• ...and so much more!
  • Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Interesting. Seems like a lot of work to go to. I could see myself binding up the cylinder good doing something like that.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dol7fMqW6VU

Just like that Lawrence of Arabia guy who when out in the Desert and thunked and thunk till he came up with Aqaba

I went out in the Cold and Frost and Thunked and thunk till I came up with...... Small O rings

That was a really looooong movie...and the 7 Pillars of Wisdom was an even looooonger book. Where Lawrence teaches the Arabs how to make IEDs...maybe not such a good idea in retrospect.

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Just because it's on You tube, doesn't mean its a great idea.

True enough... But like wise with out some facts we should not run from new ideas like scalded dogs,.
    Just because it is on youtube does not make it wrong??? maybe unorthodox .. Maybe fattening..

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    I think this is something worth knowing in case things get bad - a tied loop of string, a rubber O-ring, and even a properly sized metal C-clip (with the inside legs a little bent) will give enough support when the firing pin strikes the primer. While not ideal for headspace control, it'll work in a pinch. Note that the shooter is using a revolver with an ejector rod rather than a star-type extractor/ejector - it makes a difference in the reliability of removing the spent casing. FWIW, I've used similar methods in rifles when fire-forming rimless brass to an odd rimmed or semi-rimmed caliber. Once fire-formed, the new pushed out shoulder provides positive headspace control on subsequent firings. Extraction can be iffy to non-existent, but some old over-built guns have eager spring-loaded extractors that will engage in the extractor groove of rimless cartridges. Desperate or creative, call it what you will, but it can work safely even if it isn't ideal.

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    From what I have found, another glitch to this little shooting test is that the max pressure for a 45 LC round is like 14000 psi with the max pressure of a 45 acp is like 21000 psi.. So unless reloaded down you would need to use a revolver that is way over built to accept he higher 45acp pressure.. Maybe like a Ruger ... Hey... I think that is just what the original Youtuber was using if memory serves me..

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Knew a fellow long ago that shot factory swaged lead .44 mags in his Ruger .45.
    He thought he couldn't be accurate with a hand gun.

Then one day a friend explained to him that his revolver wasn't a .44.

Top Bottom