• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    These are a dice roll. You might get a good one. You probably won't. It might run for you but it also might not.
    Not a piece I would consider. Been there done that not going there again.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    I had one a few years ago I got on a trade. 2 mags and aside from the 3 FTF, it ejected shells in every direction mostly toward my face. Immediately back out the door.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    So I was just looking through sportsman’s guide this evening and saw they had this

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/ati-firepower-xtreme-military-1911-semi-automatic-45-acp-5-barrel-81-rounds?a=1905120

to buy or not to buy

Would be a no go. For just a little more you can get a made in the US SR 1911. I have the commander style lightweight 45.
    Only thing I did to mine was add a magwell and switch out the thin grips. While not a Dan Wesson it's been reliable, accurate, and fun to shoot.

mrrogers91

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2018
    INDIANAPOLIS
    So... despite all of your guys’ advice I bought one anyways.

Ive always wanted a 1911. Since before I knew what a 1911 was. I’ve been wanting to get my feet wet in the 1911 world since someone at he range let me shoot a bear custom (I had no idea what it was at the time, still don’t besides they are super expensive)

And I don’t have any intentions of reaching for this weapon should the need arise.

I picked it it up at my local range today. Put 25 Remington 230gr fmj, 25 Winchester 230gr fmj and 30 federal aluminum 230gr fmj down range. Gun ran well. 0 misfires 0 ftf 0 fte.

Heading back to the range tomorrow and will report more of my findings.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi

Ive always wanted a 1911. Since before I knew what a 1911 was. I’ve been wanting to get my feet wet in the 1911 world since someone at he range let me shoot a bear custom (I had no idea what it was at the time, still don’t besides they are super expensive)

And I don’t have any intentions of reaching for this weapon should the need arise.

I picked it it up at my local range today. Put 25 Remington 230gr fmj, 25 Winchester 230gr fmj and 30 federal aluminum 230gr fmj down range. Gun ran well. 0 misfires 0 ftf 0 fte.

If this is what is within your means, and this is something you are happy with, im happy for ya. Enjoy it!

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    They're a decent starting point for a new 1911 owner or tinkerer. I have one that's seen about 5k rounds so far with some parts replacement. They are a decent slide, frame and barrel, but the small parts will fail over time. I haven't had a catastrophic parts failure, just a kind of "go out of spec over time" kinds of failure. The only part that failed that made it not work was the ejector, but that failed within 20 rounds, very soft and bent over. The rest were replaced recently around the 4-5K mark. Outside of that, I've liked mine as a "rolling chassis". I've had to restake the plunger tube, but that's par for course for any 1911 over time. The ejector, extractor and disconnector have been replaced (it kind of... squished?) but everything else has kept a decent trigger pull and not failed.

First things first: Replace the springs. They are flimsy, weak and generally underpowered. A $18 Wolff rebuild spring kit will prevent alot of problems later on. Also, get rid of the ACT mag. lol Garbage, owned by Kind Garbage of the Garbage Dynasty... I'm not saying go and buy Wilson instantly (mine likes hybrid feed lips and I've kept nothing but Checkmates in it since I've owned it), but see what it likes. Wilsons hide a lot out of spec gun issues that will EVENTUALLY crop up.

mrrogers91

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2018
    INDIANAPOLIS
    They're a decent starting point for a new 1911 owner or tinkerer. I have one that's seen about 5k rounds so far with some parts replacement. They are a decent slide, frame and barrel, but the small parts will fail over time. I haven't had a catastrophic parts failure, just a kind of "go out of spec over time" kinds of failure. The only part that failed that made it not work was the ejector, but that failed within 20 rounds, very soft and bent over. The rest were replaced recently around the 4-5K mark. Outside of that, I've liked mine as a "rolling chassis". I've had to restake the plunger tube, but that's par for course for any 1911 over time. The ejector, extractor and disconnector have been replaced (it kind of... squished?) but everything else has kept a decent trigger pull and not failed.

First things first: Replace the springs. They are flimsy, weak and generally underpowered. A $18 Wolff rebuild spring kit will prevent alot of problems later on. Also, get rid of the ACT mag. lol Garbage, owned by Kind Garbage of the Garbage Dynasty... I'm not saying go and buy Wilson instantly (mine likes hybrid feed lips and I've kept nothing but Checkmates in it since I've owned it), but see what it likes. Wilsons hide a lot out of spec gun issues that will EVENTUALLY crop up.

this is exactly why i got the gun. all the research i had done on it showed a good "rolling chassis" as you put it just needed to replace a few springs and parts. (what better way to learn the ins and outs of the 1911 pistol then to work on one?)

