handgun found in vehicle bought in estate sale.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I heard this weekend a guy bought a nice SUV that has factory compartments that are fairly hidden. These are not modifications, all models like this have these spaces, but if you don't know this model apparently you are not likely to know to look here.
    Several days later they find the space and a loaded 9mm handgun is in it.
    Previous owner passed away, hence the estate sale, was an Indiana resident, and apparently fairly wealthy.
    That's all the details I know.
    Any legal requirements?
    "Right thing to do" suggestions regardless of legalities?
    What advice would you give a friend that described this situation?

BTW, they own guns, have LTCH, but not "gun people" and at the time of me hearing this don't know the make, model, or other details of the gun. I'll update when I hear. They "think" they remember it saying "sky" or something similar on it.

wizardfitz

Expert
    Rating - 95.5%
    21   1   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    franklin,in
    similar thing happened to me.Bought a house as is, after after dozens of trips to the dump just to clean the basement to a point where i could walk through, i found a stash of cash

Good on paper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 18, 2017
    Indianapolis
    If it had a crack in the block rather than a ‘glock in the box’ the new owner would likely be responsible for it assuming it was purchased as is.
    That is unless it’s a Dan Wesson or Les Baer single stack 9mm, then it’s mine and I want it back. :)

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    similar thing happened to me.Bought a house as is, after after dozens of trips to the dump just to clean the basement to a point where i could walk through, i found a stash of cash

Hey, I've been missing a stash of cash.
    It was green with numbers on both sides, right? See?
    I accidentally left it in my old basement at my old house in that town you live in. :):

Last edited:

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I view it as contractual threshold question. When they purchased the SUV was it "SUV and its contents"? Or, just the SUV?

Everyone was SSOOoooo positive then the lawyer had to step in and start finding possible hiccups. :):
    Kidding aside, that is an interesting point. I'll try to see how it was setup. Thanks

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Auctions are usually As Is Where Is so unless the paperwork says otherwise they bought everything in the vehicle. Plus, you know where you bought the gun the ATF knocks on your door.

Doubt he kept a Colt Python hidden in his vehicle so its probably of little value?

I've gotten tools, CDs, cassettes, 8-tracks, a bag of pot (no - I trashed it), misc clothing, sticky change, french fries but never a gun...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    These days if you are doing the auction thing the cars have been rifled through by the auction staff so not much of anything past a used condom (seriously) and the hard gum deposits left in them.

Estate sales apparently are not this way.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Honestly I would return the gun or at the very least call the seller. With my luck the gun would get reported as stolen. Not worth the hassle and potential liability. Very likely the estate would not even want it back in which case I would keep it, but if they did want it I would return it.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Auctions are usually As Is Where Is so unless the paperwork says otherwise they bought everything in the vehicle. Plus, you know where you bought the gun the ATF knocks on your door.

Doubt he kept a Colt Python hidden in his vehicle so its probably of little value?

I've gotten tools, CDs, cassettes, 8-tracks, a bag of pot (no - I trashed it), misc clothing, sticky change, french fries but never a gun...
    Were the bag of weed and 8-tracks in a van?

Top Bottom