• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HodgeStyle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 11, 2018
    Scott County
    I purchased a Charter Arms Police Undercover for a great price. I am just curious as to why i can not find any other like mine that has the 4 inch barrel. Looked on youtube for reviews, google, and there website and all i found is the 2.2 inch model. Does anybody else have one or shot one as to let me in on any advice to shooting a wheelgun. I went cheap for my first wheelgun so as not to get in too deep and not like it and go back to polymer frame double stack mag guns.

http://imgur.com/gallery/jtYf1Fp

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I purchased a Charter Arms Police Undercover for a great price. I am just curious as to why i can not find any other like mine that has the 4 inch barrel. Looked on youtube for reviews, google, and there website and all i found is the 2.2 inch model. Does anybody else have one or shot one as to let me in on any advice to shooting a wheelgun. I went cheap for my first wheelgun so as not to get in too deep and not like it and go back to polymer frame double stack mag guns.

Will add pics when i figure out how to resize them on my phone...

Save them to imgur. then copy the link here

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    7eSKMa8.jpg

HodgeStyle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 11, 2018
    Scott County
    Yeah, im hoping it will be. Ill be taking it to the range this weekend. They threw in 50 rounds of jackets and 25 rounds of hornady defense with my purchase so that will give me a good idea of how it handles. I just was curious to how many people have seen or shot the 4 in barrel. Still can't find it online anywhere. But im definitely changing the grips out. I do not like that rubber feel. Im going with rosewood.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Nice little gun. I swapped off all my factory grips too. Mainly because I hate finger groves.

HodgeStyle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 11, 2018
    Scott County
    Learned something about this gun today from my dealer. Turns out, they only made a select amount of this model with the 4in barrel to sell to 1 distributor only. He bought every one of them, then sold only 500 total. So this 4in model i have is kinda unique.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Learned something about this gun today from my dealer. Turns out, they only made a select amount of this model with the 4in barrel to sell to 1 distributor only. He bought every one of them, then sold only 500 total. So this 4in model i have is kinda unique.

I was just going to say that the 4" Charter Arms revolvers are kinda rare...having one would be pretty cool. Congrats on the 'find'!

I know a lotta people like '+P' when it comes to a .38 special round...but I'm a big fan of the standard pressure 158 grain JHP from Hornady...it's heavy enough to get adequate penetration (without additional 'pop') because the 158 grain round is big enough to help generate it's own momentum. Plus, it's as, if not more, accurate that many of the faster moving +P rounds...with a (somewhat) lighter recoil! In a 4" model...I'll bet it's downright smooth!

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn

Any chance you would be able to PM me the dealer's business name and email address? I'd consider inquiring about one of those myself.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Just theorizing, but a 4" barrel would make the gun harder to conceal, perhaps under cutting the whole concept of the "under cover" series.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I know a lotta people like '+P' when it comes to a .38 special round...but I'm a big fan of the standard pressure 158 grain JHP from Hornady...it's heavy enough to get adequate penetration (without additional 'pop') because the 158 grain round is big enough to help generate it's own momentum. Plus, it's as, if not more, accurate that many of the faster moving +P rounds...with a (somewhat) lighter recoil! In a 4" model...I'll bet it's downright smooth!

Ignoring that a bullet can't generate it's own momentum at any weight, the 158gr standard pressure doesn't expand even under ideal conditions. You are basically running a more expensive flat tip bullet. Penetration is, however, quite adequate.

HodgeStyle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 11, 2018
    Scott County
    Any chance you would be able to PM me the dealer's business name and email address? I'd consider inquiring about one of those myself.

The business that i bought mine from only had the 1 i purchased. However i might be able to squeeze some info out of him for ya on who the distributor was who originally purchased them.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    HodgeStyle
    Plinker
    Bought my first wheelgun today!
    I purchased a Charter Arms Police Undercover for a great price. I am just curious as to why i can not find any other like mine that has the 4 inch barrel. Looked on youtube for reviews, google, and there website and all i found is the 2.2 inch model. Does anybody else have one or shot one as to let me in on any advice to shooting a wheelgun. I went cheap for my first wheelgun so as not to get in too deep and not like it and go back to polymer frame double stack mag guns. HodgeStyle

1. I started out with a Charter Arms snubbie back in May 2017, but b/c of my reading here, when I had the chance I got a S/W 642 hammerless at Cabelas ($300), and then after over a year, I just bought ($325) a Ruger LCR .357 (with .38 specials) and it was everything they claimed: less recoil, smoother trigger and better accuracy (for me).
    2. I tried a longer barrel Ruger earlier on, but the barrel (don't remember whether 3" or 4") didn't work for CC for me at the time, but I remember it was a smooth shooter.
    3. Good luck and enjoy your gun. If you are like many others, you will move on to something else as you try out the range rental varieties. Or not. :dunno:

Last edited:

HodgeStyle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 11, 2018
    Scott County
    HodgeStyle
    Plinker
    Bought my first wheelgun today!
    I purchased a Charter Arms Police Undercover for a great price. I am just curious as to why i can not find any other like mine that has the 4 inch barrel. Looked on youtube for reviews, google, and there website and all i found is the 2.2 inch model. Does anybody else have one or shot one as to let me in on any advice to shooting a wheelgun. I went cheap for my first wheelgun so as not to get in too deep and not like it and go back to polymer frame double stack mag guns. HodgeStyle

1. I started out with a Charter Arms snubbie back in May 2017, but b/c of my reading here, when I had the chance I got a S/W 642 hammerless at Calelas ($300), and then after over a year, I just bought ($325) a Ruger LCR .357 (with .38 specials) and it was everything they claimed: less recoil, smoother trigger and better accuracy (for me).
    2. I tried a longer barrel Ruger earlier on, but the barrel (don't remember whether 3" or 4") didn't work for CC for me at the time, but I remember it was a smooth shooter.
    3. Good luck and enjoy your gun. If you are like many others, you will move on to something else as you try out the range rental varieties. Or not. :dunno:

Your right about that. I am already looking in a Ruger SP101 match champion (.357). I want to upgrade after only a short week of owning this wheel gun.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Your right about that. I am already looking in a Ruger SP101 match champion (.357). I want to upgrade after only a short week of owning this wheel gun.
    Take a look at some of Ruger’s older offerings. The Service Six or Speed Six are some of my favorites. Incredibly tough, well built, and pretty affordable these days.

HodgeStyle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 11, 2018
    Scott County
    Take a look at some of Ruger’s older offerings. The Service Six or Speed Six are some of my favorites. Incredibly tough, well built, and pretty affordable these days.

I will look into that. I gotta say tho, once my ffl guy showed me that Ruger, i fell in love with it. It just feels good to hold onto, and for the money he wants for it, i feel i have to buy it. He is asking way under the MSRP. I think it was 600.00 total.

Top Bottom