• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have posted about and put up pics of my S/W 22A-1 (5.5" barrels) with wood grips and cameo grips.
    While I've been trying to decide which to sell (impossible), I picked up another with yet a different set of grips and a 7" barrel.
    I couldn't help myself, and thought it might me more accurate with its longer barrel (not the case the first test out, though, ha!).
    Now I am going to hope the Smith 41 works out so I can sell all three but it will be hard since I love all the different handles/feel of the guns.

The cameo grips. Couldn't find my pic with the wood grips.
    1tqdj0X.jpg

pic of a 7" barrel (ignore the 5.5" above it)
    I was too lazy to take my own.
    38543548674_f35913986a_z.jpg

30' with all three S/W 22A-1 with the cameo grips winning this round:
    fEFZMlb.jpg

40' with all three 22A-1. I think the wood grips win this round (welcome to my world).
    bJWPq4v.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    More range time to see which is best.
    I like them all, b/c of different grips.

AZNTSQS.jpg

I like the 7" barrel, but it doesn't seem to shoot as well.
    The Wood grips always seem to edge out the Cameo grips, and I will sell the Cameo whenever I get around to it.
    I assumed the 7" barrel would shoot better than the 5.5" but that hasn't been the case in the couple of comparison so far.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    That seems to be the rule of thumb in most cases that the longer barrel will be more accurate. Is it harder to shoot because of the extra weight maybe (front heavy)? Does the balance seem out of whack?

I know some guns just shoot better than others due to stacked tolerances and things being just off enough to affect the accuracy. (It is always easy to blame stacked tolerances when things just don't add up!)

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    That seems to be the rule of thumb in most cases that the longer barrel will be more accurate. Is it harder to shoot because of the extra weight maybe (front heavy)? Does the balance seem out of whack?

I know some guns just shoot better than others due to stacked tolerances and things being just off enough to affect the accuracy. (It is always easy to blame stacked tolerances when things just don't add up!)

1. I don't notice the extra weight, and in fact, I like it: one reasons I kept buying a different CZ last summer is b/c when I went from 36 to 41 to 46 oz weight, I shot better with the heavier.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    1. I don't notice the extra weight, and in fact, I like it: one reasons I kept buying a different CZ last summer is b/c when I went from 36 to 41 to 46 oz weight, I shot better with the heavier.

It's the balance of where that weight is that can cause problems sometimes.

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    That is pretty interesting. I’ve been trying to find a 7” barrel for awhile. You never see the extra barrels for these.

Inreally like the 22a’s. I’ve been waiting to see how much you list the one you eventually sale at :):

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    That is pretty interesting. I’ve been trying to find a 7” barrel for awhile. You never see the extra barrels for these.

In really like the 22a’s. I’ve been waiting to see how much you list the one you eventually sale at :):

1. That's the only reason I bought it, for the longer 7" barrel, since I have two 5.5" already.
    2. It will be interesting to see what I sell from what I have, I certainly don't intend to keep three SW 22A-1, but I enjoy taking them all to the range and shooting them against each other.
    3. I have a Sig P250 D/A only that I love, and it fits my hand so well, but I don't shoot it much (not exactly a target pistol), but even though I'll know I'll sell it since it is a polymer and a D/A only, but I enjoy shooting it b/c of its total difference in any other .22LR I have.
    3. What I'm finding out is that a gun doesn't have to be the most accurate for me to enjoy it.
    4. This concept puts my more expensive guns at risk, but I love the Shadow 2 so much, it hurts to think of letting it go in retirement, and then there is the SW 41 that is getting looked at (firing pin was worn).
    5. I either make a decision to keep a very few of the more expensive guns and sell the rest (loosing the variety), or sell the expensive ones and keep all the others for variety.
    6. All this is fun!

Top Bottom