• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • athyen

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 29, 2013
    Tipton county
    I recently acquired this high power, and I was hoping to see if anyone could tell me any more about it. So far all I know is that it’s a high power of some sort, the first 500 rounds shot like a dream (I’m a Glock guy...), and that a high shooting grip will leave a nice little bite on the web of your hand!

So, the gun has very little in terms of markings. The serial number is located behind the slide release. There is a small “PV” inside a diamond ring on the trigger guard. The same marking is also on the underside of the slide. The barrel has an R or B along with a P on one side and an 8 inside a diamond on the other. I have found no other markings on the gun.

I was hoping someone out there could tell me anything more about this gun. Perhaps manufacturer or age? Regardless of that info, the trigger is fantastic and the gun shoots great, so I’m happy. I’m just curious about its history!

Alex

Attachments

• ED29A919-12DB-4AF9-BEB8-BE20E1019FE3.jpg
      ED29A919-12DB-4AF9-BEB8-BE20E1019FE3.jpg
      83.9 KB · Views: 43
    • 4669F5D9-1802-4222-9EC0-8D79A372C39B.jpg
      4669F5D9-1802-4222-9EC0-8D79A372C39B.jpg
      74.4 KB · Views: 36
    • D4F3A0A3-842B-4852-BFC3-512291A6574B.jpg
      D4F3A0A3-842B-4852-BFC3-512291A6574B.jpg
      56.6 KB · Views: 33
    • 96E8530D-34AD-4EF2-9575-9F333315192B.jpg
      96E8530D-34AD-4EF2-9575-9F333315192B.jpg
      50.8 KB · Views: 27
    • 30E5F9D1-2DED-4726-97C6-B1492B128F6C.jpg
      30E5F9D1-2DED-4726-97C6-B1492B128F6C.jpg
      34.4 KB · Views: 21
    • 4E99127B-82E8-42E3-AFA2-013DF6B4B493.jpg
      4E99127B-82E8-42E3-AFA2-013DF6B4B493.jpg
      87.6 KB · Views: 25
    • 51FF5F92-CB9C-4CCA-A5B1-24D2208C6200.jpg
      51FF5F92-CB9C-4CCA-A5B1-24D2208C6200.jpg
      96.2 KB · Views: 27
    • DBE3179D-69EE-417F-9F78-281BBEDA0B1D.jpg
      DBE3179D-69EE-417F-9F78-281BBEDA0B1D.jpg
      103.7 KB · Views: 23
    • 84DD00A9-6629-41DF-94F8-09F668B2CC16.jpg
      84DD00A9-6629-41DF-94F8-09F668B2CC16.jpg
      122.2 KB · Views: 23
    • 2515292A-3E8C-4F1A-9F3A-E4EF21E4EF18.jpg
      2515292A-3E8C-4F1A-9F3A-E4EF21E4EF18.jpg
      87.8 KB · Views: 34

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Try searching High Power on GunBroker?
    It might be worth a try.
    Or try here,

https://forums.gunboards.com
    The second one might be better.
    You can ask questions there.

I posted before I looked at the pictures.
    That is a beautiful firearm you have there.
    I know nothing about them, but I can see from the pics that this one has not been abused.
    It barely looks USED!

That's in great shape.
    Mind telling us what it set you back?

Last edited:

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Browning/fn guns should have the serial number on the front of the grip.
    The pineapple is a proof mark.

Ive not seen a blued barrel on a hp either.

I am no expert(sorry, i know you asked for one) but i would say it is an Egyptian or israeli copy. Many of these guns are fantastic and take factory parts without fitting.

Is the barrel bushing in the slide flush or proud of the end of the slide?
    Rear sight dovetails can differe between manufactures too.

A spur hammer can alleviate the hammer bite.

Nice looking p35.

God bless
    Shred

Keep it and shoot it

athyen

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 29, 2013
    Tipton county

I am no expert(sorry, i know you asked for one) but i would say it is an Egyptian or israeli copy. Many of these guns are fantastic and take factory parts without fitting.

Nice looking p35.

God bless
    Shred

Keep it and shoot it

The barrel is not necessarily blued. The rear lugs seem to be the only area that is blued. This leads me to believe someone could have attempted to polish the barrel if it was blued. I have also never seen a blued barrel on a high point.

I will do some research on the Egyptian and Isreali copy high powers. Fit and finish are fantastic regardless.

Off the top of my head, the barrel bushing is flush with the end of the slide. If I remember correctly, it is not a removable barrel bushing of any sort. The end of the slide is the bushing.

I will look up a spur hammer for the gun. A week later and I still have a scab from the bite!

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Not that this is exhaustive, but I looked through here and couldn't match that proof mark exactly. http://www.nramuseum.org/media/940944/proofmarks.pdf

Closest I could get was 1968, Liege (Belgium), Smokeless Powder Proof for rifles. And this ain't a rifle.

BUT - the P. V. and the monument/tower inside the oval are 100% definitely Liege, Belgium. This is definitely an FN-produced HiPower.

The gun also has an external extractor - which means post 1962.

It also has a 2-piece barrel which means 1965 or later production.

Does not appear to have a firing pin safety which started in 1988 with the release of the MKIII series of pistols.

I think the serial # format, T300932, also puts it squarely into 1964-1968 range.

