• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shift Zombie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    Sig P365 Range Review (MFG 9/2018) UPDATE 9/26/18

I’ve been eyeballing the Sig P365 since I saw the announcement featuring the physics defying magazine and diminutive size of the firearm. I haven’t, however, seen it in person till today. The first thing that came to mind was “its itty bitty”. It looks like a toy. There’s something about it that’s almost comical. I asked the salesman to view a sample, fondled it, appreciating the texture of the grip, and found it fit my hand well. With the flush magazine inserted, I can fit my entire hand on the grip. Though, I find I prefer the 10 round magazine with extension over the 12 rounder. The X-Ray sight picture is quite nice, imo. I don’t have any experience with the P320 series, so didn’t know what to expect with the trigger and was pleasantly surprised by its break/reset. I asked for the date of MFG., knowing full well the struggle bus is real with this upstart. The sample that I walked away with is from September 2018, as recent as one could hope for. Off to the range I went with a friend in tow. Another interested party waiting to see if the gun would explode or fall apart when the fire began. Today, two people shot the P365, myself included obviously. We used 100 rounds of Winchester “Military Service Grade” 115g, 100 rounds of Blazer Brass 124g, 20 rounds of 147g target ammo(assorted/misc), 18 rounds of Winchester 147g JHP, 50 rounds of 115g competition loaded ammo which barely makes power factor in USPSA. I shot the firearm straight out-of-the-box. I did not clean it or the magazines prior. I found it to be a bit tight initially, so I graced it with the 124g ammo first to loosen it up. Shooting at a USPSA target at 7 yards, just to get a sight picture, we both found it easy to group with all Alphas on the torso and no issues grouping on the head. I set two plate racks up at 10 yards and went 10/10 easily the first go. I replicated this and moved out to 20 yards finding similar results, 10/10. We also had a 10” steel plate set up. Furthest shots were at 36 yards, consistently granting 7/10 hits with both shooters. At, 30 yards 9/10. At 25, it was back to 10/10. We blazed though all ammo in the span of ~30 minutes with some rapid fire. With my grip, the gun locked back every time. However, it never locked back for my compatriot. We used two 10 round magazines and a 12 round. In all, ZERO MALFUNCTIONS to report. The above report is not to sway you that I’m a Grand Master shooter or anything. Please understand I am attempting to relay just how shootable this ridiculous little pistol is. This pistol left me confident I could strike any target I placed the green orb over. In my hand, recoil is entirely manageable if not soft. Perhaps foolishly, I boasted I would be bringing this to the next USPSA match. It's absolutely what I intend to do though. My Pivothead batteries died at the match today so I was unable to record this first session, but there will be more. I plan on bringing this nonsense to you fine folk. On a secondary note, I can see this gun smashing all competition in IDPA BUG division. Looking at the internals, it’s dirty. Otherwise, I cannot detect any significant wear. I’ll keep you all updated. Based on my data, it appears to be a good firearm. . .thus far. . .

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Great feedback! :thumbsup:

The first time I shot a friend's 365 I was blown away with its accuracy and how the 12 round mag felt in my hand.
    It immediately replaced my beloved Shield 9 after a break-in trust period.
    I had a 40' head shot pic, but not all the rounds made it there, some missed.
    The first time I shot my friend's 365 it was just about as accurate as whatever CZ I had at the time.
    My friend's was well-broken in at over 900 rounds.

gdwyn1a.jpg

UpjmtHX.jpg

P5G7qr5.jpg

Last edited:

