• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I've been looking around for a 357magnum and was looking for a semiautomatic. They were/are very costly and none have a high cap mag. I was reloading my 9mm the other day and happened to to open my Hornady 9th edition to the 10mm page. what jumped out at me was the velocity of the 155br load which was more than a 357 magnum with similar barrel length. So I started researching this caliber on line and found a few high cap pistols. Glock 20, XDM 10mm, Rock Island 10mm HC. After searching the web over looking at reviews and price tags I bought a Glock 20 SF from Shield Group.

Does anyone else have a Glock 20 and if so can you tell me your take on it, as well as any upgrades you decided to add to it. I bought it for personal defense and hunting. I thought about getting a longer barrel for hunting just drop in. Would that work?

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I had a 20sf years ago. For me, it's the most powerful handgun I can shoot well and really control. 17+1 is a whole lot of firepower and today there are a lot of factory ammo options that weren't around back when I had mine. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one, but if you're going with a glock especially for hunting, plan on swapping out the plastic sights for some steel sights.

63PGP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2018
    Boone
    I've had a 20SF for quite a few years. The only changes I've made were Heinie sights (slant pro rear & tritium front sight) and a Talon grip. It's sent every round I've fed it down range.

Have fun with yours.

Mike

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I'm with ya on getting a longer barrel for the purpose of increased performance and accuracy...
    In my experience, shooting is more enjoyable with a longer barrel...
    The pistol just seems to shoot better...not sure if it's the increased powder-burn...the increased accuracy...or the added weight of the longer barrel...but they shoot better.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Be careful what loads you compare. In lighter bullet weights, the 10mm can beat the .357, but once you get to 155s and up, it can change. Alliant shows 1620fps with a Gold Dot of 170gr.

You cannot push a 165 to 1600+ in a G20 unless it's in a longer barrel and even then you are flirting with blowing your face off.

A G20 is basically the most firepower you can carry in an autoloader (mag cap times ft-lbs per round).

Realistically, a 155 gold dot can be pushed to 1500fps in a 6" barrel. 135s can be pushed to 1600+ fps.

I had a G20 and only got rid of it because I wanted something more carry-friendly in 9mm. G20 is heavy. And holsters impossible to find locally.

What would I recommend?
    1) Do the 25 cent trigger job. Huge improvement, very little work, super easy to do.
    2) A longer barrel from KKM or something is a great way to get more 10mm speed. The stock G40 barrel is a good choice, but you might want something with more chamber support.
    3) I bought a .40SW lone wolf barrel and it turns out that 40s run just fine out of the 10mm barrel.
    4) Upgrade the sights ASAP or get the red dot ready slide. I strongly recommend the Trijicon HDs.

Don't run the super weak ammo unless that's what you want. Of the ammo you're likely to find in a store, only Sig ammo and the Winchester Silvertips are loaded anywhere near the full pressure of the 10mm cartridge. Most 10mm rounds (UMC, American Eagle, Federal, WWB, etc) are basically 40sw in a more expensive case.

If you really want the full power 10mm experience, you'll need Underwood or Buffalo Bore to do that.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    I have had a Gen 3 G20 for about twelve years and just picked up a Gen 4 G20 a few months ago. The Gen 3 is still stock, but I upgraded the sights on the Gen 4 with Trijicon night sights. I will do the Gen 3 some day as well. I also have a Surefire light on the Gen 4, which is my house gun now. As others have said, I would recommend replacing the garbage plastic stock sights with metal ones of your choice. A friend picked up a used Gen 4 earlier this year. The guy gave him some holsters as well, and turns out one of them had a lip inside that the front sight was snagging on, and it actually damaged the plastic.

Mustang1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2015
    Westfield
    Are you going to reload for 10mm? Most factory ammo for 10mm is loaded pretty weak (FBI loads) besides Sig and a couple of others that actually load to a true spec 10mm power.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Thanks for the replies guys. I'm planning on using Dawson Precision sights.
    I'm going to get a tungsten guide rod with 20 lb spring as well.
    I plan on loading 155gr Gold Dot for self-defense and 180-200gr not sure Which one yet for whitetail deer.
    For a longer barrel say 6" what brand is good to go with? Should I just get a G40 barrel?
    I also found a holster from alien gear holsters. With alien gear I just had to buy a new shell as I already have one for the XD 45 Tactical.

Side note:
    I'm use to carrying the XD 45 Tactical so I doubt the G20sf will be any heavier than that.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    My G20SF is my usual winter carry gun.

Strictly carry 180 Gr Underwood Bonded HP in it.

Have fun, it's a blast to shoot!:):

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Thanks for the replies guys. I'm planning on using Dawson Precision sights.
    I'm going to get a tungsten guide rod with 20 lb spring as well.
    I plan on loading 155gr Gold Dot for self-defense and 180-200gr not sure Which one yet for whitetail deer.
    For a longer barrel say 6" what brand is good to go with? Should I just get a G40 barrel?
    I also found a holster from alien gear holsters. With alien gear I just had to buy a new shell as I already have one for the XD 45 Tactical.

