• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Deuce

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I bought a TEC-9 in EXCELLENT condition at the Fairgrounds on Friday night. After breaking her down for the 1st time in a decade or 2, I'd be surprised if she's fired 50 rounds throughout her entire life. So I'm pretty stoked bc I WAS going to help this beautiful lil lady fulfill her purpose on this Beautiful Bright Blue Ball today, but I happened to be on the phone with a buddy as I was walking out the door and he told me that he'd heard you should only fire 115 grain through a TEC-9 bc they've had problems with frames cracking when shooting anything higher. I have both 32 round mags loaded with 124 grain and I'm not sure if I even have any 115 grain left in the house...if so, it's not much at all. :( Therefore I thought I'd reach out to y'all and ask if anyone knows if what my buddy heard is true? Thanks in advance for any info you can give!

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TEC-9

The KG-9 and KG-99 have an open-end upper receiver tube where the bolt, recoil springs, and buffer plate are held in place by the plastic/polymer lower receiver frame. This design only allows for 115 grain 9mm ammunition, and if a heavier grain ammunition or hot loads are used, the plastic lower receiver will fail or crack, rendering the firearm unusable. Later versions of the TEC-9 and AB-10 had a threaded upper receiver tube at the rear and a screw-on end cap to contain the bolt, recoil spring, and buffer plate even if removed from the lower receiver, solving the problem of lower receiver failure when using hot ammo.

Deuce

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I love modifying guns so I'm definitely gonna give her my all...but if I can't get her feeding rounds a HELLUVA lot better than she did on our first date, I'll be kicking her ass to the curb faster than I can say "WTF WAS I THINKING?!!" lol

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Shot a bunch of anything through mine, but that was 1993-1995, since then it has been in my SAFE for a looong time, no reason, I just don't shoot it anymore.

Last edited:

Deuce

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Update:

Thankfully I have her shooting pretty well these days!! She definitely likes eating nickel cased 115 grain rounds best, but is pretty much eating any damn thing I feed her and rarely ever chokes anymore. WHEW! Can I get an AMEN?!!! :bacondance:

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I doubt ANY tec9 has fired 50 rounds!...all mine ever did was jam, so I sold it before I had 50 rounds thru it!
    Same here. I always looked forward to facing a gangbanger on the street with a tec 9, I knew the gun woudn't work, and even if it did figured he couldn't hit anything with it. Of course I took a lot more chances back then.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I had a friend who had a full auto Tec-9 Jam-o-matic, but that was full auto, never really heard much good about the semi's. I had to laugh at the remake of "Red Dawn" the main characters bought some TEC-9s from some guy on the street, and the movie showed them firing full auto, with no jams.....Hollywood magic!!!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spencerab23
    Top Bottom