Round chambered with spent case stuck backwards in ejection port.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fordmanchris

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 19, 2008
    Westfield
    I don't get a chance to shoot much anymore, but I took my Glock 19 gen 4 all stock out yesterday to shoot. It has probably less than 500 rounds through it. It has never had a jam or malfunction. I got through probably 150 rounds out of 200 wwb ammo and I was mid mag. I wasn't paying much attention to how many I had shot and thought that I had just emptied the mag I thought the slide had locked back. My buddy started talking to me and I still had the gun pointed down range. I went to eject the mag and realized I still had rounds in it and looked and I had a round chambered and a spent case pointed backward with the slide shut on it. I didn't think to take a pic. I cleared it and finished the mag with no issues. What in the world would cause that? I have never had it happen.
    Looking online I found it could possibly be an extractor issue, but that's the only time it has happened and has run flawlessly other than that. I'm looking for other opinions and possibilities.
    Thanks

Jim McKalip

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 16, 2009
    Cumberland
    Stuff an empty in the chamber and another in a position to simulate the problem. Then take a take a photo or 2. It would be a big help in
    analysis. This is a weird one for sure.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Oh, your Glock was just set to re-loader mode.
    It was preparing to de-prime the case. Just switch it back to fire mode and you should be OK. :yesway:

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I don't get a chance to shoot much anymore, but I took my Glock 19 gen 4 all stock out yesterday to shoot. It has probably less than 500 rounds through it. It has never had a jam or malfunction. I got through probably 150 rounds out of 200 wwb ammo and I was mid mag. I wasn't paying much attention to how many I had shot and thought that I had just emptied the mag I thought the slide had locked back. My buddy started talking to me and I still had the gun pointed down range. I went to eject the mag and realized I still had rounds in it and looked and I had a round chambered and a spent case pointed backward with the slide shut on it. I didn't think to take a pic. I cleared it and finished the mag with no issues. What in the world would cause that? I have never had it happen.
    Looking online I found it could possibly be an extractor issue, but that's the only time it has happened and has run flawlessly other than that. I'm looking for other opinions and possibilities.
    Thanks

I think I'd shoot it more with that same ammo and some other ammo and see if it occurs again.

Were all other rounds ejecting behind you and to the right or were they all over the place (any brass to the face, etc)?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Oh, your Glock was just set to re-loader mode.
    It was preparing to de-prime the case. Just switch it back to fire mode and you should be OK. :yesway:

My first thought was that it was Gaston Glock's ingenious NRHO feature.

Next Round Hold Open.

;)

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Even low probability events are stastically enevetiable.
    Tap, rack, bang. Get back in the fight.

Frankly, I'm of the opinion that your training gun should be 80% reliable, and your carry as close to 100% as possible.
    That's how you learn to clear malfunctions and keep shooting automatically.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Even low probability events are stastically enevetiable.
    Tap, rack, bang. Get back in the fight.

Frankly, I'm of the opinion that your training gun should be 80% reliable, and your carry as close to 100% as possible.
    That's how you learn to clear malfunctions and keep shooting automatically.

I'd rather have both be 100%, but induce failure if needed by mixing in some dummy rounds, etc. But, I get what you are saying.

I also agree that a single fluke event can happen with any piece of machinery.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    Interested in this one. I don't see how it could happen as the slide has to close to strip and chamber a fresh round. Did your last round fired seem weak? Maybe just low enough to send the slide back, flip over the case (now shorter w/o the bullet) but not send it out of the breech. Then as the slide starts to move forward, stripping the new round, the fired case rides along at the back till the new round is starting into the chamber and then the spent case finishes the job and stops the slide from closing. I am going to have to get out my dummy rounds and see if the lengths will allow this.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I would be checking the mag.

I have no experience with the Glock but anyone who has an old Winchester 74 knows about it.
    The last round in a 74 gets caught by the bolt because there is no next round in the mag to help it clear.
    If you had a hanger in the mag that didn't help clear the spent casing BUT popped up after the slide went full back, then one could be chambered with the spent caught.
    All it would take is a small piece of brass from the extractor in the right place at the wrong time.

It may never happen again, just blast away and find out...

fordmanchris

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 19, 2008
    Westfield
    I will set it up the way it was later and try to figure out how to pay a pic. I never have good luck, but I have not tried in a while so I'm sure I can figure it out. It was a very strange occurance. At the time I honestly didn't think much of it because I don't really get a chance to shoot a whole lot with 4 kids and as such I have never really had many malfunctions. I just was surprised it still had around chambered and I cleared it and finished the last few rounds in the mag. I got to thinking about it later and trying to figure out how in the world that would even be possible. The rounds seemed to all eject pretty normally off to the side. We were at Tim's in Westfield so I had a few hit the divider and come back at me, but none were ejecting in my face or anything. I have all factory magazines if that makes any difference except one has a Pierce +3 extension on it and I don't remember, but I'm thinking that's the one that I had the malfunction with.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I will set it up the way it was later and try to figure out how to pay a pic. I never have good luck, but I have not tried in a while so I'm sure I can figure it out. It was a very strange occurance. At the time I honestly didn't think much of it because I don't really get a chance to shoot a whole lot with 4 kids and as such I have never really had many malfunctions. I just was surprised it still had around chambered and I cleared it and finished the last few rounds in the mag. I got to thinking about it later and trying to figure out how in the world that would even be possible. The rounds seemed to all eject pretty normally off to the side. We were at Tim's in Westfield so I had a few hit the divider and come back at me, but none were ejecting in my face or anything. I have all factory magazines if that makes any difference except one has a Pierce +3 extension on it and I don't remember, but I'm thinking that's the one that I had the malfunction with.

Does the Pierce +3 come with a longer/higher tension spring? or does it use the OEM spring? If it uses an OEM spring (or the extended spring it came with is weak) but is extending the mag that much, it could be that it is not pushing the round out with enough energy and combined with a weak round, you could have the issue you are mentioning.

fordmanchris

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 19, 2008
    Westfield
    No, it was just the factory spring. I still can't seem to wrap my head around how it would physically be possible though. The round didn't seem weak, but I'm far from an expert.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    check your ejector, if it is broken it might not kick the spent brass clear.. the slide can catch it mid tumble and kick it forward.. I had a 1911 in 38 super that had all sorts of ejection issues until I got a new ejector..

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    No, it was just the factory spring. I still can't seem to wrap my head around how it would physically be possible though. The round didn't seem weak, but I'm far from an expert.

I wouldn't get my panties in a wad over a single issue if it doesn't repeat or there are no other failures. I'd just keep an eye on this, and take note of which mags, etc are in play if another issue happens.

You should be able to quickly look at your ejector by just removing the slide and taking a look, even removing the extractor and stripping the slide is relatively easy on a Glock to look at those parts closely. I'd also keep an eye on that added capacity floor plate with the standard OEM spring.

It's a bit harder to watch for a regular pattern of ejection at an indoor range with close side barriers, but I'd watch for any additional failures to eject.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Stop using H&K magazines in your Glock!

I see what you did there...

2eqasz7.jpg

Top Bottom