• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    At 20' shooting the Sig Sauer 365, Ruger Officer 1911 9mm, Bersa Thunder Pro XT, Ruger P95 and CZ Rami.
    Red inner circle: 7/10 rounds = Pro XT and Officer 1911 tied.
    Red and Grey circles totaled: 10/10 rounds tied = Sig 365 and the Pro XT.

Remarkable that the smallest and biggest gun shot the best in the R+G.
    The others shot really close, so it will be interesting to see if on another it will be different since I'm the X factor.
    sgmjEmq.jpg

At 30' shooting the Sig Sauer 365, Ruger Officer 1911 9mm, Bersa Thunder Pro XT, Ruger P95 and CZ Rami.
    Red inner circle: 4/10 rounds = Pro XT and Rami tied.
    Red and Grey circles totaled: 9/10 rounds = Bersa Thunder Pro XT
    JJCkX0R.jpg

At 40' shooting the Sig Sauer 365, Ruger Officer 1911 9mm, Bersa Thunder Pro XT, Ruger P95 and CZ Rami and introduced the CZ Shadow 2 at 40'.
    Red inner circle: 2/10 rounds = Bersa Thunder Pro XT and CZ Shadow 2 tied, if you could see close the CZ Shadow 2 barely broke the red circle paper,
    but the Pro XT shot better red circles.
    Red and Grey circles totaled: 10/10 rounds = CZ Shadow 2.

The Rami went crazy on me: rushed my shots, but I still couldn't believe it!
    Couldn't believe how close the Pro XT came to the Shadow 2.
    4RPAzPW.jpg

The CZ Rami was the weakest gun, especially at the longer distances.
    I think it's me, mostly, however.

Last edited:

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I want to see some ragged one hole groups @ 20'!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    My SIG P226 is the most accurate of the 9mms I have and it now has a dot sight on it. A compact P239 is not far behind. My Smith Shield 9mm is the least accurate of my 9s.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    The Shadow 2 easily shows better potential for a tight grouping.

When comparing guns I only look at group size such as the Shadow 2's cluster of 8 shots and 2 fliers (ammo or shooter related). Later I will concentrate on one gun and adjust it's sights or my use of the sights to move the group center of target. To me, the width of the Shadow 2's 6 (?) shot vertical string all on the "#6" gives an indication of the guns ability. The other 4 hits are the results of the shooter/ammo.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I want to see some ragged one hole groups @ 20'!

1. Me too!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    My SIG P226 is the most accurate of the 9mms I have and it now has a dot sight on it. A compact P239 is not far behind. My Smith Shield 9mm is the least accurate of my 9s.

2. That's one of the reasons after getting the Sig 365 I let my beloved Shield 9 go.

The Shadow 2 easily shows better potential for a tight grouping.
    When comparing guns I only look at group size such as the Shadow 2's cluster of 8 shots and 2 fliers (ammo or shooter related). Later I will concentrate on one gun and adjust it's sights or my use of the sights to move the group center of target. To me, the width of the Shadow 2's 6 (?) shot vertical string all on the "#6" gives an indication of the guns ability. The other 4 hits are the results of the shooter/ammo.

3. Totally!
    4. I am intrigued to see how close the Bersa Thunder Pro XT will be able to keep to the Shadow 2.

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Nice test...i like to see this stuff.

I would have a bersa thunder in a heartbeat if they didnt have that lawyer lock. I think theyre attractice pistols.

God bless
    Shred

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Nice test...i like to see this stuff.
    I would have a bersa thunder in a heartbeat if they didnt have that lawyer lock. I think theyre attractice pistols.
    God bless
    Shred

1. If you ever get one, you must get the Pro XT: it is everything they said it was from the guy I bought it from on INGO, reading online.
    2. It seems like everyone who uses this Pro XT thinks it is terrific: no corners seemed to be cut in its design, at least for an amateur like myself.:dunno:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I had to test out a gun I bought, but it didn't measure up to what I had so I sold it in 2 minutes.
    But, I had 4 other that I tested out at 20' and 30' like last night (but no Sig 365 today).

20' with Ruger Officer 1911 9mm, CZ Rami, Bersa Thunder Pro XT, Ruger P95.
    Jt5SKyN.jpg

30' with Ruger Officer 1911 9mm, CZ Rami, Bersa Thunder Pro XT, Ruger P95.
    RQGFatl.jpg

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I don't think I would be so quick to ditch a purchase. I have a couple of guns that are very ammo sensitive but when I use what they like they shoot ragged one hole groups. Some of my guns don't seem to care and shoot everything nearly equally.

You'll see people talk about trying different loads in rifle all the time but you don't hear it much at all when talking pistols. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I don't think I would be so quick to ditch a purchase. I have a couple of guns that are very ammo sensitive but when I use what they like they shoot ragged one hole groups. Some of my guns don't seem to care and shoot everything nearly equally.

