• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rbsangler

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Lizton
    The applications are being processed and given a number by a random number generator this week. Are applicants going to be notified what their number is? Or, is the CMP just going in order and contacting ppl AS their number comes up? I couldnt tell by reading the CMP 1911 page. Be nice for people to know so they know what to expect.

99zhuggerz99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2008
    McCordsville
    The applications are being processed and given a number by a random number generator this week. Are applicants going to be notified what their number is? Or, is the CMP just going in order and contacting ppl AS their number comes up? I couldnt tell by reading the CMP 1911 page. Be nice for people to know so they know what to expect.

From my understanding, cruising the CMP forums, the lucky lottery winners will be notified directly. Those with proper packets and not part of the initial drawing will never know what their ‘number’ is.
    That being said it was also read that if one declines an availiable grade, should they get the call, will be dropped from system. I take that to mean you have one shot, looking for a shooter and only rack grade avail...take it or forever hold your peace. Also, any error on packet makes it’s way to the trash can.

They say 5 Oct for drawing but also says post-marked by same date...so when they actually start drawing is up for debate.

I really hope some folks on here get one...I really want to see pics of the actual ones, and not just the teasers.

Last edited:

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    CMP forum is down right now, you can go to the forum from there. It looks like thy will give a couple days for 4 October postmarked packets to find their way to Alabama, then begin the random number process.

From what I've gleaned: if the packet is complete and without error a number will be assigned. If 80,000 packets are good, 80,000 numbers will be handed out. You're in line in the same place you left off when the next batch drops.

Auction guns: numbers go out the window, if you buy won at auction you won't get a chance with your number. Everybody gets one before anybody gets two.

No word on the percentages by grade or how many auction gun yet, inspection still in progress.

There was a picture of a crate that had the serial numbers stenciled on it. Looked like 10 Remington Rand, 9 Colt, 2 Ithaca. Pretty even split 1943, 44 and 45. Two 42 Colts, one of the Colts was a 1912.

1911 Information - Civilian Marksmanship ProgramCivilian Marksmanship Program

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Okay, I need some help understanding the excitement.

I get the excitement of owning a piece of our military history and thinking about where the gun has been.

That being said I can't understand paying $850.00 for something that is rusted, pitted, missing pieces, and may be a Frankin gun?

Please understand I am not trying to stir anything up I really do just want to know? Is it all about the history? Is it that they are limited quantities and collectable?

rbsangler

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Lizton
    YEP, for all of the reasons you evidently already know and some other reasons too. I personally never applied for the CMP due to funding, but have a safe queen M1. never gonna load it, never gonna sell it, I view it as a symbol of many things, and thoughts and feelings. A symbol of freedom if you will.... I am certain that thousands and thousands of gun enthusiests feel exactly as you do about the CMP offerings. However, there are also thousands and thousands of collectors out there that do only that, collect....just like coins, bball cards, art, dolls, pottery, toys, cars, fishing lures etc. AND, alot of the items people collect are not prestine, flawless or rare..... but each item has a unique story behind it, known or unknown. They have guns for shooting if they want to do that, but they also have guns that they simply collect and never intend on firing. The greatest part about the whole thing is that each person chooses what to participate in collecting.....and what not to. So, yes, in this case.....of the CMP 1911's, they are considered very collectable (by some people) and they have limited quantities( going by the evidence of huge demand and excitement about possibly owning one)

rbsangler

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Lizton
    yes, i did confirm thanks to KellyinAvon (thanks!) they are going to email each persons sequence number to them after it is established. Wish I had applied, sucks being broke and into collectible guns!!!!

99zhuggerz99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2008
    McCordsville
    I recently turned in paperwork for an M1. A 1943 later and after a clean and grease I took it to the range. I fired it. Many times. The historical value is huge to; being a WWII guy (by studies only, not age).
    I put paperwork in for the 1911 for the sole purpose of getting lucky. A decent condition GI issue that ‘may’ have seen action against foes; one I can actually shoot is beyond awesome to me.
    To hold these items and shoot them is a history lesson every time...from the expensive to the cheap. Old guns with history... that is just amazing.

Last edited:

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Okay, I need some help understanding the excitement.

I get the excitement of owning a piece of our military history and thinking about where the gun has been.

That being said I can't understand paying $850.00 for something that is rusted, pitted, missing pieces, and may be a Frankin gun?

