• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    I have owned lots and lots and lots of guns in my lifetime. But I don't have a large number of firearms at any one time because I don't keep anything that doesn't "do it" for me.

I am having a hard time finding an EDC that feels right to me. My current rotation is either my CZ PCR or my S&W J frame .38 special. I love them both and have no plans to replace either of them. However, I would like to find something that carries somewhere in between the double stack CZ and the little 5 shot snubbie. I have no desire to own another polymer pistol (I've owned both a Shield and an XDS in the past).

Since I have a couple of CZ's and absolutely love the way they fit my hand, I decided that a Rami would be the perfect solution. I finally picked up a new CZ Rami 2075 BD. I find this pistol to be accurate and reliable, BUT, no matter how much I wanted to, I just cannot find any love for the little Rami. So the Rami will probably be sold off to fund something else. I have heard nothing but good feedback on the old 3rd gen S&W single stacks. I have never handled one but I am thinking that one of these single stack 9mm's or even 45's might be what I am looking for.

My question is, does anyone have any experience with both the Rami and 3rd gen S&W and how do the compare for EDC? I am specifically looking at the 3913/3914's or CS9/CS45 or the 908/457 models. What say you INGO?

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    CZ Rami BD vs S&W 3rd gen single stack for EDC

I have all you mentioned except the 908/457.

Putting aside the usual caveats about it is what you like and not what I like, you have to try them yourself, etc...

The PCR is a tremendous firearm and I'm not sure you will find a better one.

The SW 3913 is just an excellent all metal CCW. Great great gun and can be had pretty reasonable especially if you want a shooter.

The cs9/cs45 are RAMI like in stature (short/fat). Not my personal favorite but like all 3rd gens they are tanks that run and run and run.

The closest of what you mention to being "in the middle" is the 3913.

If you are ever near Fort Wayne; stop by.

Shield PCR CS45
    3913 CS9

314274eda2c29a9e66718566f2d1dc55.jpg

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    What about a 6906? Double stack 12nd compact. You can find grip adapters to use 5906 mags for 15rds and increase the amount of grip.

I carry my 3913 in a leather shoulder holster and it's great.

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    mcapo:
    Thanks, this is the exact information I was looking for. I agree that the PCR is near perfection and it will never let it get away from me (willingly).

1775usmarine:
    My double stack Rami holds 10rds in the flush mag and 14rds with a compact mag and adapter. The problem is that I find the Rami to "blocky" for such a small pistol and it just doesn't feel right in my hand. It really doesn't do anything that my PCR doesn't do better. I think a single stack would fill my needs pretty good. I have a Bersa Thunder that is the "perfect" size for what I want, but I want something with a little more authority than a .380acp. I'm thinking something like the 3913/3914 might be my answer.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    mcapo:
    Thanks, this is the exact information I was looking for. I agree that the PCR is near perfection and it will never let it get away from me (willingly).

1775usmarine:
    My double stack Rami holds 10rds in the flush mag and 14rds with a compact mag and adapter. The problem is that I find the Rami to "blocky" for such a small pistol and it just doesn't feel right in my hand. It really doesn't do anything that my PCR doesn't do better. I think a single stack would fill my needs pretty good. I have a Bersa Thunder that is the "perfect" size for what I want, but I want something with a little more authority than a .380acp. I'm thinking something like the 3913/3914 might be my answer.

I would suggest the 3913/14nl as the dust cover has a slight slant to it compared to a regular 3913. I would also skip the cheaper 908 as it is blocky compared to the 13's. If your looking for a full size grip and full size barrel the single stack 3906 if you can find one is another option.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Old Bear, I can appreciate where you're at in trying to find the right fit. Like mcapo and you, I LOVE my PCR (and P-01), and would be extremely hard pressed to turn either one loose. While my PCR has the least amount of Cajun upgrades (just the ultra-light kit, LOK grips and a Dawson FO front sight), I think it's my favorite.

I also tried the RAMI as a CC option. I may be wrong, but when comparing it to the PCR or P-01 from the top, the RAMI seemed every-so-slightly chunkier. I carried it for a bit, but as you noted, it's a bit on the thick side for what I was after. I wanted something just a bit smaller than the PCR dimensionally, ideally in single stack, and a slightly shorter grip would be ace. Oh, and no polymer if I could help it.

I ended up landing on the Ruger SR1911 9mm Officer Model, and couldn't be happier. So far it's run without a hitch, has been plenty accurate, and as my EDC for the last 8+ months, it's exactly what I was looking for. The alloy frame makes for a fairly light and easy carry option. I also have a DW ECO in 9mm, which is nearly identical to the Ruger in every measurement, so it will likely make it into the rotation at some point. Don't get me wrong, there was a LOT that I loved about the RAMI. It just needed to go on a diet... I've got to think a RAMI in single stack would sell as quickly as CZ could make them.

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    Old Bear, I can appreciate where you're at in trying to find the right fit. Like mcapo and you, I LOVE my PCR (and P-01), and would be extremely hard pressed to turn either one loose. While my PCR has the least amount of Cajun upgrades (just the ultra-light kit, LOK grips and a Dawson FO front sight), I think it's my favorite.

I also tried the RAMI as a CC option. I may be wrong, but when comparing it to the PCR or P-01 from the top, the RAMI seemed every-so-slightly chunkier. I carried it for a bit, but as you noted, it's a bit on the thick side for what I was after. I wanted something just a bit smaller than the PCR dimensionally, ideally in single stack, and a slightly shorter grip would be ace. Oh, and no polymer if I could help it.

I ended up landing on the Ruger SR1911 9mm Officer Model, and couldn't be happier. So far it's run without a hitch, has been plenty accurate, and as my EDC for the last 8+ months, it's exactly what I was looking for. The alloy frame makes for a fairly light and easy carry option. I also have a DW ECO in 9mm, which is nearly identical to the Ruger in every measurement, so it will likely make it into the rotation at some point. Don't get me wrong, there was a LOT that I loved about the RAMI. It just needed to go on a diet... I've got to think a RAMI in single stack would sell as quickly as CZ could make them.

Agreed....a single shot Rami would be a hot ticket and I would be in the front of the line to get one:):

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    Ok....I talked myself into (with a little help from my INGO friends:):) a 3rd gen single stack so the Rami is hopefully going to have a new home by the end of the week. For right now, I'll just look for a good shooter and if I like it, I'll keep my eyes out for a really nice one.

My next decision is which caliber and which model. I find myself bouncing back and forth between 9mm or 45acp. I reload and enjoy shooting both calibers, but tend to shoot 9mm a lot more for several reasons. Right now I can find nice 457's for $50-100 less than a comparable 908's and $100-150 less than well used 3913/3914's. I like the idea of carrying a .45 again, but then again.......

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    If your not concerned about the finish the 457 would be my choice, though I've got 2 457's and a 3913. My 457's are at least a conservative 95% and bought for 350-400. I would pass on the 908 and find a 13 or 14.

Top Bottom