• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I recently picked this up at an auction. It is a Colt "Official Police" Revolver used by the British and Australians in World War II. There doesn't seem to be a ton of information about these, but I will summarize what I have been able to find.

The British were desperately short of arms following the fall of France so they sent a purchasing commission to the US in 1940. This preceded the lend-lease agreements that developed after the British ran out of money to purchase items with. It was the work of this commission that would lead to the development of the famous P-51 Mustang fighter among other things. Colt was one of the companies that the purchasing commission entered into agreements with and approximately 15,000 Official Police revolvers were purchased and delivered in 1940-41.

They are denoted by the proof mark of the Royal Woolwich Arsenal, a "W" inside of a crown, and also by the extra serial numbers applied on the butt. The regular Colt serial numbers, typically in the high 600,000 range, are also found on the frame and cylinder crane. If you are a soccer fan, the Woolwich Arsenal is what the Arsenal Football Club is named after.

My example was delivered in 1941 and also carries the "D - Broad Arrow - D" markings of the Australian Defense Department. I haven't came across any information that clarifies if it went straight from the US to Australia, or if it went to Britain first. It is believed that the Woolwich Arsenal mark was applied at the Colt factory by a British inspector, so either is possible.

The 38-200 caliber marking is for the standard British revolver cartridge of the period that was also used in the British #2 Mk.I revolver. I haven't had a chance to fire it yet, but the action is in excellent condition and the bore looks mint. There is some pitting in just a few places that is consistent with the points of contact with the top flap of the standard British holster of WWII. They were made of canvas and I would guess that this revolver was in a holster that got rained on while being carried.

Va8x0vQ.jpg

Tospr5K.jpg

x2GyGMl.jpg

XNMARQl.jpg

Y8njhll.jpg

Le8Y8D2.jpg

Last edited:

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    Very nice surplus handgun Rob. Congrats on finding it and great job with the research. It's always nice to learn something new from knowledgeable folks like you on INGO. :ingo:

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Very nice surplus handgun Rob. Congrats on finding it and great job with the research. It's always nice to learn something new from knowledgeable folks like you on INGO. :ingo:

Thanks, you really are too kind! A month ago I didn't even know these pistols existed, but learning new things is what makes this hobby fun. I was scrolling through auction listings and saw something listed as a "Colt Official Police in 38-200." I thought there had to be an interesting story as to why it would be listed in the British designation for that caliber instead of the Colt name for it, so I clicked on the link. The Australian defense markings were obvious so I started looking into it further.

I also just plain got lucky. The one thing wrong with the gun was that the lanyard ring was missing, but I bid anyway figuring it was too interesting of a revolver to let pass and it was going cheap anyway. I was very pleasantly surprised when I took the grips off to clean it, it turned out to be a real simple fix!

16EnkRV.jpg

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Phenomenal piece Rob. I can appreciate that era handgun and the provenance around it. I have a 1942 production S&W Victory model from my Dad's time in Europe.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Phenomenal piece Rob. I can appreciate that era handgun and the provenance around it. I have a 1942 production S&W Victory model from my Dad's time in Europe.

That sounds like a great piece to have, I'm sure you treasure it! I would love it if you would post photos sometime with whatever history you know of it.

Excellent Rob...I appraised a Colt New Service in 45 long colt for a guy the other day...Factory lanyard ring but no military marks and dated 1929...I told the guy to letter it from Colt...I love those big old honking revolvers....

Thanks! I do plan on getting the letter. Thankfully, the prices on the letters are a lot cheaper on the newer guns! I also have a Colt 1860, but they want $300 for the letters on guns that old.

Top Bottom