• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2012
    Zionsville, IN
    I’m interested in purchasing a new handgun but instead of a regular iron sights I like the idea of having a holographic red dot on the slide. In doing some research I found out I cannot mount one on my Beretta 92FS 9mm. So I’m looking for another 9mm. Does anybody have any ideas on this or any experience installing red dots on slides of handguns?

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    A good gun for the price, great trigger, optics ready; Canik TP9 SFx.

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    The initial production run of SFx had 3.5- 4lb triggers but in Sept, 2017 Canik announced the Severe Duty Upgrade that offered to replace parts if you have a habit of dropping your gun on concrete.
    The Upgrade replaced the original firing pin block spring with a stiffer spring that changed the trigger pull. My SFx was purchased prior to the announcement and I agree with Hop's comments - about the original manufacture run of SFx. But I have read reports of 5.5 lb pull weight in guns produced after the Upgrade announcement.
    The firing pin block spring can be replaced to achieve the original design's trigger pull but I think Canik overreacted in changing the specs on their production. I am curious as to why Canik website still cites the pull weight at 3.5-4 lbs.
    Does anyone have a model produced in 2018 that can confirm whether the trigger pull is still under 4 lbs or are the 5.5 lb reports accurate?

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    My Canik trigger is 4.5 lbs.

The gun fits the same Safariland GLS holster that my H&K VP9 fits but... I would need to double check the holster model # a it's not meant for the VP9 either.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I will never understand why a manufacture would make so many different derivations of a similar item.
    The dovetail of a gun site could be the exact same on every model slide.
    Now if someone prefers a certain type of site on a particular model gun.
    All they would have to do is order the preferred site and replace it.

No my X site on my model A will not except Y site because it fit Model B only.

smythe012

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.3%
    147   1   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    I’m interested in purchasing a new handgun but instead of a regular iron sights I like the idea of having a holographic red dot on the slide. In doing some research I found out I cannot mount one on my Beretta 92FS 9mm. So I’m looking for another 9mm. Does anybody have any ideas on this or any experience installing red dots on slides of handguns?

Are you wanting to stick with a steel frame or go to polymer?

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    I found that HK Parts has a replacement for the rear sight that is the plate to mount a Red dot.

I’m tempted to pick it up for my VP9.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Pic because I'm an attention whore.
    15f5a2ae9b8e4e7a5ffb5016308c0ef4.jpg

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Pic because I'm an attention whore.

I'll jump on the whore train. Switching from my G30s for carry to this once the holster gets in and I get some proficiency with it. OP, if you're looking to carry this gun, especially if you prefer to carry a gun with a light on it, Glock MOS might be your best bet due to wide compatibility of holsters, etc. If you're looking for a range or competition gun, you might not be as concerned with that. I will say that, as usual with anything Glock, your aftermarket support will be better with an MOS gun.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I'll jump on the whore train. Switching from my G30s for carry to this once the holster gets in and I get some proficiency with it. OP, if you're looking to carry this gun, especially if you prefer to carry a gun with a light on it, Glock MOS might be your best bet due to wide compatibility of holsters, etc. If you're looking for a range or competition gun, you might not be as concerned with that. I will say that, as usual with anything Glock, your aftermarket support will be better with an MOS gun.

How can you carry a gun with a red dot? Do you have to stop and turn the red dot on?

"Oh excuse me Mr. Bad Guy, can you hold on one sec while I turn on my red dot before I shoot you?" :): LOL!

Curious, because I have heard of others carrying this way as well. Then you also have to check it periodically to make sure the battery is still good.

Seems like a recipe for disaster to me, but maybe I am missing something.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    How can you carry a gun with a red dot? Do you have to stop and turn the red dot on?

"Oh excuse me Mr. Bad Guy, can you hold on one sec while I turn on my red dot before I shoot you?" :): LOL!

Curious, because I have heard of others carrying this way as well. Then you also have to check it periodically to make sure the battery is still good.

Seems like a recipe for disaster to me, but maybe I am missing something.

So I am going to assume this is a serious question. I have been carrying a RMR equipped Glock 19 for getting close to 10 years now. You leave it on all of the time. I have never not had the dot on when I needed it. If you go with something other than an RMR all bets are off. I replace my battery once a year

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    My RMR dual red dot doesn't have batteries. It uses tritium to light the dot @ night and has a light gathering band around the top to power the LED in the daytime.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    So I am going to assume this is a serious question. I have been carrying a RMR equipped Glock 19 for getting close to 10 years now. You leave it on all of the time. I have never not had the dot on when I needed it. If you go with something other than an RMR all bets are off. I replace my battery once a year

Here's the answer.
    If, for whatever reason, you wanted to carry with the dot off you simply press one of the buttons and the dot comes on. It can easily be done through a shirt while holstered.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Here's the answer.
    If, for whatever reason, you wanted to carry with the dot off you simply press one of the buttons and the dot comes on. It can easily be done through a shirt while holstered.

True story. Just not sure what question that is answering. To me carrying with the dot off is akin to carrying with an empty chamber.

Top Bottom