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I’ve been eyeballing the Sig P365 since I saw the announcement featuring the physics defying magazine and diminutive size of the firearm. I haven’t, however, seen it in person till today. The first thing that came to mind was “its itty bitty”. It looks like a toy. There’s something about it that’s almost comical. I asked the salesman to view a sample, fondled it, appreciating the texture of the grip, and found it fit my hand well. With the flush magazine inserted, I can fit my entire hand on the grip. Though, I find I prefer the 10 round magazine with extension over the 12 rounder. The X-Ray sight picture is quite nice, imo. I don’t have any experience with the P320 series, so didn’t know what to expect with the trigger and was pleasantly surprised by its break/reset. I asked for the date of MFG., knowing full well the struggle bus is real with this upstart. The sample that I walked away with is from September 2018, as recent as one could hope for. Off to the range I went with a friend in tow. Another interested party waiting to see if the gun would explode or fall apart when the fire began. Today, two people shot the P365, myself included obviously. We used 100 rounds of Winchester “Military Service Grade” 115g, 100 rounds of Blazer Brass 124g, 20 rounds of 147g target ammo(assorted/misc), 18 rounds of Winchester 147g JHP, 50 rounds of 115g competition loaded ammo which barely makes power factor in USPSA. I shot the firearm straight out-of-the-box. I did not clean it or the magazines prior. I found it to be a bit tight initially, so I graced it with the 124g ammo first to loosen it up. Shooting at a USPSA target at 7 yards, just to get a sight picture, we both found it easy to group with all Alphas on the torso and no issues grouping on the head. I set two plate racks up at 10 yards and went 10/10 easily the first go. I replicated this and moved out to 20 yards finding similar results, 10/10. We also had a 10” steel plate set up. Furthest shots were at 36 yards, consistently granting 7/10 hits with both shooters. At, 30 yards 9/10. At 25, it was back to 10/10. We blazed though all ammo in the span of ~30 minutes with some rapid fire. With my grip, the gun locked back every time. However, it never locked back for my compatriot. We used two 10 round magazines and a 12 round. In all, ZERO MALFUNCTIONS to report. The above report is not to sway you that I’m a Grand Master shooter or anything. Please understand I am attempting to relay just how shootable this ridiculous little pistol is. This pistol left me confident I could strike any target I placed the green orb over. In my hand, recoil is entirely manageable if not soft. Perhaps foolishly, I boasted I would be bringing this to the next USPSA match. It's absolutely what I intend to do though. My Pivothead batteries died at the match today so I was unable to record this first session, but there will be more. I plan on bringing this nonsense to you fine folk. On a secondary note, I can see this gun smashing all competition in IDPA BUG division. Looking at the internals, it’s dirty. Otherwise, I cannot detect any significant wear. I’ll keep you all updated. Based on my data, it appears to be a good firearm. . .thus far. . .

Thanks for the write up and the great comment on the P365. I shot one as well a month or two ago, and was totally impressed.

Helpful hint: Paragraph spaces will help with the readability of your post.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    My experience with the P365 echos yours. It is an excellent platform and shoots bigger than its size.

I have 875ish rounds through mine. It is now my ccw.

I might have missed a line or two in your post. Paragraphs please. :)

510picker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2017
    Martinsville
    Thanks for taking the time to post your review. A friend has one of these, but I've yet to shoot it. Hoping to get to try it out soon, but also afraid I will want one after I do!

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    My P365 has 739 rounds through it. Build date of 6/20/18. I've only had 2 failures to extract, which were both Federal Aluminum cased ammo and the casings got stuck in the chamber, ammo issues not the gun. Zero issues with brass case ammo and Federal 147gr HST. This gun defies logic in both capacity and shootability. It has replaced my FNS-9C as my EDC. The 12rd mags are amazing to shoot with. The first "pocket" gun I could enjoy shooting all day long.

Iurobz

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Thanks for the great review. Stopped by the store today and checked out their range gun (they didn’t have one for sale). Feels great in the hand. I think it may have replaced the G43 as my next purchase.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for the great review. Stopped by the store today and checked out their range gun (they didn’t have one for sale). Feels great in the hand. I think it may have replaced the G43 as my next purchase.

1. I was so impressed with the Sig 365 I sold my G43 and Shield 9.
    2. The G43 didn't do anything for me anyway, but I loved the Shield 9 and had it longer than any other gun with the exception maybe of the S/W 642 snubbie (can't remember which was first).
    3. Replaced the 642 with a Ruger LCR, but that's another story that's already been told.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I am at 3K rounds through my March 2018 made P365 with no issues as well. Thiugh between range trips the pistol is cleaned and lubed with the striker being checked to ensure it is intact.

