• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I had a chance to buy a S/W 41 and I did so.
    Supposed to be from the mid-80s in original box with a rail that comes with it and a scope.

My first range time with it:
    thumbnail

I didn't have time to shoot any of the other guns I brought to see if the Smith 41 will be more accurate as it their reputation.
    My first impression compared to all my others is I am not impressed so far until I have time to see if it will outshoot everything else I have but it will be fun finding out.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    And like a Ferrari, you have to learn to shoot it. Mine is phenomenal but the feel is totally different from other pistols. Most like Eley, wolf or CCI Standard Velocity.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Congrats on the 41. Every 22 aficionado has to own one at least once!
    It’s a bit of a Ferrari so it’ll be interesting to see what ammo it runs best on.
    Enjoy!

1. My thinking exactly: I had to give the 41 a try to see if it lives up to the hype. I can't wait to see how it compares to it's "lessors:" Ruger Mark 4, Browning Buckmark, S/W 22A-1, Colt Target,
    S/W Victory, R.I.A. 1911 22LR, GSG 1911 .22LR and the Beretta Neos, all of which have earned a place in my safe, and are loved for their nuances in difference.
    2. That's how I ended up with the CZ Shadow 2, and I haven't been sorry.

And like a Ferrari, you have to learn to shoot it. Mine is phenomenal but the feel is totally different from other pistols. Most like Eley, wolf or CCI Standard Velocity.

3. So far I have used:
    a.Remington Golden Bullets: 36 grain, copper covered, hollow point, 1400 FPS
    b. Winchester: 40 grain round nose, 1300 FPS, copper covered round nose
    c. CCI Mini-Mag: 40 grain, copper covered round nose, 1300 FPS
    d. CCI Mini-Mag: 36 grain hollow point, copper covered.

4. The previous owner said he ran standard velocity through it. I'm going to try some standard my next range visit.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I ran CCI standard velocity through mine with good results.

You will only want to run standard velocity in a 41, if my recollection is correct.

1. Good to know.
    2. That runs counter to what I'd learned with my other .22LRs and solving ammo issues with them. I'll have to run some standard through some of the others to see if they will run with it. I know my R.I.A. 1911 22LR can be finicky about ammo, and I have always kept a list of which ammo is having a problem with which gun.
    3. Those that were finicky about ammo, I needed to use a high-velocity and sometimes a H-V that was a round nose not a hollow point.
    4. Interesting that a slower speed round (standard) works better in a fine gun than a faster round (high-velocity). Then again, maybe that is why it does.
    5. I had read about the Smith 41 being finicky about ammo and assumed that meant you had to use the "better" ammo, which in my mind meant the High- Velocity.
    6. Sounds like I'm going to get an education about ammo with the 41.
    7. I buy ammo in bulk, and have 1000s of rounds of different kinds, and I know I must have at least 2 kinds of standard.
    8. I have a box of all kinds of multiple brands I got when I did a large buy from someone of lots of 22LR ammo, and there are some interesting things in there which I might have to try out in the 41.
    9. I am willing to buy different kinds of standard to see what runs in them. I have no interest at this early stage of buying the Eley that are very expensive, but would be fun once I get the 41 dialed in and accurate, but the previous owner told me the Eley took the 41 to higher levels of accuracy.
    10. I was having an issue with the rear sight not staying screwed down.
    11. I'll have to find out if there is a tension screw that is supposed to keep it in place or what (like the Mark 4). As for now I have to simply tighten it up, which doesn't allow for any adjustment, but it seems to do fine in that position, but I'll eventually want to get it fixed properly.

12. I'll do some research to find out what people's experience has been, and I appreciate the mention of what has worked for you with this Smith 41.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    You will only want to run standard velocity in a 41, if my recollection is correct.

I've never run HV in any of my 41's. For practice mine are happy with Fed Auto Match, Fed Blue Box Champion, Fed GM Match SV and Aguila SV all are 40 grain.
    If mine have a feeding problem it's usually with the second round or the pistol is dirty.
    I'm jeudicious about replacing the slide springs every few thousand rounds.
    For serious shooting I shoot Eley Match Pistol..
    All of mine like to run wet and CLEAN..

OP, you will quickly find if will be your pistol of choice when shooting rimfire. Next you will be buying a 52...

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    This sums up my reading of dozens of posts about ammo for the 41:

"years ago I shot a lot of Winchester super-X HV in my 41. I eventually had to send it in to S&W for repair. They replaced the bolt face because of excessive wear, they said from shooting HV. I only shoot SV now."

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    ...2. That runs counter to what I'd learned with my other .22LRs and solving ammo issues with them...

