• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BOVindy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2015
    Carmel
    Howdy guys. I have been interested in scandium smiths for a while and one of my biggest desires was getting my hands on a 41 magnum 357pd. Now besides the fact that smith and wesson decided to give their only scandium 41 magnum revolver a stupidly misleading name, they are quite nice pieces of firearms design. They have a 4-inch barrel and chamber 6 rounds of 41 magnum in a da/sa N-frame that still only weighs 27.5 ounces. Now I enjoy odd rounds like 327 fed magnum and 32 magnum, but I do genuinely believe that 41 magnum is a fantastic choice that only becomes better in a scandium frame. The full size scandium 44 magnums can be a bit much sometimes and the 357s can have a lot of punch for their weight, but 41 magnum is kind of a sweet spot. Now one of these revolvers recently popped up for sale but the gentlemen selling it wants $1,480. I have seen them go from anywhere as low as $700 up to $1,200 but I have never seen one that high before. Now it is new-in-box but I don't really care if I get one that is new or used. $1,480 dollars seems like a hell of a lot of money and I just wanted to see what you guys thought of the price. -Thank you for your time. Ben

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    The gun is worth what a person is willing to pay for it. Personally I think the price is way high and I would need a better definition of NIB. Has it been fired?

BOVindy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2015
    Carmel
    It's never been fired. But I think you're right. If this was a $7000-$900 purchase than I'd be all over it, but $1,500 seems like a punch in the kidneys. I guess I'll wait for the next one to roll around or for him to dramatically decrease the price. Thank you for your time. Ben

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Is it still made? Is his a Performance Center or Pro Series model? These could all be reasons for a higher price tag.
    Or maybe he is looking for a sucker.
    It is my understanding with the .44 mag scandium revolvers, that you are supposed to send them back to Smith & Wesson every 1000 rounds to have the barrel sleeve and forcing cone inspected/replaced.
    That was enough to turn me off on them. A few years ago the .44's 329 PD I believe kept popping up on the used market, having grown up shooting Smith revolvers I did some investigating.
    I wonder if the .41 mag falls into this same category? If so, me personally I would find another .41 mag to set my sights on.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    That's a lot of money, but they have been out of production since 2007 and are not very common. I couldn't find one on Gunbroker at all, not even a completed auction.
    There is a standard Model 57 (1964 vintage) on Gunbroker right now at $2300 with 41 bids. Maybe provides a frame of reference for out-of-production S&W .41s.

For comparison, you can get a brand new S&W Model 57 Classic for $885 from Bud's Guns right now.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...son/S&W+Revolvers/S&W+M57+Classic+6RD+41MAG+6

BOVindy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2015
    Carmel
    I've seen 3 pass through gunbroker. They are certainly quite rare, being a scandium smith (which isn't as produced as the others) and being a 41 magnum (which is criminally under produced). All three ended short of his asking price though, including one new in box example. I think the used ones ended at $900-$1000, while the new one commanded a price of $1200. They are pretty rare, but I think that this gentleman (like many others) might assume that Armslist buyers do a bit less price research. Either that or he genuinely believes that his gun is worth $1500. If it sells at his asking price, then I suppose he'd be right about the gun's worth, but that is still luger lvl money on a fairly modern gun. Ben

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    I have been handloading and shooting .41 Mag. revolvers for 35 years. I like recoil as much as anybody - but not enough to shoot .41 Mag. out of a flyweight alloy revolver. You need professional help.....

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I have been handloading and shooting .41 Mag. revolvers for 35 years. I like recoil as much as anybody - but not enough to shoot .41 Mag. out of a flyweight alloy revolver. You need professional help.....

I'm with you on that one. :):

I love shooting all-steel magnum revolvers, but I don't have the slightest desire to shoot a 27 ounce .41 magnum. I don't even like .38 Airweights.

Save yourself a grand and just lay your hand on a table (palm up) and hit it with a hammer six times.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom