• ...and so much more!
  • Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I'm looking for a couple of new blue Colt 45 A1 1911's. The only thing I'll keep is the barrel, slide, and frame. I'm wanting one with the ejection port already flared and a heavy slide. Also Novak style fixed sights, preferably night sights. I'm hoping someone can point me to the right model to get.

Last edited:

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    It's for a good defense gun build for my wife and I. I'll just put different Esmeraldo cocobolo grips on them to tell them apart.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    At the risk of being :flamethrower: why Colt.

My brother in law and I are going to build them at the kitchen table and he's already sourced the parts. He's a Nam vet, good gunsmith and trainer, so following his lead. His guns are sick, Schmitt and Bender scopes with custom rectiles, 1 1/2 lb stainless triggers. Custom 'waiver signed' builds. It's something we're going to do together and I'm following his lead. I'm assuming his A1 is an older 70's model and I'm looking for a 70 series hopefully with the port flared and Novak sights.

Last edited:

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Having a hard time finding a series 70 government with flared port. They have it in the competition model but it's got that upswept safety and I'm afraid 'competition' might mean a lighter slide.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Having a hard time finding a series 70 government with flared port. They have it in the competition model but it's got that upswept safety and I'm afraid 'competition' might mean a lighter slide.

Port is not difficult to flare if you have some patience. Or let AllenM do it for you. Easy peasy.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If you had something else in mind, I'll see if his parts will work with it.

I stay away from any newer Colt offerings but you guys are on the hunt for the older 70 series.
    If you have a plan I will not inject anything as it only causes issues with guys that are set to go. I am sure you will enjoy the process and have a slick piece when you are done.

As to the parts......depending but if after market 1911 pieces they can be fit up. I would like to see this build if you can post up some pics of the progress.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I would like to see this build if you can post up some pics of the progress.

I would love to if nothing is proprietary. It's something he wants to do with me and I'm stoked. Only because I'm family he said. He told me a little about what we're going to do and why. Can't wait to build them.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I lean towards the Springfield line up. It has served me very well. Fit up is generally a few steps better than most colts depending.

I hope you find a good one.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Flared ejection port is something I wanted and I just found out they're not on the 70 government series. One forum said it's not needed if the extractor is working right or if you want to reload your brass. I'll just get one with the Novak sights.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I'm going with the 70 Series Competition blue models. They have the match barrel. I can swap the sights for night sights. I like the titanium but the blue is classic and looks better with any grips. It's also cheaper.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I'm with cm. I had a new colt commander, it was hot garbage. Wouldn't run more than 2 mags without some fun new fail. Inaccurate and sloppy, slide was super loose and noticeable rattle while handling. Traded around and ended up with a Springfield ro and it's the ticket. Allenm has done some work and it is now an infinitely better pistol. I will not touch another colt.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm with cm. I had a new colt commander, it was hot garbage. Wouldn't run more than 2 mags without some fun new fail. Inaccurate and sloppy, slide was super loose and noticeable rattle while handling. Traded around and ended up with a Springfield ro and it's the ticket. Allenm has done some work and it is now an infinitely better pistol. I will not touch another colt.

I was being tender. OP is pretty stoked about this. If he does find an older 70 series he has a good chance at an end product that will impress.
    If his relative is dyed in the wool Colt guy then best not to stir the waters.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I actually prefer Springfield over Colt. I'll get some more information before ordering. If it is a Colt build I'll probably be looking for an older A1 like he said. It's not my recipe but I do trust the cook. I was wanting to get the Wilson Combat Tactical Elite and he said we'll build something instead.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I was being tender. OP is pretty stoked about this. If he does find an older 70 series he has a good chance at an end product that will impress.
    If his relative is dyed in the wool Colt guy then best not to stir the waters.

I noticed the slow roll lol. I hope to save him some monies and stress. I like the sa so much i have a trp on the way lol. The colt made me turn and run, very nearly cemented me against the 1911 completely.

Top Bottom