The 41 is a bullseye competition pistol and everything about it is set up for that. Stay with standard velocity ammo.

Also, DO NOT SELL IT until you have let me shoot it.
    Wn7ot1l.gif

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    This sums up my reading of dozens of posts about ammo for the 41:

"years ago I shot a lot of Winchester super-X HV in my 41. I eventually had to send it in to S&W for repair. They replaced the bolt face because of excessive wear, they said from shooting HV. I only shoot SV now."

So WHY did you take it out and immediately start battering it with HV?

Subject it to some ammo that doesn't suck.

The chamber reamer for the 41 was, at least originally, cut SPECIFICALLY for the CCI 0035 load.

Buy yourself a case of that, use it all in that 41, and then come back to us to tell how you feel.

I have a lot of ammo through one, from 5-6 feet through 200 yards. While I have learned only a fraction of what it can teach, I have only to gesture at something that wants for a hole, and the 41 makes it appear almost as if by magic.

I don't love everything S&W, and there are some crap 41's out there probably, but you're a long way from a fair shake for yours.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I've never run HV in any of my 41's. For practice mine are happy with Fed Auto Match, Fed Blue Box Champion, Fed GM Match SV and Aguila SV all are 40 grain.
    If mine have a feeding problem it's usually with the second round or the pistol is dirty.
    I'm jeudicious about replacing the slide springs every few thousand rounds.
    For serious shooting I shoot Eley Match Pistol..
    All of mine like to run wet and CLEAN..
    OP, you will quickly find if will be your pistol of choice when shooting rimfire. Next you will be buying a 52...

1. It will be fun for it to become my pistol of choice, finding out this was worth the investment spending many times the "normal" amount I usually do for a .22LR handgun.
    2. I looked up the "52." I used to own .22LR rifles and enjoyed them decades ago, but after buying a Henry lever action and loving it, I simply decided I wasn't going down that road this time. One is not enough, which has been my experience in starting out wanting 1 CC and 1 .22LR: now I have to struggle to keep my count down to 20 guns (which I know is laughable for some here), and just when I trim down to that number, I find another "need," like this Smith 41 that I'd given up on b/c I got tired of being the bidding price up to $1500 on Gunbroker. When someone here in the club had one for sale for $1100, I fought it and moved on, but here I am: a bundle of contradictions. :dunno:
    3. I have limited time and retirement looms when my money is cut off, so I decided to go for it. (my wife has already cut off my funds, but I had some hidden in the safe: it's gone now, and I am poor again. :(
    Life has taken its toll, and the money reserves are gone b/c of buying a car and a daughter who needed some quick down payment money for downsizing: at least I'll get that back, but no more impulsive gun-buying.
    4. If you feel sorry for me, please forward your checks/cash via the pm system for contact information. :rofl:

The 41 is a bullseye competition pistol and everything about it is set up for that. Stay with standard velocity ammo.
    Also, DO NOT SELL IT until you have let me shoot it.
    Wn7ot1l.gif

5. Ah, my longest-time friend here in INGO! :rockwoot:
    6. Yes, 100 people online in the S/W forums made it plain that only an idiot would use HV instead of SV. :dunno:
    7. My inexperience once again pops its ugly head up for all to shame me. :lmfao:
    8. No, it won't be sold for a time and time and a half (must know your Bible to get that reference :laugh:).
    9. If it doesn't shoot any better than my others, it will be disciplined, and if it doesn't shape up: it will be sold (eventually).
    10. I will probably find out what others say is true though: I will be the weak point if it doesn't shoot any better.
    11. I have 4 other .22LRs I have been wanting/waiting to sell but I just can't bring myself to be in a hurry b/c I don't have to.
    12. One is an extra Mark 4, another is an extra S/W 22A-1, and an unusual Sig Sauer P250 D/A only.
    The P250 fits the hand so well, and gives D/A practice shooting on the cheap, but I know its not a long-term gun, but I enjoy it (which when I bought it, I didn't even know it wasn't a D/A S/A, like most "regular" guns that I have had in 9mm (Baretta 92, CZs and Ruger P89/95) and a R.I.A. 1911 .22.
    I will sell the R.I.A. b/c I have the GSG 1911 22 that I'll never part with b/c of its upgrades and accuracy that it brings to the table.
    The GSG was one of my early-on splurges.
    13. All that to say, if the 41 delivers and I like shooting it more than any other, I can sell others to pay for it, but for right now I love the variety that each brings: they give me pleasure. :)

14. I bought it in the parking lot of a gun range and just happen to have 6 different types of ammo to try out.
    15. I usually shoot any gun a buy immediately. That's why I buy them.
    16. In my ignorance and inexperience, the HV had always worked in guns that would not eject properly with SV b/c it needed the extra "omph" to kick the slide back. I guess I'm learning that works on "cheaper" .22LRs

17. I have been given a list of appropriate ammo, some of which I have 1000s of rounds of, since I have been stocking .22LR for months.