Shift Zombie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    I managed to hit the range this morning. I brought 100 rounds of TulAmmo 115g steel cased, 100 rounds of Federal Champion aluminum 115g, 50 rounds of Perfecta 115g brass, and 17 rounds of loose Federal champion 115g brass I found loitering at the bottom of my range bag. The 365 was taken to the range as dirty as it was last time, I have yet to clean it or the mags.

All rounds fired off without malfunction and it locked back each time. I attempted to generate a malfunction by stacking a mag steel, aluminum, brass. It easily passed that small test as well. All rounds were fired as fast as I could load within a 25 minute stretch. The gun has been quite hot each outing. There were no light primer strikes either, just to specify. In fact, I would say the striker extends out quite far while igniting the rounds. The Tula steel had significant impact marks and drag on the primers. The other ammunition had average marks by my non-expert estimation.

Over 500 rounds down the pipe now, more dirty than it should reasonably be IMO, and not a single hiccup. The internals are filthy, but otherwise I do not see any concerning wear. I have no reservations about using this firearm as a carry piece, at this time. Nor has my experience lead me to believe that I should be concerned about it. I’ll keep an eye on the striker in the mean time.

IMG_3705.JPG

FullSizeRender.jpg

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I managed to hit the range this morning. I brought 100 rounds of TulAmmo 115g steel cased, 100 rounds of Federal Champion aluminum 115g, 50 rounds of Perfecta 115g brass, and 17 rounds of loose Federal champion 115g brass I found loitering at the bottom of my range bag. The 365 was taken to the range as dirty as it was last time, I have yet to clean it or the mags.

All rounds fired off without malfunction and it locked back each time. I attempted to generate a malfunction by stacking a mag steel, aluminum, brass. It easily passed that small test as well. All rounds were fired as fast as I could load within a 25 minute stretch. The gun has been quite hot each outing. There were no light primer strikes either, just to specify. In fact, I would say the striker extends out quite far while igniting the rounds. The Tula steel had significant impact marks and drag on the primers. The other ammunition had average marks by my non-expert estimation.

Over 500 rounds down the pipe now, more dirty than it should reasonably be IMO, and not a single hiccup. The internals are filthy, but otherwise I do not see any concerning wear. I have no reservations about using this firearm as a carry piece, at this time. Nor has my experience lead me to believe that I should be concerned about it. I’ll keep an eye on the striker in the mean time.

View attachment 70495

View attachment 70494

What is your build date?

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    doddge do you carry the Sig 365, daily?

1. No, we don't have that kind of relationship yet. :D
    2. Actually, I do want to put a few hundred more rounds through it: remember, I'm the one with trust issues with a semi-auto: sorry! :dunno:
    3. I teach school, so I can't carry much anyway, and I can't even have one in the car on campus. When I run an errand in the evening (rare, unless going to the range or a home Bible study :laugh:) I grab my revolver mostly, like I've always done. I did learn to trust my Shield 9: never an issue.
    4. I intend for the Sig 365 to get to the Shield 9's level, though.

Shift Zombie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    I ran another ~170 rounds of Federal 115g brass through the P365 today at an Outlaw IDPA Zombie match with zero malfunctions. I have yet to clean this firearm. Nearly 1k down the pipe without cleaning the tool or magazines and not a hiccup to be found. Due to the round count per stage at today’s match, I ran it in Stock Service Pistol and placed 8/41 in SSP and 16/63 overall. Not bad considering my lackluster appearance on the match scene this year, this being me 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] match in almost 4 months, with a micro pistol to boot. If I’m to continue using the 365 as a match gun, I’m going to search out a magwell. . .as silly as that seems. . .and work on retraining myself to use the slide stop rather than the sling shot method to chamber a round. Most of my firearms have that “feature” where the slide shuts with an aggressive reload, the 365 does not. Overall, I still feel it’s a shooter and will get better as I become used to it in a match setting.

Top Bottom