• ...and so much more!
  • BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I've owned a few Charter Arms Undercover .38 SPL revolvers over the years. They were all nice revolvers. My first one was purchased in the late 70's. It was a stainless steel one. I had wanted a S&W model 60, but at the time, they were as scarce as hen's teeth. The Undercover I own now was used, when I bought it. The previous owner had used a file to lower the height of the front sight. It shot pretty high for me. I decided to rectify that by attaching a shim to increase the height of the front sight and thus lowering the point of impact of the rounds on the target. I spent a few days doing this project. I think it turned out pretty good. I tend to shoot this old revolver better than my S&W model 60, primarily because the sights are nice and big, blocky and black (these old eyes need all the help they can get). The trigger has been very good since the first day I got it. The only disadvantage it has compared to the S&W model 60 is that +P ammo isn't recommended. I took the Undercover to American Shooters in Clarksville today to try out the modification. I fired the revolver while standing unsupported, double-action, with no time limit at 15 yards. How do you like your Undercover?
    pEPlks7.jpg

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've shot them off and on over the years, solid, no frills snubbies. My last one had one of those old "hip grips" for carry. Sold it to a friend who had to have it.:)

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Mine is a Stratford Connecticut revolver made in the 70's. I've heard that when the company was Charco, the quality control wasn't good. This was from 1988 to 1998. I have heard that since 2000, the quality is back up. pgreene78- Back in the day, I decided that I was going to concentrate on shooting double action. Revolvers were king back then. It took me a long time, as I'm not talented. I persevered though and finally became somewhat proficient. Don't underestimate yourself.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Pretty nice shooting, that is minute of dead! I've owned 2 Charter Arms revolvers over the years, regretted selling them, just basic, workhorse, no frills guns, would love to have a Pitbull in 9mm.

Last edited:

engi-ninja

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2018
    Columbus
    Did you do that single action or double?

I like mine; I used to carry it, but it was a little bulky for a pocket gun, and too few rounds for primary EDC. It's now my bedside safe gun. It's a lot of fun to shoot single action.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nice shooting Mike...I bought one when I ran a debit insurance route in the 80's....Same vintage as yours police trade in gun at Keislers when they had the big tables full of trade ins during the great "wondernine rebellion" of 1987...$98 OTD IIRC....

Great guns for the money....

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Mine is a Stratford Connecticut revolver made in the 70's. I've heard that when the company was Charco, the quality control wasn't good. This was from 1988 to 1998. I have heard that since 2000, the quality is back up. pgreene78- Back in the day, I decided that I was going to concentrate on shooting double action. Revolvers were king back then. It took me a long time, as I'm not talented. I persevered though and finally became somewhat proficient. Don't underestimate yourself.

I also have a Stratford, CT Bulldog in 44 special. It is respectable in every regard.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Did you do that single action or double?

I like mine; I used to carry it, but it was a little bulky for a pocket gun, and too few rounds for primary EDC. It's now my bedside safe gun. It's a lot of fun to shoot single action.
    I shot that cylinder full double-action at 15 yds. The trigger is not bad at all for a stock revolver. As I am not talented, as far as, shooting goes, I put in a lot of work, many years ago to learn to shoot a revolver double-action fairly decently. I only shoot single-action when hunting or shooting in revolver bullseye pistol matches. When I was shooting PPC matches, I shot the course double-action, even at the 50 yard line.

Crandall Crank

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 20, 2017
    Southern IN
    My only experience with them is from looooong ago. The cyclinder didn't lock up everytime and when it did, it wasn't always aligned with the barrel. I'm sure they are light years
    better now.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    My only experience with them is from looooong ago. The cyclinder didn't lock up everytime and when it did, it wasn't always aligned with the barrel. I'm sure they are light years
    better now.
    Actually of the 3 that I've owned, all were from the 70's. They all were good to go. Of course there are always exceptions. Some say the current products are superior to the older ones, but I can't say. One thing CA always touted was that the firing pin is made from beryllium copper and virtually unbreakable. I've never had to send one back for repairs, but I've heard that their customer service is good.

Top Bottom