Since there's no "Browning Arms Company" on the left side of the gun - this probably wasn't made for civilian export to the USA. OR it has been refinished and those markings obliterated.

https://www.browning.com/support/date-your-firearm/hi-power-pistol.html

athyen

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 29, 2013
    Tipton county
    Not that this is exhaustive, but I looked through here and couldn't match that proof mark exactly. http://www.nramuseum.org/media/940944/proofmarks.pdf

Closest I could get was 1968, Liege (Belgium), Smokeless Powder Proof for rifles. And this ain't a rifle.

BUT - the P. V. and the monument/tower inside the oval are 100% definitely Liege, Belgium. This is definitely an FN-produced HiPower.

The gun also has an external extractor - which means post 1962.

It also has a 2-piece barrel which means 1965 or later production.

Does not appear to have a firing pin safety which started in 1988 with the release of the MKIII series of pistols.

I think the serial # format, T300932, also puts it squarely into 1964-1968 range.

Since there's no "Browning Arms Company" on the left side of the gun - this probably wasn't made for civilian export to the USA. OR it has been refinished and those markings obliterated.

https://www.browning.com/support/date-your-firearm/hi-power-pistol.html

Thank you!!!

I had found the same list of proof marks. However, I assumed I had found an incorrect marking after finding it was a smokeless powder proof mark. That is good to know that it appears to be an FN produced HiPower.

Also, thank you for the date ranges. That information I had not been able to find. Amazing to think of its age.

So, here is the big question: Given the two scenarios, what is the value of the gun???

1. If this is indeed a gun that was not meant for civilian export, how does that effect the value of the gun?

2. If this gun was refinished and the markings removed, what is the value of the pistol? I would assume it would lower the value substantially. Looking at the gun, I see no markings to suggest that the gun has ever been refinished or that any machining that could have removed roll marks has been performed. HOWEVER, the finish on this gun is superb, which I personally find very suspisious out of a 50 year old gun.

Regardless of either scenario, I am very happy with the purchase of this gun. I payed $500 for it. I hope I got a good deal, but if I didnt, oh well. Its still a fantastic shooter.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    IMHO an authentic Browning Hi Power, in that condition, makes $500 an excellent deal. Granted, I'm not an expert, but that's one of my wish list guns, so I kinda keep an eye on them.

athyen

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 29, 2013
    Tipton county
    IMHO an authentic Browning Hi Power, in that condition, makes $500 an excellent deal. Granted, I'm not an expert, but that's one of my wish list guns, so I kinda keep an eye on them.

Thats how I feel about it as well. However, the thought of the markings being removed does make me nervous on how the gun value is affected (effected? I can feel my English teaching sister rolling her eyes right now...)

Regardless, it is still a joy to shoot and I highly recommend picking one up if you can find one!

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    haha

(I think you mean "effected" there, but I rarely ever quibble about that kind of thing around here, especially since both work in that context with only a minor difference in connotation.)

Tell you what, I'll give you $525 for it. :D

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    You're welcome.

I used to know a lot more about the P35 platform but have since forgotten almost all of it. I was just Googling some of that stuff in response to your thread.

In the past, I've owned a HP clone (FM), and then a real deal FN MK III. I now have neither of those guns.

As far as value - I don't rightly know. Values of ALL FN guns will be going up and up and up, however. New ones are no longer being produced.

athyen

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 29, 2013
    Tipton county
    haha

(I think you mean "effected" there, but I rarely ever quibble about that kind of thing around here, especially since both work in that context with only a minor difference in connotation.)

Tell you what, I'll give you $525 for it. :D

I see what you're trying to do...

You're welcome.

I used to know a lot more about the P35 platform but have since forgotten almost all of it. I was just Googling some of that stuff in response to your thread.

In the past, I've owned a HP clone (FM), and then a real deal FN MK III. I now have neither of those guns.

As far as value - I don't rightly know. Values of ALL FN guns will be going up and up and up, however. New ones are no longer being produced.

Well I appreciate your input. Yes, I see the the value of FN guns going up as well. Good news is that by the proof marks, it seems easily proved that it is an FN produced HiPower. The tricky part is in determining whether markings were removed during a refinishing, or if it is indeed a model that was not meant for export. We may never know the real answer as I do not know a way to definitely determine between the two options.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I looked through the Wiki page for the HiPower, specifically the Mark I and Mark II entries and couldn't get much more than the info that I presented above.

If the gun was meant for military service, I'd think there'd be other marks on it.

It's not like it's a "sterile" gun, either. There are still proof marks on the thing.

athyen

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 29, 2013
    Tipton county
    Very true. It’s an odd situation. I’m honestly leaning towards a refinishing job that obliterated the factory markings. Even though I can see no evidence of it, it seems the most logical answer.

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central
    Very true. It’s an odd situation. I’m honestly leaning towards a refinishing job that obliterated the factory markings. Even though I can see no evidence of it, it seems the most logical answer.
    The serial number's location has me thinking the pistol was heavily buffed and the serial number was removed and re-stamped in a different location.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    It definitely looks like a 60's era T-series. The serial number should be on the right side though. I've never seen a Browning or FN marked gun without slide markings of some sort either. Likely a reblue. Some pistols had the SN on the frame and then on the slide and the barrel sort of stacked on each other when you look at them, others just the frame only.

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Ive had several copies and they can come very close...even had one roll marked with a very convincing fabrique nationale stamp.

Regardless, a nice piece, but without the roll mark, i would place the value lower than $525, lower than i would be willing to part with such a seemingly nice hp.

The barrel bushings are silver soldered into the slide btw.

God bless
    Shred

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD

Nice looking p35.

God bless
    Shred

Keep it and shoot it

I have never seen a blued HP barrel either and typically they had the serial number on the barrel as well.

Top Bottom