• Vanguard.45

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Hello, all!

I wanted to post my observations from a recent outing at the range. I had on hand my GLOCK 19x and my Dan Wesson Guardian. Both of these pistols are in the "Commander" configuration with a full size grip and a compact length slide/barrel. The differences in their weights empty is remarkable, with the GLOCK weighing 22.05 oz. and the Guardian weighing 28.5 oz., but their weights fully loaded is most likely comparable due to the fact that the GLOCK holds ten more rounds of 9mm than the Guardian. Fully loaded, the GLOCK weighs 30.87 oz. while the Guardian weighs 32.91 oz. Now that all of that is out of the way, on to my observations.

Taking the time to shoot both pistols side by side, it became readily apparent that the recoil impulse of the 1911 was SIGNIFICANTLY less than the GLOCK. The 1911's recoil was smooth and subtle, with very little discomfort or trauma to my hands. The GLOCK, on the other hand, felt like I was being punched squarely in the palm. It was startling to feel the contrast. I know the GLOCK has a lower bore axis which reduces muzzle flip theoretically, but that trade off is having the recoil hitting your hands straight on as opposed to the 1911's deflected recoil (that is the only way I can describe it). A few days later, I fired an M&P striker fired pistol, and immediately noticed that similar punch in the hand. It wasn't pleasant at all compared to my 1911s.

Perhaps I have become spoiled as of late shooting my Dan Wesson 9mm 1911s, but I had never noticed how smooth 1911s were by comparison to the "evolved" striker fired weapons known for sitting so low in the hand as compared with my "archaic" and potentially "obsolete" 1911s. I have shot GLOCK for many years, and was surprised by this experience. An experience that now has me thinking of moving back to the .45 ACP in the 1911 platform since the design seems to lend itself to milder felt recoil. Again, one really notices this contrast when shooting them one right after the other.

Wondering what your experiences are with regard to these two platforms and how they mitigate/ exacerbate recoil.

Thanks for your time.

Vanguard.45

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I found the opposite to be true in 45acp. I immediately sold my stainless 1911 in favor of the Glock 21.

Might be the weight of the slide and dual recoil spring on the Glock 21.

Makes sense the heaviest would be slowed down and felt less.

Vanguard.45

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    NW Indiana
    My observations might only apply in the lighter recoiling calibers? Maybe?

I know that, after a certain threshold, the width of the grip would certainly come into play since the recoil would be spread out with a wider grip surface. Maybe in 9mm there just isn't enough recoil overall for the narrowness of the 1911 grip to create discomfort.

Did you find muzzle flip to be greatly increased in the .45 1911 as opposed to the GLOCK 21?

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Agreed. I owned a Springfield Armory Range Officer Compact in 9mm. I preferred it over my 19, but I never wanted to carry it. I preferred to have the capacity of the 19 aince they weighed close to the same fully loaded and in the same caliber.

Top Bottom