The chamber reamer for the 41 was, at least originally, cut SPECIFICALLY for the CCI 0035 load.

18. I did read that last evening in the S/W threads!

Buy yourself a case of that, use it all in that 41, and then come back to us to tell how you feel.

19. You will be obeyed (think I even have a case of it that I use in my revolvers).

I have a lot of ammo through one, from 5-6 feet through 200 yards. While I have learned only a fraction of what it can teach, I have only to gesture at something that wants for a hole, and the 41 makes it appear almost as if by magic.

20. That comment makes me smile and I look forward to it. I know I have never been disappointed in spending more to buy a better gun (except in 1911 style: it didn't live up to the hype). I know that comment will cause me to be slapped by some here that I know and like: sorry!) :laugh:

I don't love everything S&W, and there are some crap 41's out there probably, but you're a long way from a fair shake for yours.

21. I believe! I own my mistake and look forward to correcting it.
    22. The previous owner has already gently suggested (before anyone else had a chance to chime in) that SV is the route to go and all he ever used.
    23. B/C of my wife and my plans I won't be able to shoot again till maybe Sunday, and maybe not even then, but I'll make it some evening to the range to try out all my SV and see what happens.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville

Not to be argumentative, I shoot SV in mine, but
    What I have found interesting is not in any of the owners manuals that I have for the Smith 41 does it state no high velocity ammo should be shot in these pistols.
    Nor is there anything printed in them that the chambers were cut for CCI 0335 ammo.
    And the Model 41 was made available to the public in 1957, CCI didn't get into the rimfire game until 1963 I believe and that was with the Mini Mag. I believe it was years later that the SV 335 became available.

What do you have that states no HV ammo and that S&W cut chambers for CCI ammo please..

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville

2. I looked up the "52." I used to own .22LR rifles and enjoyed them decades ago, but after buying a Henry lever action and loving it, I simply decided I wasn't going down that road this time. One is not enough, which has been my experience in starting out wanting 1 CC and 1 .22LR: now I have to struggle to keep my count down to 20 guns (which I know is laughable for some here), and just when I trim down to that number, I find another "need," like this Smith 41 that I'd given up on b/c I got tired of being the bidding price up to $1500 on Gunbroker. When someone here in the club had one for sale for $1100, I fought it and moved on, but here I am: a bundle of contradictions. :dunno:
    3. I have limited time and retirement looms when my money is cut off, so I decided to go for it. (my wife has already cut off my funds, but I had some hidden in the safe: it's gone now, and I am poor again. :(
    Life has taken its toll, and the money reserves are gone b/c of buying a car and a daughter who needed some quick down payment money for downsizing: at least I'll get that back, but no more impulsive gun-buying.
    4. If you feel sorry for me, please forward your checks/cash via the pm system for contact information. :rofl:

The Smith Model 52 is a Bullseye Target auto-loader in 38 special wadcutter.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    When you decide to sell one of the "lowly" Mark 4's let me know, am in the market for one.

1. :thumbsup: It could be awhile since I love them both.
    2. One is a 22/45 grip with a polymer frame and the other a ”luger” grip with an alloy frame.

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    While out of town with dear old friends, I have had a chance to read much about the 41.
    I enjoy reading up on the positives/negatives about a gun I've newly acquired (like my Shadow 2) so as to appreciate it all the more.
    Can't wait to make a range run with SV and this time maybe compare it to a couple of other .22LRs.
    When I went back to check on some old targets in the past, the 41 didn't do any better than some of the others, which logically, would indicate I am the weak point, of course.
    I am excited about finally having the 41.
    I have read where others after getting a 41 and enjoying it have sold their Brownings and Mark 4s b/c they didn't use them anymore being the 41 is their "go-to" .22LR after awhile and the others where just sitting in the safe.
    While some guns are unique in themselves to warrant keeping them in addition to the style of the 41, I can see the Browning and the Mark 4s not being the choice of the range but that will take months to come to that conclusion, and I will go slow b/c with retirement looming, I will not be able to go back and acquire guns I've sold b/c I "miss" them, like I did the recent Ruger P95 to replace the P89 I had sold.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I used to shoot a lot of bowling pins and steel in the 1990s. Routinely would beat out shooters using 41s with my entry level buckmark. When precision isn't the game, they are only as good as the rest. The ammo pickiness can be an issue too.

Top Bottom