• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drhepner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2018
    Lakeville
    I noticed a lot of gun shops in northern Indiana are offering the Remington R51 for around $200. Don’t be tempted by this. I bought a Remington R51 two weeks ago. It’s the biggest pile of crap I’ve ever had. The grip safety needs to be jiggled to engage and the slide won’t rack with a full magazine. Remington has told me on two different calls that these issues are normal and it should all go away after a few hundred rounds. I’ve wasted 500 rounds through the pistol and the problems persist.

It it really is a good shooter once these two issues are worked around. It just takes a lot of time to get to a point where the gun can be fired. Definitely not a CCW pistol.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I read that there is a voluntary recall on them. First, you could exchange it for a new R51, with two extra magazines, and a Pelican case. Second, you could exchange their R51 for a 1911 R1 at no additional cost. Third, you could return their R51 for a refund at the full-suggested retail price.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I read that there is a voluntary recall on them. First, you could exchange it for a new R51, with two extra magazines, and a Pelican case. Second, you could exchange their R51 for a 1911 R1 at no additional cost. Third, you could return their R51 for a refund at the full-suggested retail price.

This was 4 YEARS AGO. But here's the number. Good luck. Remington at (800) 243-9700.

drhepner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2018
    Lakeville
    That recall is from 2014 and only applies to R51s sold that year and is due to catastrophic failures. Remington reintroduced the R51 in 2016 and all of the safety issues are supposed to be resolved.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    I have one (a gen 2 with neither problem) and peruse the R51 forums from time to time. From what I've seen and read, the grip safety is NOT typical and should be fixed by Rem. Not being able to rack the closed slide on a full mag is a know issue with some guns (seems 50/50), usually remedied by trimming the mag follower feet or technique.

If you want to remedy the issues, head over to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum - Index but if you just want to sit around and b**** about it, I'll take it off your hands and tinker with it as a spare myself.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Why would anyone buy a defective pistol with a ton of known problems from the get go? All the fix this and fix that. Seriously, when there are so many other proven and reliable small pistols out there why bother with such a pig? Then there is the question of self defense with this piece of junk. You would have to ask yourself this question: When the pooh hits the fan, would you trust your life on this Gun? I surely wouldn’t, would you? Put the R51 in the circular “gun bin” and look elsewhere. IMHO. LOL.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I still like the looks and lines of the R51. It's too bad it wasn't a runner out of the gate... it could have been a hit that Remington was overdue to have.

Last edited:

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Why would anyone buy one of those pesky wagons that push them selves around with a noisy, bumpy internal combustion engine when there are perfectly good horses to ride that have worked for thousands of years. for heaven's sake, there's a barrel of highly flammable liquid under the seat!

Trying things differently drives improvement. Luddite-ish as I can be I like the innovation and oddballs. Yes, sometimes it falls short of everyone's hopes but for the R51 the design is pretty good, just the design verification testing and QC are a bit spotty. There are plenty of examples of R51s than run flawlessly: mine's run many hundreds of rounds and, other than the slide-bite scars, the issues were all ammo-related (It likes em hot). Others seem like they were put together at 4pm on Friday...

Top Bottom