• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jake 2000

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    indianapolis
    Looking to get my first 1911. This will be a range gun only some bowling pin shooting and target so something pretty accurate but not so tight it isn't reliable after a hundred rounds don't really want to spend over 800$ and would love to find something around 500 any suggestions??

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    The "lowest end" 1911 I will ever recommend is the Colt Competition Pistol, it can be had on several sites right now for $830. I will not recommend Springfield due to their trechary, and won't consider RIA or Taurus. A 1911 is a just inherently more expensive platform and in the $500 range IMHO you would be much better off purchasing a polymer pistol.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I've had fantastic luck with Ruger's SR1911 platform, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. New or used, it easily falls within your budget.

i3ctSMm.jpg
    [/IMG]

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I echo the Ruger SR1911 as a decent starter 1911. It was my first and led me down the path to better, but was a fine gun as long as I owned it. With Springfield pulling the crap they did, you can still feel fine buying used Springer 1911's. There was/may still be a nice used Springer Operator 1911 for sale at the Greenwood Point Blank. Looked like it would be a good first 1911 for around $800 and perhaps you could talk them down a bit... :dunno:

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    I'm pretty fond of my Ruger SR1911 Lightweight Commander! I put fiber optic/night sights and different grips on it and am still into it for around $800.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I've had fantastic luck with Ruger's SR1911 platform, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. New or used, it easily falls within your budget.

i3ctSMm.jpg
    [/IMG]

In you price point I strongly agree with this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    $500 is not going to get you into a decent 1911. It is just the way of it.

As I am a dyed in the wool Springfield guy I too feel let down by the crap they pulled so I seek out used pieces that will in no way effect Springers bottom line. If you are patient some really nice used ones pop up at very good prices.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    For the money I'd have to go with Springfield. They put out a good product for the money.
    As far as their treachery goes... It wasn't directed at me so I really don't give a **** either way.
    Corporate responsibility must be first and foremost.
    Politics are always going to leave a bad taste in anyone's mouth.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    For the money I'd have to go with Springfield. They put out a good product for the money.
    As far as their treachery goes... It wasn't directed at me so I really don't give a **** either way.
    Corporate responsibility must be first and foremost.
    Politics are always going to leave a bad taste in anyone's mouth.

Truth.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    As I am a dyed in the wool Springfield guy I too feel let down by the crap they pulled so I seek out used pieces that will in no way effect Springers bottom line. If you are patient some really nice used ones pop up at very good prices.

I agree with what you are saying, but...

If Springfield guns are highly desirable on the used market because people want their guns but don't want to put money in their pockets, remember that a gun that sells well on the used market makes them more desirable in the NEW market as well. People know they have good resale value, so they buy them new knowing they can easily re-sell them.

This indirectly puts money in Springfield's pockets.

I also have to say that the Springfield's are probably your best bet however if you can find one within your price range.

WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    You did not specify a caliber so I'll throw in my experience. I bought a Browning 1911-380 a couple years ago, 4.25" barrel, ammo is cheaper than .45 ACP, but more expensive than 9mm. It is a fun gun to shoot, accurate for me after 4,000 rounds so far. Just like a 1911 .45 ACP except 85% of the size. Breakdown is exactly the same, no tools needed, I enjoy cleaning it. Cost should range from $500 - $750 depending on style. I got the Black Medallion Fullsize Pro, I wanted an ambi safety. My main reason to get this gun was that it was the first to fit my hand after six months of searching.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You did not specify a caliber so I'll throw in my experience. I bought a Browning 1911-380 a couple years ago, 4.25" barrel, ammo is cheaper than .45 ACP, but more expensive than 9mm. It is a fun gun to shoot, accurate for me after 4,000 rounds so far. Just like a 1911 .45 ACP except 85% of the size. Breakdown is exactly the same, no tools needed, I enjoy cleaning it. Cost should range from $500 - $750 depending on style. I got the Black Medallion Fullsize Pro, I wanted an ambi safety. My main reason to get this gun was that it was the first to fit my hand after six months of searching.

1911=.45ACP unless otherwise noted.......:):

All others are just wanna-be's.......:lmfao:

No knock sir but I saw my opportunity and just could not pass it up. Enjoy.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I would be hard pressed to be talked out of my 1911s in 9mm. Two SR1911s and two DWs. It's all the things that are good about the 1911 platform with the affordability/capacity of 9mm. Mine have been nothing short of flawless, and with the way 1911s tend to naturally mitigate recoil, they are an absolute pleasure so shoot.

EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    From someone who has had their fair share of 1911's over the years, if I had to do it all over again, I'd not even entertain a $500 1911. Unless it was an old Colt, found at an estate sale that was undervalued.

Having said that, I would buy:
    1. Springfield Loaded if on budget.
    2. Save up for a Dan Wesson A2 or Valor.
    3. Have one handbuilt if I had a few grand to throw at it.

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

cmann250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 2, 2018
    Land of 300bu corn
    I’m a 1911 guy through and through. As others have, I’d recommend a Ruger SR1911. Two of my friends have them and they shoot really well for an entry level 1911. If I were in your shoes, that’s the route I’d go.

A close second would be *gasp* Kimber. Their basic models are in the mid-$600s. My Kimber pistols (sample size: 2) shoot satisfactorily. I’ve had none of the common Kimber gripes with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom