• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I owned the Ruger P89 and loved it: inexpensive, all-metal, heavy, thick grip, brick-like (everything I like in a gun). :laugh:
    It is one of the few guns I wish I would have held onto (like my CZ 75 Tactical or CZ Omega).

I am going to look at a Ruger P95 tomorrow from someone I trust and might buy it for some range fun, but it is a polymer, and I'm not sure it will do anything more for me.

I have never had any trouble from a Ruger, so that is a big draw, and it's half the price of any CZ I might want to try out in a polymer.
    If I could shoot some CZ polymers someday, I might go that route; I have the Shadow 2 and Rami and love them both b/c of their "heft."

Anyone who has had both the Ruger P89 and P95 could really give me some feedback, but those you know my journey with my love for all-metal heavy guns might know that the P95 would not come up to expectations.

My love for my P89 might be clouding my judgement. When I hold the P95 in my hand, that will help give me an insight.
    In the past the owner has told me to take a gun he was selling to the range to try it out before buying to make sure I really wanted it: he's done it before and once I bought, but the last time with two Kahr 9mms I did not buy either one of them.

abeguzmanmarine

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    TERRE HAUTE
    I had a P89 also, loved it, like you I let it go. Not familiar with P95. Just wish I had my P89 back. I put thousands of rounds through that thing and it never gave me trouble.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    I still have my original P85 in stainless. Never had a problem with it. I had a P89 and didn't like it. It just didn't feel right in my hands. The P89 is a lot lighter so it wanted to move around more.

PaulKersey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 16, 2012
    Evansville
    I have experience with the P95 and have a close friend who had a P89 for many years. Both were very reliable and built well. However, a couple of year ago I purchased another used P95. After a field strip, I noticed it was missing a part. If memory serves, it was some sort of retaining clip on the recoil spring. I contacted Ruger customer service (which is always stellar) and attempted to get a replacement. I was informed that they didn't have any of those parts available at all - for free or for purchase, since this pistol is no longer in production. So, the lesson I learned from this is that if I buy an out of production model, I have to be prepared to be at the mercy of the aftermarket for parts. And at the time I needed the part, none were easily available online. Currently, I will only buy pistols that are in production and/or have broad aftermarket support and parts availability.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I have a unique perspective as I have used the DAO variation of both as an agency issued firearm although briefly. One issue we had with the P 95 was the way the ambi mag release was designed (a pish forward button instead of pushing in) was a lot of roght hand shooters with medium to large hands unintentionally bumped the mag release with the knuckle of their middle finger this casing the mag to fall down and it going click instead of bang.

We also had some quality control issues with several samples and zero factory support so we scrapped them and went to other makes.

As far as working. Other than the user errors they worked pretty well but when we had the P 89's I will have to say there were almost zero issues other than they felt a little top heavy but they worked and we had a lot less shooter or gun induced issues than the P 95's.

Good luck

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    There is a Ruger P89 and two Ruger P95s for sale on Armslist.
    I know some find these very desirable, and I wished I had kept my P89.
    I bought it for a very good price off someone I have bought from before: you can't get a better profile than that for myself.
    I loved the P89 so much I actually thought about picking up the one advertised, but after reading my thread about my first one, I decided to behave myself since I have other things on the agenda to "sample."
    I told myself: been there, done that: stop! :nono:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    The P89 would be the better choice to actually stop the boat and keep it in place.

1. I don't need any encouragement to buy a gun I sold and regretted. :dunno: :laugh:
    2. If I didn't have a list of 3 guns want to buy/try. One of which I intend to buy tomorrow, and the other two I can wait and maybe never buy unless a right price comes up a slaps me in the face.
    3. If the one I was tempted with was 15% cheaper: I'd buy it. If I wanted it bad, that wouldn't stop me but I know I can live w/o it.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    The P89 would be the better choice to actually stop the boat and keep it in place.

1. I don't need any encouragement to buy a gun I sold and regretted. :dunno: :laugh:
    2. If I didn't have a list of 3 guns want to buy/try. One of which I intend to buy tomorrow, and the other two I can wait and maybe never buy unless a right price comes up a slaps me in the face.
    3. If the one I was tempted with was 15% cheaper: I'd buy it. If I wanted it bad, that wouldn't stop me but I know I can live w/o it.

woosh.gif

Top Bottom