• ...and so much more!
  • Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    This last weekend ICORE had its IRC match out west. This is a revolver only action shooting match.
    I attended the last 2 IRC's in Florida but this one was too far away to attend.
    Several friends and customers did attend the match and have been letting me know of a "new" GP100 that as at the match. Ruger started a shooting team a year or so ago.
    They commented on the looks saying it had a shrouded barrel and the shroud had slots cut in it so you could see the barrel under it. Had fiber optic front sight and a extended cylinder release.
    The big news is it was a 8 SHOT gun in the GP100 frame size.
    This will make getting a better trigger easier than the Redhawk 8 shot version.
    The ones that saw it said it looked good for a Ruger:stickpoke::):. It would look cool to have a red or blue or other color barrel visible through the cut outs in the shroud.
    This was a prototype and they said it would be available soon.
    No one made any mention of a non-competition version but I would guess that a short barrel and standard version will be available.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I'm a S&W guy, but always appreciated the modular Ruger engineering. Makes it easier to get at the clockworks vs. removing a sideplate, which always has a chance of buggering up a screw head or leaving an unsightly idiot scratch. Looking forward to seeing this, especially in shorter barreled configurations!

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    8 shot coming out. No shroud, wood grips, fiber optic sight, adjustable rear sight. Big news is they're making a 44 magnum version, 5 shot, one piece Hogue grips.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Did the ability to make 6 shooters in decent calibers die with the turn of the century? Damnit, I want a 44 mag SIX SHOOTER.

No. You just need a bigger cylinder, which leads tui a bigger frame. N-frame and Redhawks are 6 shots. Step down a size, you only fit five.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    From 1898 to 1946, the Colt New Service really dominated that market, but regardless of caliber they never changed the amount of cartridges in the cylinder. Old traditions die hard.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I'll be interested to see a picture of this new GP. I didn't think the GP frame was big enough for an 8 shot .357 cylinder.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    I don't even know you anymore Bosshoss.....:):

Hopefully a little competition will bring some new products from S&W. I would shoot a Ruger in competition if it was something that could be competitive.

Don't worry I'm sitting here putting the finishing touch on a customer's 686 and damn is it nice. :):

Prowler28

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    Usually it seems like Ruger is doing what they can to find good new formulas with their GP100 line. I really liked the Royal Phoenix but cannot for the life of me find one.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    It is a Redhawk on the right. I've got one and I love it. But I see no good reason why a GP couldn't carry 8 rounds. It might look different, but that's about it.

It can. Just not of .38/.357. There's not enough room in the cylinder to bore 8 holes of sufficient size and have enough wall thickness between them.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    It can. Just not of .38/.357. There's not enough room in the cylinder to bore 8 holes of sufficient size and have enough wall thickness between them.

S&W had to raise the barrel in the N frame to fit 8 rounds in the cylinder. I didn't get a lot of info but I assumed .357 in the new Ruger. I guesswe will have to wait to see when they introduce it officially.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    The other real problem few people seem to consider is that fitting a big bore .44/.45 barrel into a frame originally designed for a .357 barrel does not not allow enough metal around the barrel for a decent sized forcing cone. Look at the forcing cone on a GP 100 in .357 in comparison to a GP 100 in .44. The .44 bore forcing cone on a GP is very thin and will not last long if fed high velocity loads using very light bullets (which everyone seems to insist on using today). This is the problem S&W had with the old K frame revolvers when everyone started feeding them 110/125 gr. bullets driven very fast. Their solution was to create a heavier frame that allowed for a heavy forcing cone (thicker frame). Retrofitting a medium bore revolver to a big bore cartridge will work as long as sensible moderate loads are used. Use high velocity +P stuff and you will burn out the forcing cone. I know because I have done it. It doesn't take as long as you might think either. This was also a major reason that S&W dropped the Model 696 (.44 Spl. in an L frame). Owners were just tearing them up with high performance loads and sending them back. They either cracked the forcing cone or abused it so much that it flared out like a trumpet bell. S&W has no more barrels for these guns and no plans to ever make them again. If you buy a revolver designed for a medium bore but then retro fitted to big bore stay with moderate velocity loads with standard weight bullets. If these guns are chambered in .44 Spl. DO NOT try to make it into a .44 Magnum. A medium frame revolver in .44 Spl will last forever with moderate low pressure loads like a 250 gr. bullet over Unique. Push it past that and it will not hold up very long. I am not saying that you will blow the gun but it will be trashed. The pressure load on the cylinder is perfectly acceptable but the gas erosion on the forcing cone is just abusive and the manufacturer will not warrant that.

Last edited:

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    20181007_202343_zpslg3kiwnw.jpg

Youse yuteful offenders are a bad influence. This wandered into camp yesterday. Guess where it's been? (No googling!)

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I will throw in my prediction. With the popularity of 8 shot 9mm revolvers in ICORE and USPSA Revolver division. And the fact there is bow a Ruger sponsored Shooting team I'd say a 9mm revolver would be a possibility.

Top Bottom