• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Not necessarily looking for a mini novel but what is the criteria you use in deciding what your EDC is going to be? Three part question...
    1. Most of us have gone through several different makes and models to come to a conclusion. I’ve heard people mention a couple hundred rounds to feel confident about reliability, what's your take on that?

2. I’m curious how many have gauged performance with a timer shooting at paper to make your final decision VS it just feels right.

3. Also what kind of performance you expect from yourself before you are comfortable enough to drop it in a holster and head downtown.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member /
    Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]
    [/FONT]

Last edited:

MontanaAreaCode

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2018
    Noblesville
    Carry a Glock 26, nice and concealable, the slightly extended mags with 12 rounds. Carry 2 extra mags on my belt. If you're not gonna get em in 36, you're not gonna get 'em IMO.

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    3 things...
    the gun has to be comfortable to wear
    cant be "printed" under a t shirt
    punch a big enough hole to be effective.

in the past ive carried several different guns,
    charter arms undercover 5 shot 38sp possibly the worst, no matter what i did, or where i carried it the damn thing jabbed me everytime i moved

glock 27 40S&W it's fairly light, but (to me) it's bulky, and always seem to "print" under a tshirt

1911 45ACP the heaviest of the 3, but (for me) it's been the easiest to conceal.

:cheers:

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Small, at least 9mm, reliable and enjoyable enough to shoot that you'll train regularly with it. I'm often stuck in dress clothes so size and weight is a major consideration.

Currently it's a Sig P365. Went 850 rounds without a single stoppage before entering EDC.

Backup to that it is a SW Model 60 that has been a CCW for decades. Simple and works.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Ruger LCP for shorts and tees. I had a Kahr that never failed, but it did stovepipe when a couple of women in my family shot it. Ehhh....the Ruger doesn't fail.

2 H&K's for OWB carry or jacket carry. P2000 and P30 both with LEM triggers. Once you go LEM, it's hard to switch. They eat anything and don't fail.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    For the past 10 years it's either been a Glock 19 or different models of HK's.
    I reasonably accurate with either. The Glock would shoot anything I put in it. My current EDC, a VP9 doesn't like standard pressure 115 gr.
    Shoots the +p stuff just fine.

I normally carry 2 spare mags.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I've been through a number of options over the years. I started with a Gen 3 Glock 26, but it was a bit bulky and printed, didn't point naturally for me, and not a lot of fun to shoot. Next was an SR9C that carried very nicely, actually quite slender for a double-stack, but I never really warmed up to the gun. As I started gravitating towards revolvers and hammer-fired pieces, next was a Model 640 J-Frame that carried insanely well. The cylinder (even though smallish with 5 rounds) was just a bit chunky, but otherwise this was a great carry option for me for quite a while. I then went to an HK P30SK, but that too was as bulky as the G26, and printed too much for my tastes. But dang was it as accurate as can be, and a surprisingly soft shooter for a polymer pistol. Left the HK for a CZ RAMI, but it was every bit as chunky as the HK and Glock. I gave it a really fair shake because it was such an amazingly accurate and fun gun to shoot for the size. But weight and chunkiness finally got me to the point of crewchief above in going with a Ruger SR1911 Officer Model in 9mm. Hundreds of rounds have been through it without so much as a sniffle, except for one single WWB round with the wrong OAL (bullet was pressed in too far) that also wouldn't chamber in other pistols we had at the range that day. It's slender, fairly light with the alloy frame, carries very nicely without much printing regardless of what I wear, plenty accurate, and is a very soft shooter for its size, even better than the heavier and chunkier RAMI was. I now have a DW ECO that will likely end up being my EDC once it's broken in, but so far the Ruger SR1911 Officer has completely surprised me and exceeded my expectations.

S9g2UQ3.jpg
    [/IMG]

Last edited:

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    G19 because 9mm is a staple everywhere as is glock parts, mags, holsters, sights etc. I don't have the mindset of what's really awesome right now. My mindset is what gun has a great track record over a long period of time and if SHTF, then how abundant are parts and mags for it? And is it in a common caliber that everyone has? The 19 isn't the most ergonomic but it's a fighting tool. I don't buy into the whole "it doesn't fit my hand" or "it doesn't feel right". Number of rounds down range before EDC is probably different with each firearm. Some have a fantastic reputation for reliability. Manufacturers aren't immune to putting out some lemons though. Glocks have great reputation for reliability and if I put 200-300 trouble free rounds through it then I'm confident in the gun. Same could be said for most Hks and German sigs

