• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Deuce

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I recently bought a used Ruger Mark II and I'm pretty sure the gun had NEVER been completely field-stripped for a clean, nor did the previous owner clean it at all it seemed. I found out why it hadn't been completely field stripped when I removed the bolt and tried to remove the receiver/barrel from the frame myself. HOLY SH*T!!! :wallbash: Several people online said if there's difficulty removing the reciever/barrel from the frame on a particular Mark II then a mallet is needed to beat them apart. During three separate cleanings now I've beat the back of the receiver on that bad boy harder than I've EVER pounded on ANY gun in all of my years, and I'm STILL having to clean the gun with both parts attached bc I can't get even a quarter millimeter of separation. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!! Thanks in advance! :yesway:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    :wow:

I feel for you, and heard of such nightmares!

I hear the Mark 4 is a kinder, gentler field strip.

Someone here will have had experience with this and help you!

But, they are all sleeping now! :dunno:

Deuce

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Thanks man!! I sure hope so cause I'm about to go bat-sh*t crazy not being able to clean all the nooks and crannies of one of my babies...:nailbite:

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    .lol... Been there done that..

Watch a few YouTube videos, it gets easier..

.I have an early MK 2, I take the grips off and put it in the safety clean parts washer in my shop.

Deuce

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Btw I hear even the Mark III is a helluva lot easier to field strip, but I was willing to work a little harder for the luxury of paying less than 200 bones for my Mark II w/ 3 mags. I'm rethinking that position now though... :ugh:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Many years ago, my brother had one. Just remember him using a rubber mallet or dead blow hammer as mentioned above. Never had one myself, pretty much for that reason.
    I remember a lot of folks using Majestic Arms speed strip kits in them https://majesticarms.com/product-category/speedstripkits/

:wow: What a great bit of INGO!!! There will be many grateful people out there (if they can get their gun apart to do the fix :ugh:

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    :wow: What a great bit of INGO!!! There will be many grateful people out there (if they can get their gun apart to do the fix :ugh:

Yeah, I hear they are even more fun to put back together if you don't have the kit. My brother had his before the days of Youtube, so made it even more fun.

Deuce

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Thanks guys...& thank the Good Lord for YouTube!! Lol The Speed Strip kit looks to be good for removing that pesky hammer strut pin from the reassembly process, but doesn't look to me like it'll make any difference with separating the receiver from the frame. Am I wrong about that? I'll try a dead blow hammer when I get home from visiting family up in MI. Thanks again y'all, please keep the suggestions coming, and HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Getting the frame and receiver to separate the first time is the worst. I have a MkIII that refused to split initially and it still stubborn.

I found the easiest way is to set the edge of the reciever on the floor, carpet or rug, at an angle so the grip is in the air and then smack the frame. I had to use a rubber mallet the first time but it’s able to work loose now with 1 or 2 good hits with the heel of my palm.

I debated on the majestic kit until I learned it doesn’t play nice with the VQ upgrades and the full majestic trigger tuning isn’t as highly regarded.

You are correct. The speed strip kit will do nothing for splitting the reciever and frame. If you aren’t having issues with disassembly or reassembly than it really doesn’t t add any value.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    I'm still laughing with you, In the early 80's when I bought mine, I went out and shot it and when back at home I field stripped it. After arguing with it for a few hours I put the parts in the box and drive to my cousin's gun store. My great uncle was behind the counter and he was a Army gunsmith and when he opened the box of parts he instantly turned around and yelled.
    Tom.TOm... TOM COME OUT FRONT... HERE Tom, put this back together for him..
    Uncle George quickly walked away while Tom ( the gunsmith ) quickly put it back together.
    Without a hammer I might say.
    My son did the same thing with it 30 years later, after watching a YouTube, he got it back together. After that he understands me putting it in the parts cleaning tank..

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    The first time I cleaned my MkIII, it took me well over an hour to get it back together. Still struggle with it and have to follow a video each time. Some people are able to do it much easier, but I'm convinced that is at least 50% the gun fit. The Mk4 is a huge step forward, but old Rugers are built like tanks and someone will always need help with the older models.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    The first time I cleaned my MkIII, it took me well over an hour to get it back together. Still struggle with it and have to follow a video each time. Some people are able to do it much easier, but I'm convinced that is at least 50% the gun fit. The Mk4 is a huge step forward, but old Rugers are built like tanks and someone will always need help with the older models.

It seems to be gun dependent as well. My 22/45 is noticeably easier than my Hunter to disassemble and reassemble. The Hunter is much tighter.

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    I have several MKI,II,III and yes even the 4. The MKI and MKII were the easiest to disassemble until the MKiV came out. The MKIII was always the worst because Ruger forgot to add a step in the owners manual due to their Mag disconnect. Because of the tight fit between the Upper and Lower yes you will need a rubber hammer for the first few disassemblies. As the metal on Metal wears in, it will get easier. If you are still having concerns I would be glad to show you some pointers if you wanted to get together

Top Bottom