• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • abuckle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 10, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I've been looking at Sig Sauer's website at the various 226 options, shot several basic ones but now looking to buy and torn on which model. Wondering what opinions are out there about them. Its not really going to be an everyday carry gun either. I like the idea of the Tac Ops, but concerned it is too "bulky", and can't seem to find any shops or big box stores with one in stock to physically look at. I've seen a couple SAO Legions in the case and of course the standard model. All of them llok great and perhaps I'm splitting hairs by asking the question. The tac ops with threaded barrel and the 20 round mags are really appealing, but seems like the Legion folks LOVE there gun too. Just looking for thoughts from the community here. Thanks!

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    The Legion will have a marginally better trigger. The sights are a little fancier. The coating on the outside is a pro or a con depending on who you talk to.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Love the Legion series. I had the SAO model for about a year and loved it. Very sweet shooter. I think the X-ray sights on them are fantastic and the little features, like an undercut trigger guard, are worth the extra money over other models to me.

abuckle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 10, 2014
    Indianapolis
    They are nice pistols and have the coated internals. But they don't have the short reset trigger, if that is important to anyone.

This is great info, thank you for the feedback. It was my understanding the Legion trigger was a significant difference. The Tac Ops has the mag well and beaver tail which adds some asthetics but was otherwise the same as the others as far as coating and trigger. The Legion was marketed as a different coating and trigger (and done other things).

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I also have the P226 Legion SAO, and love it. I am pretty much an "SAO guy" however, and I tend to gravitate toward SAO guns. The Legion has been just a fantastic purchase, and is in the section of my safe marked "Never Sell"!!! :)

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I think you will be happy regardless of which way you go. It will be personal preference. For me I like the tac ops. The way the grip feels amazing and the flare just cradles my hand and gently but firmly coaxes it up for proper grip technique.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    As someone that owns a 226 Legion and has used the 228 and 220 as an issue and personal duty gun shooting and carrying them for over 25 years all are good BUT the Legion is tops.

What is often not mentioned that is with the Legion you have the reduced controls of the slide stop and decocker along with the G 10 grip. That is very very important because A LOT of shooters have issues with a thumbs forward grip of unintentionally hitting the slide stop this either locking the slide open when there are rounds in it or sending the slide home on an empty mag after the last shot. I had the issue with my issue 228. I do not have the issue on my Legion.

The other plus (for me) on the legion is bot o ky feontstrap 30 LP in checkering but it's also on the underside of the trigger guard where your support hands come up. Wouldn't think that is a big deal until you shoot it.

There is no bad Sig P 200 series but the Legion has got some well thought out additional items over a stock.

abuckle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 10, 2014
    Indianapolis
    As someone that owns a 226 Legion and has used the 228 and 220 as an issue and personal duty gun shooting and carrying them for over 25 years all are good BUT the Legion is tops.

What is often not mentioned that is with the Legion you have the reduced controls of the slide stop and decocker along with the G 10 grip. That is very very important because A LOT of shooters have issues with a thumbs forward grip of unintentionally hitting the slide stop this either locking the slide open when there are rounds in it or sending the slide home on an empty mag after the last shot. I had the issue with my issue 228. I do not have the issue on my Legion.

The other plus (for me) on the legion is bot o ky feontstrap 30 LP in checkering but it's also on the underside of the trigger guard where your support hands come up. Wouldn't think that is a big deal until you shoot it.

There is no bad Sig P 200 series but the Legion has got some well thought out additional items over a stock.

Thanks for the insight. I am leaning more towards this or the Tac Ops model, just fearful the Tac Ops will be bulky with the large mags.

Prowler28

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    Well, when I trained for the NPS, we were issued a standard P226 for training and by and large that was what they were using in the field. Of the thousand plus rounds we put through our pistols, I don't recall a single malfunction by the gun. We were using American Eagle 9mm. I liked the gun so much that I caved in earlier this year and finally bought one, but I got the Mk. 25 instead of a standard model. The Mk. 25 has a PVD coating of some sort that is supposed to provide extra corrosion resistance, specifically from salt water. Siglite night sights are a standard and they are very decent. A few minor changes were made externally as well, plus a picatinny rail was added.

My only problem with the Mk. 25 is that for some reason it does not seem to like Federal or American Eagle ammo. They do not cycle reliably. Other than that, I couldn't be any happier.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    My only problem with the Mk. 25 is that for some reason it does not seem to like Federal or American Eagle ammo. They do not cycle reliably. Other than that, I couldn't be any happier.

Ugh. That ain't good!!! Hopefully, you have found some ammo that *will* cycle 100%??? Maybe the new recoil spring needs to be broken in???

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    ive got a 226 legion da/sa, and I can say, its the smoothest gun I own, when I pull the slide back, it slides like grease on glass!!!!, mine has the gray guns trigger and spring kit, and has a 6#da and a 3.1# sa pull, the sights are awesome, the trigger reset is awesome, the grips are awesome, the finish is awesome, come to think of it, everything about the gun is awesome, the only thing that isn't is that damn free case you have to send in for! it really serves no purpose!

if I had one complaint about my legion, its that I bought it (the 226) instead of buying a 229 sao legion (I got mine used for a hell of a good price), and if powerball or mega millions show me some love, the first gun i'll buy is an mp-5, then a sig legion 229 sao!

but here's my take on your situation, you are thinking tac ops or legion, you say the tac ops is too bulky, and its not an everyday carry gun, BUT that remark makes me think you'll carry it sometimes...so if you think you're going to carry it, and size matters to you, look at the 229 legion, both the 226 and 229 carry 15 rounds, so the only difference will be barrel length, and the 229 would be a little easier to carry, BUT not much.

but again my opinion (and opinions are like hemorrhoids every a$$h0le has one) the legions are the best handguns sig makes, and I really doubt that after shooting it you'd say "I regret buying that legion!"

Top Bottom