Please understand I am not trying to stir anything up I really do just want to know? Is it all about the history? Is it that they are limited quantities and collectable?
    Hi Bob! For me it's the history and the thrill of the chase. Maybe my 1949 Winchester Model 12 safe-queen needs a companion :cool:

I'm a very practical guy, I drive a Civic and carry a Glock. If I wanted a 1911 for a shooter I'd go buy one. I'm 3 miles from Fort Liberty, they have several to choose from right now.
    I don't want one of those, I want one sitting in a big vault in Anniston, Alabama. I've worked a long time to be able to spend a Grand on a 75 year old gun I haven't seen. Like I said, it's the thrill of the chase.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    CMP forum still down. I think they broke it. From what I saw INGO is better.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    You mention Anniston Army depot .45's, as a young soldier and Military Police trainee at Ft. Mc Clellan Alabama in the early 1970's I drew a detail to go somewhere and do something that included a ride on the back of a 2 1/2 ton truck.
    We were driving along and took a turn off the road onto another road that drove right under a building.
    From my vantage point on the back of that truck, I saw floor to ceiling gages on both sides of a divided road with military trucks and jeeps going both ways for quite a distance underground, with those barred cell like cages full of racks holding M-60 machine guns, .45 autos, M-14's, .38 revolvers, and M-79 grenade launchers.
    For a young private it was quite a ride and sight to see.
    I lucked out I have a COLT, ITHACA, and REMINGTON RAND, bought over the years I was in the Army.
    I have never in my twenty-one years in the Army as a Military Policeman, serving in the states or overseas, seen or was issued and carried, anything other than a Remmington Rand, 90% of the time and an Ithaca the other 10%.
    I guess that Navy and Marines had the Colts, I don't know about the Air Force, I only saw them with .38 revolvers and 9mm later.

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    You mention Anniston Army depot .45's, as a young soldier and Military Police trainee at Ft. Mc Clellan Alabama in the early 1970's I drew a detail to go somewhere and do something that included a ride on the back of a 2 1/2 ton truck.
    We were driving along and took a turn off the road onto another road that drove right under a building.
    From my vantage point on the back of that truck, I saw floor to ceiling gages on both sides of a divided road with military trucks and jeeps going both ways for quite a distance underground, with those barred cell like cages full of racks holding M-60 machine guns, .45 autos, M-14's, .38 revolvers, and M-79 grenade launchers.
    For a young private it was quite a ride and sight to see.
    I lucked out I have a COLT, ITHACA, and REMINGTON RAND, bought over the years I was in the Army.
    I have never in my twenty-one years in the Army as a Military Policeman, serving in the states or overseas, seen or was issued and carried, anything other than a Remmington Rand, 90% of the time and an Ithaca the other 10%.
    I guess that Navy and Marines had the Colts, I don't know about the Air Force, I only saw them with .38 revolvers and 9mm later.

I was a Marine Corps tanker in the mid 80's. I used to volunteer to clean weapons for the company. I was issued an Ithaca. I saw several Remington Rand's. We had two Colts in our company, one with patent dates on the slide and one without patent dates.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I was in the Corps in late 70's. I had a Remington Rand that was so loose it sounded like a bell choir when handled. IMHO the officers stole all the Colts. I did see one US&S, other than that Ithaca's and Remmies.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    few guys over at the CMP Forum have already gotten their Pistols.

There have been pics of a few finding new homes already. MUCH fewer packages than were being expected (around 19K vice the expected 75K) and the random numbers assigned are in the 2,100s.

Per the CMP 1911 Admin: 8K pistols is going to be more like 6.5K when done because of the number that were parts-only. All the ones offered so far have been service grade. Auction procedures and numbers still TBD.

As a forum: it ain't INGO. For my taste it's a bit over-moderated (real quick to lock threads). I haven't ventured out of the CMP 1911 part. 160K+ members (total, many sub areas) but 4,131 active users (no explanation on what = active) and the member list only shows 25,310 Highest post count is south of 17K. Next highest is just short of 10K. My INGO post count would have me at #5.

There is no doubt a lot of knowledge residing there. These guys know USGI 1911s and 1911A1s.

Similarities to INGO:

When someone from NY/Cali/anti-2A State complains about the anti-2A of that State, 15 people from pro-2A States post, "MOVE!! (Pro-2A State here) has room, come on over!"

Most
    have a sense of humor and some sort of personality. I got an e-mail from CMP!! :D They were trying to sell me ammo :(

I'm still waiting for an e-mail with my number.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    My brother got his email today, his 1911 will be delivered tomorrow

Some of the pictures on the cmp forum look like some nice pistols being sent out

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    He texted pics. U.S. Army marked Remington Rand frame and slide. Looks good in the pics.
    He said it was pretty nice
    I'll try and post pics from my phone in a bit

Top Bottom