a home: wiring (he was an electrician by trade), concrete and block-laying was another specialty, running water, gas, sewer lines ( he had all the tools to thread pipe and the like, and own concrete mixer, ha!)

I am still embarrassed that the Rami I loved was returned to the owner due to the trouble that I had with it.
    I didn't ask him to do that, he just graciously volunteered, and I was so stressed out from school and simply didn't want to deal with it and took the easy way out.
    It was nothing as an issue, as KJ said it would be, and therefore the embarrassment, and I lost out on a great Rami. (someday maybe I'll have one with a safety instead of a decocker perhaps: my idea of security, which it seems is a dated view, and it being a DA/SA makes that not so much of an issue like just being a SA).
    I would have simply put the Rami aside till I could get someone to check it out for me since I read about adjustments to the mags and other things and I was afraid I would mess it up by trying some of the things I read about: my mistake, and I feel like an idiot about it.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Being how it's a CZ.... Well, it could be in the "
    The Official Hot Rod Thread - Part 3: Money Pit Anonymous
    You go through a lot of guns. I'll assume it's just your way of enjoying your hobby.
    Expand the hobby, don't worry about a warranty, and tweek it out to where it fits you perfectly.
    Got any idea how many CZ nuts here on INGO that can fix or mod about anything the imagination is capable of producing?
    It's ONLY money (not mine) but it's another aspect of a great hobby (or obsession) to dive head first into.
    The question is... which one gives you a chubby and which one do you like best. That's the one to buy.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I have little interest in new CZs. If they don't have at least 10k rounds down the barrel they are still in the "break in" period. ;)

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Earlier this summer, I sent my early P10C in for warranty to fix a clocking striker. Their warranty request page asks for a copy of the original receipt. The repair was handled quickly once I sent it in but that requirement for the receipt would make me think twice about buying a used, early P10C. Other than that very specific instance, I have no issues with used CZs. I’ll buy as many as I can squeeze into the budget and safe.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    Earlier this summer, I sent my early P10C in for warranty to fix a clocking striker. Their warranty request page asks for a copy of the original receipt. The repair was handled quickly once I sent it in but that requirement for the receipt would make me think twice about buying a used, early P10C. Other than that very specific instance, I have no issues with used CZs. I’ll buy as many as I can squeeze into the budget and safe.
    Curious what would happen if you didn't have the receipt. I tend to throw away my receipts so my wife won't see them.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Curious what would happen if you didn't have the receipt. I tend to throw away my receipts so my wife won't see them.
    Hopefully, I don't have to find out. I'm not sure if the P10C I bought around December still has a receipt available. It has the early type slide too, so we may see as the round count on that one climbs.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Just fyi, this works both ways. I recently found out what it costs for my wife to take the two girls out to get their nails done. Ouch. I don't feel bad about ammo purchases anymore!

1. A friend of mine who goes with his wife to get pedicures @ $40 ea. = $80 total, makes fun of me going to the range.
    2. Good Grief! That's 8 boxes of 9mm or 24 boxes of .22LR!!!!

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    1. A friend of mine who goes with his wife to get pedicures @ $40 ea. = $80 total, makes fun of me going to the range.
    2. Good Grief! That's 8 boxes of 9mm or 24 boxes of .22LR!!!!

I can't believe that a red blooded male would admit to getting a pedicure. Just no thank you.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    I would buy a used CZ with CGW trigger job before any new CZ. Trust me try one before you buy anything. There are guys on here that will let you try theirs including me. Be warned once you try it you wont go back!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tatdale2
    Top Bottom