You'll see people talk about trying different loads in rifle all the time but you don't hear it much at all when talking pistols. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

1. I have sold 2 of the guns tested from this range visit.
    2. The Glock 26’s days were numbered when I got the Sig 365 and the Ruger Officer 1911 9mm, and totally done after getting the Bersa Thunder Pro XT.
    3. Last night I got a new CZ P-09 which I’m taking to the range after work which will probably necessitate eliminating the Ruger P95.
    4. I do love testing out different guns: makes me appreciate what I own/keep.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    doddg - I have been meaning to ask where those targets come from. Are they range provided or do you buy them somewhere? They seem like great targets for 7 to 15 yard shooting.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    doddg - I have been meaning to ask where those targets come from. Are they range provided or do you buy them somewhere? They seem like great targets for 7 to 15 yard shooting.

1. I love them: my favorite.
    2. I wish they came with 6 instead of 5 targets.
    3. The range has the kind with 6 but not with 3 circles but just 1, which I like using for 40'.
    4. I'll have to look up where I order them: pm me to remind me; I need to run errands right now.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I didn't want to start a new thread for another 9mm range time so I'm putting these different size gun pics here in this generic title.
    Ironically, the guns I originally posted have nearly all been replaced.

20' with the Ruger EC9s & Bersa TPR9c & SW 5906 & Ruger SR9c & CZ P-07
    All rounds shot from a gun rest.
    Smaller number on the top part of each target are the rounds in the inner blue circle.
    Larger number on the bottom part of each target are the rounds in the inner blue and inner yellow circles combined.
    yKxaiUJ.jpg

Results fairly similar with the SW 5906 POA not being POI even though I'm trying to aim high, bringing my front site up past the rear posts.
    When I do this free hand it will be exasperating, I'm sure.
    I shouldn't even use a rest for the smaller 9mms since they are not range guns, but I wanted the quick rush. :laugh:

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Predictably, the guns I originally posted have nearly all been replaced.

FTFY :ingo:

Regarding this
    even though I'm trying to aim high, bringing my front site up past the rear posts

Not sure that is the way I'd go about it. I would hold the sights even and raise the leveled set of sights above the point I was trying to hit maybe, rather than tilt the gun ... might be different off a rest, not sure, but would think that tilting the gun where the front sight is not even with the back, would make it difficult to get a decent group... but then thankfully I don't think I've had a fixed sight gun (at least anything that I remember) shoot that low, and anymore, I'm shooting more steel than paper (though I should put some of my more recent acquisitions on paper).

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    FTFY :ingo:

Regarding this .

Not sure that is the way I'd go about it. I would hold the sights even and raise the leveled set of sights above the point I was trying to hit maybe, rather than tilt the gun ... might be different off a rest, not sure, but would think that tilting the gun where the front sight is not even with the back, would make it difficult to get a decent group... but then thankfully I don't think I've had a fixed sight gun (at least anything that I remember) shoot that low, and anymore, I'm shooting more steel than paper (though I should put some of my more recent acquisitions on paper).

The SW 5906 is a gun I'm committed to for reasons that are not all logical (yes, I have a weakness with this classic 3rd gen S/W).
    Any other gun and I would have simply moved on, but I'm indulging in this weakness. :laugh:
    The accuracy has always been an issue which will not be alleviated until different sights are addressed, but I'm trying to go slow and learn to live with it and adjust accordingly.
    I was warned to get a 5906 with an adjustable rear sight but I didn't listen. :ugh:
    Having the front sight replaced with one with a lower height will bring up the POI from what I've read, which would seem to be the logical thing to do, unless replacing the rear sight with an adjustable one is the better route. :dunno:
    Since this is not meant to replace a range gun, I don't need absolute accuracy anyway, but I would like it to be reasonable.
    In due time when I find someone who will know how to address the issue.
    There are probably 10 people here on INGO that could solve the issue.

markholst

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 21, 2016
    Russiaville
    The SW 5906 is a gun I'm committed to for reasons that are not all logical (yes, I have a weakness with this classic 3rd gen S/W).
    Any other gun and I would have simply moved on, but I'm indulging in this weakness.
    The accuracy has always been an issue which will not be alleviated until different sights are addressed, but I'm trying to go slow and learn to live with it and adjust accordingly.
    I was warned to get a 5906 with an adjustable rear sight but I didn't listen. :ugh:
    Having the front sight replaced with one with a lower height will bring up the POI from what I've read, which would seem to be the logical thing to do, unless replacing the rear sight with an adjustable one is the better route. :dunno:
    Since this is not meant to replace a range gun, I don't need absolute accuracy anyway, but I would like it to be reasonable.
    Have you tried playing with different ammo? In some cases, it can make a huge difference on POA/POI.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Any other gun and I would have simply moved on, but I'm indulging in this weakness. :laugh:

For discussion purposes, accuracy = precision ... it does not mean shooting to point of aim. Accuracy is how well the pistol groups. I understand what you meant, but it is worth noting.
    As has been stated many times, dealing with an issue of POI not matching POA is a different thing than dealing with a pistol that will not group well. I know you understand what the gun is doing, but it makes discussion easier if everyone is using the generally agreed upon terms.

My point was that I think you would be better served in this case until you get the sights dealt with would be to hold the sights level (front and back) but still raise your hold over. Angling the gun with the front sight not lined up with the rears would not be how I would hold... just my 2 cents.

Top Bottom