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    For me, it has to feel good in my hand has to feel like it points naturally. It has to relatively thin, with any safety levers, take down levers or slide locks need to be thin and as smooth to the slide as possible since those will be aginst my side. Then like so many others it has to be shot enough to make sure I am comfortable and accurate with it. I have never shot on any kind of timer to see what I might be faster with. Otherwise it has to ride comfortably in the holster and has to hide well under a T-shirt. Now with a T-shirt, I do expect it to print more than with other garments. Alpo mentioned an LCP for shorts and T-shirt carry. I am on board with that

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Glock 32

Reliable, lots of holster options to keep it concealed and comfortable, 357sig does pretty gnarly things to soft targets.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Op as for what kind of performance I expect of myself before dropping a gun in my holster and hitting the streets.. Well, for me so long aa the gun has proven accurate and reliable, it just comes down to how well I can string a grouping from a magazine. I guess so long as its paper plate size, then the rest falls back on prior training. And then getting out and training with the EDC gun. Reality is most public ranges frown on drawing from a holster because of liability. That's why actually paying for training will improve an individuals skill set. With a solid foundation of skills just running the rounds through a new gun to get acquainted is probably enough to start carrying a new edc

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    My default is what I'm paid to carry. If I can perform with it on par with my preferred gun, then I'd rather carry that. So, Glock 17M. Before that P226. I still prefer a hammer for holstering, but performance wise the 17M and P226 were same-same for me. Which was *not* the case with the Glock 22 vs P226, where the P226 was the clear winner.

I used the FAST and failure drills at 7y with a timer to make those determinations. Same for BUG, LCR vs Shield. Still a bit better with the LCR, to be honest, but I'm improving with the Shield.

I want a gun I can afford to have multiple copies of (or will be issued a replacement), has plentiful and cheap magazines if it's magazine fed, is easy to shoot and also easy to not shoot, somewhere between a 5 lb to 8 lb trigger. I am not a fan of thumb safeties. I like a rougher (or rubberized) grip that's easy to hold under different conditions (one thing I still like on the P226 over the 17M, G10 grips). I have some sight preferences. Otherwise...whatever. Well, of course, known brands with decent quality, vetted to run with carry ammo, etc. etc. I can make myself acclimate to most any gun if I need to. I just don't like switching back and forth.

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    My first cut is reliability. Fortunately, several makes are essentially as close to 100% reliable as a mass produced machine can be (Glock, Sig, S&W, FN, etc.).

After that, I narrow the choice to what I can shoot with adequate accuracy with the least amount of effort. This criterion narrowed things down to Sig P226/P229 and 1911-patterns.

The next cut is based on which is quicker to the first shot for me. This favored the SAO Sig and 1911s.

Then it comes down to which holds more bullets. SAO Sig beats single stack 1911 here. Could go with a wide body built on a 2011 or similar frame, but a SAO Sig wins in tie breaker for cost.

Size, comfort, etc. don't matter a lot to me. When I find something that is reliable and I can shoot well, I will find a way to make the carry part work.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    I have carried the Glock-22/27 combo fore a very long time. Usually the G-27 everywhere, and I have shot it and practiced with it firing thousands of rounds through it. One day the slide lock spring broke, and had to be replaced as well as a recoil spring assembly now and then. The G-22 is worn when needed nowadays, and has been shot a lot and practiced with of course.
    Years ago I bought a well worn Glock-23, shot it every now and then, and what the heck, while I am good with the G-22/27 combo this G-23 is my best shooter, so while I can and do holster one daily, a new found old friend will be with me and in rotation now for a long time.
    But I started a long time ago, when a Colt .45 Gov model, Commander, Light weight Commander, or Officers model was all the rage, then the Smith and Wesson gun of the month it seemed 9mm series, 39/59/459/639/5903/5906, I used, not to forget the specials 36/37,60 and 66.
    A Sig 226 was carried for a while, but then came GLOCK.
    I do own a Shield(s), but they are earmarked for two grandkids someday.
    Live long enough, and you too may get to carry and play with many a firearm, Maybe!

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    For now while it's warm I carry my Glock 26 when not at work. When at work, I carry my Glock 42, with my Glock 17 in the truck. I always have 2 spare mags for each pistol, a Leatherman multitool, Streamlight Protac, and a good folding knife.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    My carry habits have changed a bit over the course of the summer. Earlier this year, I was sporting a Glock 23 mostly but with a healthy dose of a Glock 30sf as summer got closer. Then, in April I screwed my right shoulder up (I’m a righty) and had to stop carrying for a bit until I was comfortable shooting lefty. Even then, I changed over to a P10C until I could shoot right handed again. Once I could shoot righty again, I picked up a Glock 27 and carried that until the end of July since that one allowed me to draw with limited shoulder movement without flagging myself.