the only wolff rebuild kit im seeing was over $100 could you send me the link for what you used?
    i was planning to use wilson for metal parts that will need replaced but im not having any issues with the ejector yet ive only put 200 rounds through it

so i went back to the range on tuesday and put 50 s&b 230 gr fmj and the rest of the other 3 boxes i tried with no issues again.

mrrogers91

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2018
    INDIANAPOLIS
    so im about 500 rounds through the gun now with no issues. i ordered the wolff spring kit and replaced the recoil and firing pin springs. this week sometime i will dissasemble the lower and replace all of those springs. i have found 2 things i dislike about this gun, first the empty shells eject straight up and hit me in the head almost everytime, and the hammer needs to be filed down it cut my hand the day i put 250 rounds through it. but all in all it seems to be functioning well i havent cleaned it yet i am intentionally seeing how many rounds i can put through it before i have any issues. will report back once i hit 1000 or an issue whichever happens first.

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    so im about 500 rounds through the gun now with no issues. i ordered the wolff spring kit and replaced the recoil and firing pin springs. this week sometime i will dissasemble the lower and replace all of those springs. i have found 2 things i dislike about this gun, first the empty shells eject straight up and hit me in the head almost everytime, and the hammer needs to be filed down it cut my hand the day i put 250 rounds through it. but all in all it seems to be functioning well i havent cleaned it yet i am intentionally seeing how many rounds i can put through it before i have any issues. will report back once i hit 1000 or an issue whichever happens first.

Have you fired it yet since replacing the recoil spring? Does it still fling brass in your face? If so, I would start by tweaking the extractor a LITTLE bit. There are several web sites and videos to show you what you need to look for and need to do.

I have owned my fair share of the so called "cheap" 1911's and don't regret buying most of them (I had a Llama once that wouldn't even make a good paper weight). They are fun to shoot and most importantly fun to learn on without ruining an expensive pistol. All I own now are Colts, but I have been eyeballing a Rock Island CS compact to screw around with.

Congratulations on the new 1911 and welcome to the 1911 addicts support group that will talk you into more 1911'S:):

mrrogers91

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2018
    INDIANAPOLIS
    Have you fired it yet since replacing the recoil spring? Does it still fling brass in your face? If so, I would start by tweaking the extractor a LITTLE bit. There are several web sites and videos to show you what you need to look for and need to do.

I have owned my fair share of the so called "cheap" 1911's and don't regret buying most of them (I had a Llama once that wouldn't even make a good paper weight). They are fun to shoot and most importantly fun to learn on without ruining an expensive pistol. All I own now are Colts, but I have been eyeballing a Rock Island CS compact to screw around with.

Congratulations on the new 1911 and welcome to the 1911 addicts support group that will talk you into more 1911'S:):

Thanks Old Bear! I really needed another money pit lol

Yea I've put about 250 rounds through it with the new springs in the slide. Later tonight once the old lady has gone to bed I'll do some research on tuning the extractor.

I also need to find a few good magazines for the gun. ive only got the one and its given me no issues yet but im just waiting for it to happen.

mrrogers91

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2018
    INDIANAPOLIS
    so ive lost count of rounds ive put through the weapon, roughly 1000 though. I have had two fte. so i will be purchasing a new extractor for it soon and replacing that and the main sear spring just because i have one.

Asdf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2019
    Reno

I've heard that they have upgrade their warranties and are now life time.

Great to hear how it went and do let us know tomorrow, too.

I too love the 1911s. I own several Para-ordnance double and single stacks and they they shoot the lights out and they too like ATI have had a bad rap.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I've heard that they have upgrade their warranties and are now life time.

Great to hear how it went and do let us know tomorrow, too.

I too love the 1911s. I own several Para-ordnance double and single stacks and they they shoot the lights out and they too like ATI have had a bad rap.

The real Para's that were made in Canada were pretty stellar pieces. We owned/modified more than a few and all of them are still in good hands and running strong. We were fans of the brand.
    But as they entered the new millennium the quality went into the toilet. We continued to try out the new models only to be repeatedly let down.
    The last one was a complete turd. That was it for us. We have a mark set for expectations. It is set from experience and knowing wgat we want at the given price point. Para will never again have a place in our shooting rotation. Same with ATI.
    OP, as I said......you might/might not get a good one. Glad you did. Enjoy the platform.

DangerousDave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Cayuga
    ATI .45s are made in the Philippines, so are a lot of other .45s by various names. I read recently that ATI have improved on their original offering, but I have yet to shoot one. I have a Rock Island Tactical, also made in the Philippines that I dearly love. The worst .45 that I have ever owned was a Llama. Could not get it to feed properly no matter what I tried. Talk about a POS. Glad your ATI is working out for you and that you got a good one, enjoy and keep us posted.

Top Bottom