• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    It's kind of rare to see them in a store only because they're not terribly popular. I have one and love it. The shape of the grip frame is much closer to the curvature on a DA revolver and drives the recoil impulse straight back into your hand. The standard Blackhawk grip allows the gun to rotate in your hand as the muzzle lifts. That causes the hammer to move back closer to your hand making it easier to reach and recock. The only problem with that rotation is when you chamber the gun in a hard kicking magnum caliber that rotation will take skin off the palm of your hand. When the old style revolvers were designed they were using black powder so it was not really a problem. In .41 or .44 Mag. with modern smokeless powder - it is a problem. Even if you wear a glove.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Bigger and heavier than a Colt or Uberti for sure, grip has less curve and less flare at the bottom.

Hit Gunbroker if you can't find one locally.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Bigger and heavier than a Colt or Uberti for sure, grip has less curve and less flare at the bottom.

Hit Gunbroker if you can't find one locally.

The OP said he wants to see and handle one in person.

Beech Grove Firearms had a used Bisley model in stock a few weeks ago, don't know if they've sold it. You might give them a call.

You don't see them very often in local gun stores. I've wanted to buy a Schofield replica, but haven't seen one locally. When I finally decide to buy, I'll probably head down to Buds Guns Shop in Kentucky to handle one and make sure I really want one. They usually have just about any single action revolver type in stock. You could buy it there and have it shipped to your local FFL in Indiana. Good excuse for a little road trip.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    Thanks All,
    I currently have a Cimarron Arms (Uberti) Bisley, but it is taking some getting used to for cowboy action shooting. I was thinking of getting a set of Ruger Bisleys because I have moved to the Classic Cowboy category so all pistols have to be shot one-handed. Other CC shooters around the country recommended the Ruger Bisley but before I invest mo money, mo money, and yet mo money, I would like to actually handle one. I really like the Ruger New Vaquero so it seems like a good match.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    The OP said he wants to see and handle one in person.

Beech Grove Firearms had a used Bisley model in stock a few weeks ago, don't know if they've sold it. You might give them a call.

You don't see them very often in local gun stores. I've wanted to buy a Schofield replica, but haven't seen one locally. When I finally decide to buy, I'll probably head down to Buds Guns Shop in Kentucky to handle one and make sure I really want one. They usually have just about any single action revolver type in stock. You could buy it there and have it shipped to your local FFL in Indiana. Good excuse for a little road trip.

I find that funny. I bought a Colt SAA (AWA) clone from them a few months ago and it seemed so out of place with all the modern stuff. I will call them. Thanks.

caulfieldian

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 4, 2012
    West of Indy
    I passed Copperhead Ridge in Avon a couple weeks back and went in because I've never been there. They had a bunch of Ruger Vaqueros, but I don't remember if they had any bisley models.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Minus the one I got off INGO, all mine have been purchased at the Indy 1500. Usually that gun shop from Georgetown, Ind. that sets up and brings a bunch of stuff.

Here's a .45LC/ACP of mine at the range:

31163447_10216206922191369_55534622921981952_n.jpg

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The Cimarron has a 5.5" barrel and is in .45 Colt. I like it but it bunches my fingers together. I added the Colt grips just for fun.
    Tuh1TyK.jpg

Very nice! The one I have (bottom right) is the same length and caliber, but is a Dakota.

Top Bottom