In July, I had shoulder surgery. Before then, I put almost 2k rounds down range left handed because I knew that I was going to spend most of the summer without use of the right arm. After the surgery, I didn’t carry at all for a month and then when I did start to carry, initially it was pocket carrying the Glock 27 (with a good pocket holster) around the house. In September, I was released to actually leave the house and at that point, I started to carry the P10C in a left handed holster. I’ve done some shooting since I started getting out and about again and am happy with my performance on both paper and steel. I’m hoping to be able to use the right shoulder enough to draw a pistol within a couple of weeks and I’ll probably go back to the G27 for the fall. Once I get full motion back, I’ll be carrying either the G23 again or a .40 CZ P07.

What I carry is generally based on what I’m shooting well at any given time. I’m not as scientific about it as I should be, but if I’m contemplating switching a carry gun, I’ll head out to MCFG and run it to see if I’m doing well with it. If not, it goes back into the safe until I am shooting it at least as well as what I’m currently carrying. When I can ring the steel plates up and down the line fairly quickly from 10 yards, I’m feeling pretty good about a gun. I never did get there with the Glock 19s I had but was there very quickly with the Glock 23 and 30. The P10C seemed to click with me instantly too.

What gun I choose is based on what works for me. I have guns that I love to shoot, but don’t shoot that well so I tend to carry guns that I don’t like as much, but shoot better. I’ve gotten away from carrying guns with a safety and prefer either a decocker equipped DA/SA or striker fired gun. All personal preferences though.

wizardfitz

Expert
    Rating - 95.5%
    21   1   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    franklin,in
    My current is a glock 17, I wear a shirt 1 size larger and it disappears. As soon as I get a few hundred more rds thru my cz sp01 tactical it will he my carry. For shorts and my backup it's a ruger lcr 357.

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    I have also been though the "wondernine" years, and have found them wanting. I've carried revolvers, semi autos, and have come back to the 1911. Being competent at times is a frame of mind. Confidence in one'a ability and one's equipment carries the day.

My personal "carry" pistol is a customized Colt Officer's ACP. I believe in the .45, contrary to ammunition makers claims to the contrary. The 9mm is roughly equivalent to the .38 Special in power, and is the absolute minimum caliber to consider with regard to personal protection. Of course, that is my opinion. Actually, what the matter boils down to is what the individual feels comfortable with, and then practices regularly to maintain a certain level of proficiency.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Not necessarily looking for a mini novel but what is the criteria you use in deciding what your EDC is going to be? Three part question...
    1. Most of us have gone through several different makes and models to come to a conclusion. I’ve heard people mention a couple hundred rounds to feel confident about reliability, what's your take on that?

2. I’m curious how many have gauged performance with a timer shooting at paper to make your final decision VS it just feels right.

3. Also what kind of performance you expect from yourself before you are comfortable enough to drop it in a holster and head downtown.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member /
    Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]
    [/FONT]

1. IF it is a "factory reliable" make/model of gun (glock/m&p/etc), 300 no-malfunction rds is where I am comfortable on pure reliability grounds. If it is a more sensitive or "break in" gun (most 1911s/Kahr/etc.) more like 500.

2. I have had the same basic edc since way before I had access to a timer, so no.

3. Short answer is that I have to be at least as good with it as I am with whatever it is replacing. I have to be able to clear it consistently from a retention holster from concealment. It has to have true sights, and I have to have run it hard enough on the range in both fast and slow fire to be confident in it. That said, there are relatively few guns I would not be willing to carry concealed if the other option was nekkid.

My current is a M&P 45 2.0 in an ALS holster. I just recently went with the ALS, so I have taken a step back speed wise, because I figure they making me a clean break is going to be the best way to get that muscle memory rewritten. I used to carry a lightweight 1911, and while I have one again, relearning it would be just too big of a step backward despite how much I like that platform. A Glock 19 would be another pistol I would be fine with carrying, definitely easier to shoot than the 45. Not a 40 fan as I don't shoot most of them well in rapid fire.

Last edited:

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    For me, I have found I hate to carry any more than I have too. Also for some reason I have more difficulty than most concealing a pistol. Weird I guess. So I went with the smallest pistol I could find that had a good reputation in a caliber I could trust. The Kahr CM9 fit that bill. I have tried several others. And many I like better, that just do not carry as easily. I have 7 rounds of 147 grain Federal HST loaded and at minimum an 8 round mag for back up. It has always been reliable for me, and it's twin is in the safe for back up. I shoot it very well. I practice regularly on steal targets out back.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom