Have you noticed the recent wave of Beretta 92's...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    All of a sudden all these 92's have hit the market. Sure the book writers say 25% deduction for police/military, but didn't they say that when Mosin's were $35?

People will act like this manna will always be available but I just nabbed a 4 digit s/n 92S for $300. Slightly "more used" varieties can be found up to $50 less.

The one I picked has carry wear but inside the finish has no wear marks and I don't even care for 9mm...

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I believe the Italian government released a ton of police and military issue 92S models not too long ago.

The 92 series has become very popular both because of it's iconic look as used in many movies plus it's use by our own military as the M9.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Anybody finding mags for these? I briefly considered one, but I'm not finding the special mags that it takes online. It won't take regular Beretta 92 mags, most of them don't have the notch for the heel type mag release. Sort of a non-starter for me if it won't take regular 92 mags. Even at $299, I think I'd just as soon have a used Taurus PT-92 for about the same price.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Seems people here know, but just a refresh from a Beretta nut, only use factory marked, MDS, or Mec-gar mags in the 92 series. MDS and Mec-gar make factory mags for Beretta and others, and I have several MDS that are marked identical to the Beretta mag except "MDS" replaces the Beretta "PB". Don't waste your money on other mags.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    I ordered 3 Beretta 92S from JG sales a few months ago when they were $285. The WORST condition example of the 3 was in my estimation still 'very good' with only some minor rub marks in the parkerizing on the slide, at the edges around the muzzle. Not one had any of the finish worn on the frame rails, barrel, or locking block (the three areas that show ware first). Internally they are new guns that have seen a handful of rounds at best.

I am going to reiterate for / enable the turds who don't read through treads by saying that these DO NOT take special magazines. The overwhelming majority of Beretta 92 mags out there have the heel cut on them - the newest extra capacity mags and the military surplus M9 mags do not, but most Beretta factory mags and MecGar mags DO have the cut. If you walk around ANY gun show, you will find a pile of mags for your 92S. Please stop repeating false information about guns you do not own and have not researched (I know, it's the internet... but just try).

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I ordered 3 Beretta 92S from JG sales a few months ago when they were $285. The WORST condition example of the 3 was in my estimation still 'very good' with only some minor rub marks in the parkerizing on the slide, at the edges around the muzzle. Not one had any of the finish worn on the frame rails, barrel, or locking block (the three areas that show ware first). Internally they are new guns that have seen a handful of rounds at best.

I am going to reiterate for / enable the turds who don't read through treads by saying that these DO NOT take special magazines. The overwhelming majority of Beretta 92 mags out there have the heel cut on them - the newest extra capacity mags and the military surplus M9 mags do not, but most Beretta factory mags and MecGar mags DO have the cut. If you walk around ANY gun show, you will find a pile of mags for your 92S. Please stop repeating false information about guns you do not own and have not researched (I know, it's the internet... but just try).

No need to get butthurt because someone points out an important difference between the modern 92fs/M9 and this pistol. I had a casual interest in picking one of these up, but a quick Google search revealed a lot of "out of stock" for mags that work with the 92s. Also a few videos on modifying regular surplus mags to work by cutting the notch yourself, which shouldn't exist if the mags were plentiful.

I'll take your word on the piles of 92s mags at the gun shows, since I don't usually attend them due to the smell. :):

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Most people are bandwagoners. Is that the right term?
    They are sheep that let others think for them and they follow the trends. Big army just got a new (crappy) pistol and they all want it. People are dumping italian perfection and buying mutt junk.
    Supply and demand. More berettas will continue flooding the market so prices will go down.

pblanc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2014
    Evansville

Some Mec-Gar magazines have the heel cut-out but many do not. None of my 18 round Mec-Gar magazines does, nor does my 20 round Mec-Gar plus2 magazine. None of the 10 round Mec-Gar magazines that I have seen have the heel cut-out. The factory Beretta sand-resistant 15 round magazine does not have the heel cut-out, and Check Mate Beretta magazines don't have it either. There are plenty of sources for magazines that have the heel cut-out, but if you have a 92S make sure that the magazine you are ordering has it.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    They are sheep that let others think for them and they follow the trends. Big army just got a new (crappy) pistol and they all want it. People are dumping italian perfection and buying mutt junk.
    Supply and demand. More berettas will continue flooding the market so prices will go down.
    And I’ll be happy to keep buying them!

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

That and some people think "the Army is getting rid of them... there must be something wrong with them".

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I picked one up a couple of years ago (92s) and promptly got rid of it. I couldn't shoot it worth a darn. Second Beretta I'd owned (had a Storm sub-compact too) and I just never could get used to the mile-long trigger pull. I was bummed because it was so cheap and I really wanted to like it. Loved the way the Storm looked and felt in my hand but same issue with the long trigger pull.

Top Bottom