price check - sell used S&W Shield 9MMs?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebHobbit

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Spencer County
    So right now I have 3 handguns. All are 9mm S&W Shields. Two are original 1.0s and my favorite is the 2.0 version. They all have factory night sights. Some of you may be wondering WHY three of the same gun? A couple of reasons...

1) it's hard to find ANY auto that fits my small hands. The Shield is NEARLY perfect in that regard.

2) My original protocol was to always have TWO identical guns....why? My OCD doesn't allow me to holster a dirty gun. (I know, I know in a real battle situation...) So my method is thus: Go to the range to practice. Wear gun A.....shoot gun B. Next range trip....switch....etc. (and yes I do keep precise records of all rounds fired so they stay close to even) Only flaw here was that on the trips to the range when my Wife doesn't come along (not often but still) then I am leaving here at home UNARMED. So this is how I ended up with the third Shield.

So now I think I'm gonna get the .45 and the .40 versions of the Shield 2.0 (as I very much prefer the new grip texture and slide serrations). I've shot 40 and 45 ACP guns in the past and I loved them too. I only settled on 9mm before for the extra round and cheaper ammo. I prefer leather OWB pancake holsters. I looked on Galco's site and it seems the 40 and 45 ACP Shields share the same holsters but not the 9mm. So I would have to buy one more holster for this new plan to work if I sell both 1.0s. So what would be a fair asking price for a Shield 1.0 with factory Night Sights and round count is 708 and 608. I may keep one of the 1.0s....I dunno.

And yes I know I'm an odd one! :)

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I had to drop to $250 to sell mine just recently. Some place online was selling new ones for $290. SW really killed any value of their used guns.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    The night sights add a little value, but I think you'd be lucky to get $300 for a used one. $250-$275 sounds about right.
    I've seen them for $289 with standard sights.
    I remember last year that you could get a brand new Shield for a little over $200 with S&W $75 rebate.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Used shield 1.0 at the gunshop sell quickly for $249 with no box and 1 magazine. I just sold my Shield 1.0 with 4 magazines and gun case for $300. That was to a friend. We figured if it hit the gun case it would have had a price tag of $329.

Night sights would add a little bit.

Personal opinion is the 2.0 is not worth the extra cost compared to a 1.0. But that is a decision the consumer has to make for themselves.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    In person, I've seen used ones go for $250-$325. I am in the market for one, but I think I will wait for this friday. I remember them being about $300, these last couple of years. Sounds like yours will be in good condition and taken care of. I'm sure if it in this price range, they will sell.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    The night sights add a little value, but I think you'd be lucky to get $300 for a used one. $250-$275 sounds about right.
    I've seen them for $289 with standard sights.
    I remember last year that you could get a brand new Shield for a little over $200 with S&W $75 rebate.

Yep, I got my 2.0 new, with standard sights, shipped for like $$288 with no rebate involved.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Seriously? Used Shields should be no more than about $200-225 because you regularly see brand new guns for $275-300. Same thing regarding used prices proportionally should go for common everyday Glocks, Rutgers, Springfield Armory, etc. and guns like them. This past weekend at some gun shows dealers were trying to sell a lot of used common guns at almost new gun prices. They must be smoking something illegal for sure. LOL!

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I think we are close to hand twinzies. I too love the 9mm Shield and recently traded into a Shield .45. It is a little thicker but comfortable in my hand. I have shot a grand total of one mag but it was very accurate. casual quick offhand 6 rounds in about 3" at 10 yards.

If you want to try it I would be glad to meet up at Red Brush and let you wring it out.

GlocKnuckle

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2018
    Charleston
    When I shop used guns, they've got to be 30% less than list price for me to even consider them. You'll have better luck chasing the manufacturer if something goes foul than you will from the individual or reselling LGS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    When I shop used guns, they've got to be 30% less than list price for me to even consider them. You'll have better luck chasing the manufacturer if something goes foul than you will from the individual or reselling LGS.
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1. Agreed.
    2. I go for $100 less than retail and sometimes get a little more.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    With quotes like that, you may be better off just to keep them for now.

Correct. Unless you are selling it to someone you know who needs a cheap, reliable gun. Otherwise keep them. If nothing else grab a couple $30 pistol safes and leave them in convenient places that you frequent. The Shield 1.0 are still great guns that just work.

Viking Fires

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 11, 2017
    Clarksville
    I sold one about a year and a half ago for $300 without night sights but since then I've seen new ones going for that price or less online. With night sights I feel like you could at least get $300 out of it. Maybe look around on armslist and see what people are asking on there, although you'll probably see some idiots asking $400-500 in trade value. $50 less than the new price is where I usually start my stuff out for sale.

allthumbs

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 30, 2019
    NW, IN
    Palmetto has had the V1, 9mm for $250.00 brand new, I don't know if the prices are coming down or if it's because S&W is moving to MO. and trying to push their stock, but either way that's a hard deal to beat.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Palmetto has had the V1, 9mm for $250.00 brand new, I don't know if the prices are coming down or if it's because S&W is moving to MO. and trying to push their stock, but either way that's a hard deal to beat.

I would say it is because the 2.0 is here and S&W blew out the M1.0. My guess is PSA is sitting on top of some inventory to get to that price point. I won't go into details but there has been some incentives from distribution for some time to move out 1.0 inventories.

The 1.0 is still a great gun and if a person needs a reliable $300 carry gun it is a great choice. Personally I am still packing around my sweat infused Walther PPS Classic which at one time cost well over $600. As of 2019 single stack striker fired pistols are guns that have literally been produced by the millions, not collectible but still serviceable.

Top Bottom