• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Would have posted in gun smithing but I thought it was a general interest thing.

Anyway local gun store & else where sell different brands of touch up blue & sells it in the bottle & pen form.

Anybody have a "this works best"?

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    I've used Formula 44/40 for decades with good results. Have recently played with Oxpho Blue and like it as well.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    The whole trick to getting good results with cold blue is 1) you must THOROUGHLY degrease the metal. Use acetone or lacquer thinner. 2) warm the metal just until it's too warm to hold in your hand - a hairdryer works well. 3) some ultra fine Scotchbrite or OOOO steel wool between applications to lightly "card off" the surface oxidation. But be aware that cold blue is very thin, very soft and will wear off in a few days on a gun that is handled a lot. I can cold blue a gun well enough it looks like a nice hot blue job - but it will not hold up. It also offers no protection from corrosion to the steel. I have used Brownells Oxpho blue for many years and it is about as good as it gets. But it's still just cold blue. Cold blue also makes your gun smell just like an old penny.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Have you tried the Blue Wonder line of products? They have both the gun blue and the gun black. Very easy to use. No need to steel wool between applications. Their gun cleaner is all that and a bag of chips. The cleaner with steel wool will take off rust and not harm the blue (and I mean not a scratch). The same stuff with a Scotch Bright pad will take off all the blue and leave bright metal.

hans1911

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Sep 10, 2018
    Covington
    I use Vans, as well as Brownells Oxpho Blue and 44/40. Depending on the steel, I’ve found some work much better than the others.

indianamoon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    South Bend
    Finally gave up on cold blue and have a problem finding someone to do a nice rust blue, so been having Belcher's Cerakote firearms a bunch.

Top Bottom