• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    I have a glock slide that was ceracoated and required minor removal of some ceracoat during assembly. Everything seems to work normally off the frame when this now complete slide drops on a frame the trigger fails to reset fully when cycled. It does move forward marginally (enough for a single click, allowing for a gritty trigger pull) but its only maybe 1/3 of its normal travel and the safe action blade doesn't return at all. I cant tell if the striker is coming through.

All my googling suggests a variety of frame based problems, which is expected. The hiccup is that three different frames behave exactly the same with this slide. Conversely all 3 frames work as normal with either of the other 2 slides. I have also tried swapping barrels and recoil springs on a whim but to no avail.

Thoughts? Where do I still have some ceracoat gumming things up....

Gen 3 Glock 17.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    There will be Glock experts along shortly, but I had a similar problem awhile back. A little spring broke on mine. When you rack the gun, can you reset the trigger by pushing the trigger forward?

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I’d take the slide apart and make sure that no coating is gumming up the action, both the safety plunger and firing pin channel

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    I cannot manually push the trigger forward. I didnt try much force.

I did that initially as I had to remove coating to get the parts in. Although I will disassemble it again tonight. More wondering if a layer is a little too thick somewhere still.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    WOW!
    That should not happen. They are nothing but dependable since the first one was manufactured. I don't have many but the ones I do own are so reliable that I have no hesitation betting my life they'd work every time. I couldn't even imagine if mine had a trigger problem. I've never even heard of any of them having trigger problems. Does this even happen out there?

If it were my gun, I would send it back to Sig Sauer right away and let us know what they say.

.....wait. Did you say Glock? Nevermind...... :rolleyes:

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Sounds like your cerakote "guy" has put you in the proverbial trick bag. Everyone I know that does coatings reassemble the gun to make sure it's functional. I wouldn't even guess without looking at it what the problem is but if it worked prior to the coating I would imagine the coating IS the problem. The coating is not easily removed, that's why people like it. I would consider taking it back to the guy that buggered it up and tell him to fix it but on second thought if he's that inept I wouldn't want him to touch it again. If you are around Greenwood I could take a look at it for you but honestly the guy that screwed it up should take care of it.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    WOW!
    That should not happen. They are nothing but dependable since the first one was manufactured. I don't have many but the ones I do own are so reliable that I have no hesitation betting my life they'd work every time. I couldn't even imagine if mine had a trigger problem. I've never even heard of any of them having trigger problems. Does this even happen out there?

If it were my gun, I would send it back to Sig Sauer right away and let us know what they say.

.....wait. Did you say Glock? Nevermind...... :rolleyes:

I can drop my glock all day long tho. :D and the problem is with the aftermarket coating not the gun :D

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    Was the Striker channel liner removed and replaced when it was cerakoted? Not sure if it would cause that exact issue, but believe that needs to be removed and a new one inserted when cerakoting a slide due to the heat used to bake the coating on.

https://www.glockstore.com/Glock-Firing-Pin-Channel-Liner

Cerakote in the firing pin channel or safety plunger hole or both causing binding

I would put money on the table it has something to do with those posts above. ^^^^^^

Was this done by a professional shop? A pro shop would realize that there are specific parts on any firearm that cannot be coated as the thickness of the coatings would change dimensions and would cause binding issues with other parts. So those areas will have to be taped off, or something to that effect, to keep critical clearance areas coating free.

I have seen people who coat their own slide forget about the firing pin channel liner. Since it doesn't drop out when disassembling a Glock, most people forget this exists. Get coating on that or even worse, bake your slide with the liner still in it, that liner will be messed up and cause nothing but headaches.

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    First, get a new Cerakote applicator...

You need to replace the firing pin channel liner... I’m willing to bet almost anything on this based on the description you have of the Cerakote job. The Cerakote on your slide has been applied way to thick if it needed some “minor removal”. This alone tells me the applicator is garbage. It also tells me he didn’t remove the channel liner prior to baking it. If he never removed it, he never replaced it.

if that doesn’t fix it, which I am sure it will I bet whoever worked on the gun thought bending the connector to fit more flush with the trigger mechanism housing was a good idea... smh.

Try the chanel linner first, if that doesn’t fix it look up how to adjust a Glock connector. It needs to be bent back out and it will resolve your issue. At least that would be my first two guesses.

if you have a lighter striker spring in it that could also be the issue.

Start there let us know if that helped!!

Top Bottom