Side note:
    I'm use to carrying the XD 45 Tactical so I doubt the G20sf will be any heavier than that.
    The 155 GDHP isn't necessarily your best choice for SD work in hot 10mm.

Like most 40 cal Has, It's designed for 40sw speeds so it tends to over-expand a great deal and this causes insufficient penetration. It's designed for 1200fps or so, not the 1500+ a hot 10mm can push.

I recommend a bullet with less expansion, something like the Hornady XTPs, which tend to be more tolerant of being over-sped.

My personal favorite 10mm SD load is the Underwood Lehigh Xtreme Defender loads. This one in particular at 1700fps: https://www.underwoodammo.com/colle...5-grain-xtreme-defender?variant=7865932873785

I believe the future is with non-expanding loads like these Lehigh loads. The permanent wound cavity they make is about double what regular JHPs can produce. Truly massive damage.

Tungsten guide rod I don't think it a huge help, but it certainly won't hurt. If you are going up to heavy/hot loads, you can go all the way to 22lb and even be OK. Try the ISMI one here. Wolff non-captured setup is a good option is you like to spring swap, but the springs don't last as long because they are round wire instead of flat wire.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I've seen something like them lehigh from polycase. 1700 fps is moving on. I'll have to give them a try. Lehigh bullets look more aggressive than the polycase arx. Reason I was thinking 155gr Gold Dot HP so it won't over penetrate and hit a family member or innocent people.

Good tips thanks. So the tungsten guide rod isn't to important?
    If not I'll just get a few springs to play with 20 and as you recommend a 22 lb spring. I want 357 magnum power so I plan on shooting max loads in the 10mm. If I want something softer shooting I have a 45acp and a 9mm.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Don’t worry about over penetration, worry about under penetration that doesn’t stop a BG.

Mustang1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2015
    Westfield
    Lone Wolf, Storm Lake, and KKM all come to mind for aftermarket Glock barrels and usually have options for either factory length or longer if that’s what you’re wanting. And I believe they will give you a fully supported chamber unlike the factory barrel which you’ll want for full power reloads.

joshuamckee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Franklin
    I have had several 10mm.I currently have a Glock 20 SF Gen3.It will hopefully be going to AllanM next week to have the slide machined for a Trijicon RMR type 2 with the 6.5 dot.I am going to try to shoot a deer with it this year.I highly recommended the
    double tap 155gr Tacxp for hunting and personal protection.Look up Razor Dobbs 10mm hunting on YouTube.He is a 10mm fanatic and gives great information on the ammunition he uses and what game they are most effective on.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Okay thx I took your advice and ordered a stainless steel guide rod and 22lb spring from Glock Store. Can't wait to try it out. I ordered the 200gr xtp from underwood as well.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I've been looking around for a 357magnum and was looking for a semiautomatic. They were/are very costly and none have a high cap mag. I was reloading my 9mm the other day and happened to to open my Hornady 9th edition to the 10mm page. what jumped out at me was the velocity of the 155br load which was more than a 357 magnum with similar barrel length. So I started researching this caliber on line and found a few high cap pistols. Glock 20, XDM 10mm, Rock Island 10mm HC. After searching the web over looking at reviews and price tags I bought a Glock 20 SF from Shield Group.

Does anyone else have a Glock 20 and if so can you tell me your take on it, as well as any upgrades you decided to add to it. I bought it for personal defense and hunting. I thought about getting a longer barrel for hunting just drop in. Would that work?

The G40 OEM barrel should drop right in. Lone Wolf might still make a 6" for it, and they used to offer a 9" for it also, though that is only 100fps or so over the 6" depending on loads.

I loved my G20SF, but I wasn't a reloader then and couldn't afford to shoot it often. And it was much too big/heavy to carry as a primary PD weapon. For HD and woods, it's a fantastic platform. My limited budget and desire to carry regularly pushed me down to a smaller 9mm. A 10mm is a fantastic 2nd or 3rd pistol, imo, and it's really tough to beat the Glock 10mm platform. If you plan to reload, another barrel with a tighter chamber will help your brass last longer.

JMO, but everything I wanted in a G20 or SF, the G40 does better. Longer sight radius, heavier slide, etc. IMO, this is the 10mm I wanted Glock to make all along. It's not very compact, but the G20 isn't either, so I'd go straight to G40. It's the top of my handgun want list at present.

Based on previous G20SF ownership, I'd suggest:

1) 25 cent trigger job. You can polish up the guts and VASTLY improve the stock trigger with very little difficulty or cost. Even someone less-than-mechanically inclined can handle it. Excellent videos are on youtube.

[video=youtube_share;0XJxltxvAo4]https://youtu.be/0XJxltxvAo4[/video]

2) Replace the sights with whatever you prefer. Trijicon HDs are excellent, but don't overlook Big Dots for woods or PD use if speed will trump accuracy in your intended use.
    3) Get then Gen 4 with better grip texture and backstraps you can swap.

That's pretty much it. The Glock 10mm are so good out of the box, it doesn't take much at all to make them a solid keep-it-forever platform.

Top Bottom