• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Deuce

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    Indianapolis
    So my new Kimber Micro 9 Crimson Carry arrived last week and I definitely wasn't impressed with the pretty little gal's performance. As always with a new gun, I broke down, cleaned, and lubed her up before she fired a single round. Unfortunately our first date still didn't go nearly the way I'd hoped it would and she had A LOT of trouble extracting spent casings. I thought maybe she was just a picky eater the range grade ammunition I was using wasn't to her liking, but when she still had problems extracting the premium hand loaded ammo I brought for our second date, I immediately regretted buying that little hottie bc she looked so damn fine over the P365.

After 400 or so rounds fired, having to already replace the batteries in the Crimson Trace laser grips, and already replace the fiber-optic rod in the front sight, I still regret my decision, but I did figure out what she needed to extract casings efficiently...a WHOLE LOTTA lube on that hole of hers. Lol :banana:

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Nothing like having gun oil stains on your good pants from your carry gun. lol Sorry for your loss, glad you know what it takes to make it work now though.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Interesting, mine runs fine only mildly lubed. different ends of the manufacturing tolerances I guess.

Mines had a few feeding/extracting failures but seldom in my hands. failures have always been from new or small (100lb ballpark) shooters. Being a small and light gun, it will be more sensitive to a less than rock solid grip and I suspect that increasing the lube just widens it's narrow tolerance. It works but it's not the root cause.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    No, lube is not the actual cause of your extraction problem. The gun should run, for a while anyway, completely dry if it is clean and properly built. Oil does not a make gun run - it only reduces wear. We're not talking about an M 60 or a M249 SAW. It's a semi auto pistol. The extractor and/or the chamber's dimensions and finish are the problem. After years of working on many different makes of handguns I would never buy anything from Kimber. They're all about mass production and sales. What I find interesting is that the first generation of Kimber 1911s were the equal of anything Wilson Combat has ever built. They really were. But then I found out they didn't actually make those guns. Chip McCormick built them for Kimber. Yes, I AM bashing Kimber - they deserve it.

Last edited:

Vanguard.45

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Sorry to hear about your troubles.

Kimber does make pretty guns. And their magazine ads are incredible.

They just don't know how to make reliable pistols.

Sorry once again for your issues.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    A couple came in the range awhile back with a brand new his and hers pair of kimber micro 9s, one fired one round and broke (don’t know what broke exactly, wasn’t in there at the time), the other wouldn’t fire at all, and that’s just the most recent example of kimber nonsense. I see better reliability out of hi points.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    They sure do spend a lot of money on advertising.

And it is why thy keep selling them.
    I talk to entry level 1911 people a lot. They want that 1st cool 1911 and they always drop the Kimber/Colt names. It is hard not to put my "OH HELL NO" face on when there are so many other more reliable and cost effective brands out there.....:dunno:

To the OP.....I am not directly knocking your purchase. But with all the negative about Kimbers posted in this forum I have to speak up.

Yes, there are some good ones out there. If you have one and like it :) enjoy it.

Deuce

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I'm new to this forum so I didn't see all the negative talk about kimber here. I'm sure it wouldn't have made a difference though because I did see negative reviews on YouTube and other online forums. Lol It seems to me that you can find positive and negative reviews on just about every item available for purchase, so against my instinct I let the Kimber beauty sway me in hopes that I'd be chalking up one more positive review to the tally...lesson learned. :oldwise:

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I'm new to this forum so I didn't see all the negative talk about kimber here. I'm sure it wouldn't have made a difference though because I did see negative reviews on YouTube and other online forums. Lol It seems to me that you can find positive and negative reviews on just about every item available for purchase, so against my instinct I let the Kimber beauty sway me in hopes that I'd be chalking up one more positive review to the tally...lesson learned. :oldwise:

Yea, you don't shoot a Kimber. You keep 'em oiled up and polish them shiny. Purty stuff.

Deuce

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I'm starting to think that maybe she just needed to be broke in because I've fired a few hundred more rounds through her since posting this using a minimal amount of lube and didn't have a single malfunction. My confidence in the purdy girl has gotten to the point where I started carrying her in place of other very reliable pistols that I own...tbh now that I have faith that she'll shoot if/when I need her, I'm finding it harder and harder to carry anything else. She's just so dadgum petite and comfortable that she makes carrying my other pistols feel as if I were carrying this... 20181002_160106.jpg lol :shoot:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

I just now saw your join date.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I have a Micro 9 I got as an FNRA sponsor gun. Haven't shot it yet. I do love my CDP II and have had zero problems with it. Of course it was manufactured in 2002 so probably better QC back then.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    My wife wanted the Micro 9 Raptor. While shopping around for it I spent time reading reviews on line, and the general consensus was that these guns can be very finicky. Obviously the negatives will tend to get posted more often than the positives, squeaky wheel and all that, but it was enough to turn me off this being a carry gun for her.

She does have a Pro Covert II that has been reliable over a couple of thousand rounds, but it's a little too large for her carry purse.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    My wife wanted the Micro 9 Raptor. While shopping around for it I spent time reading reviews on line, and the general consensus was that these guns can be very finicky. Obviously the negatives will tend to get posted more often than the positives, squeaky wheel and all that, but it was enough to turn me off this being a carry gun for her.

She does have a Pro Covert II that has been reliable over a couple of thousand rounds, but it's a little too large for her carry purse.

Got mine for the wife originally, she liked the feel at the show but didn't like the snap on the range. I don't blame you for that and wouldn't give mine to my wife to carry either.

Top Bottom