• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    I've been carrying a Colt 1991 Government model for some time now. No beveled mag-well, no night sights, no beavertail safety, no skeletonized hammer or trigger, no nothing! Just a plain-jane 1911. Besides being HEAVY, and the sights suck, I absolutely love this firearm. I've decided to start looking for a smaller framed model, with decent sights. No other options impress me. What would you recommend, and more importantly, why?

(and no, the 1991 is not for sale!)

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Absolutely no worries, you can keep your Colt. :p

I've been carrying the somewhat recently released Ruger SR1911 Officer-sized Model in 9mm since earlier this year. If you're one of the "1911s are only 1911s if they are chambered in 45ACP" traditional types, the SR1911 Officer's Model in 45 was recently released. Mine has been nothing short of perfect, and carries really nicely. It's a Series 70, and takes common officer-sized mags. I like my aftermarket Metalform Mags better than the Ruger factory mags.

Another option I really REALLY like is the Dan Wesson ECO, which is also an officer's size model. I have this in 9mm as well. It's practically identical to the dimensions of the Ruger, and is also a Series 70 design. It's quite a bit pricier, but it's been completely flawless, and amazingly smooth, accurate and soft-shooting for such a small package. The ECO is also available in 45ACP.

Both are bushingless bull-barrel designs. The ECO requires a paper clip to take down, the Ruger does not. I like the sights on the ECO better, but the Ruger's standard white 3-dot system works fine. The ECO has 25LPI checkering on the front and backstraps. The Ruger has mild checkering on the backstrap only. The Ruger has very good fit-and-finish, but the ECO is in a different league. Much as I prefer the ECO in just about every way, the Ruger has a much better price point, and IMHO is up to the task if you're wanting to stick with a 1911 design that's lighter and easier to carry than a gov't model.

These are the two options I would fully endorse. Which way you go depends on your budget, but neither will disappoint.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    If I’m carrying a 1911 now days, it’s a DW A2 Commander. The reason I like this one is that the grip size is comfortable to shoot and the barrel length is comfortable to carry. The A2 makes a nice carry gun in that it has Novak sight cuts that gives lots of sight options, it has the latest style grip safety and is a rock solid gun to shoot.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I usually carry a commander size (of course only one company makes a commander).
    I have a Wiley Clapp LW Colt Commander that I carry sometimes.

Sample pic. Not mine.
    colt_21st_century_wiley_clapp_commander_1911_1803.jpg

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Glad to hear....:)

I would tell you about the awesome early stainless steel Colt 1911 series 80 I had for six months but five of that six months it was at a gunsmith getting it to run...It never did...

Their early attempts at stainless steel sucked bad....:)

That is just sad man.....sad.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    My first 1911 was a 1991A1 Comoact I picked up at a 1500 around ‘98. I put close to 2000 rounds through that thing and it was a beast. It even Fed, fires and almost cycled a .40 that had gotten dumped into the bucket and loaded by a friend into one of the mags. I miss that one.

Current stable is a Springer Loaded 5” and an ATI 3”. Both good guns for me.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    My favorite 1911 is still the CZ 1911A1 built by Dan Wesson in NY. It’s a no frills USGI style 1911 with a really top notch build quality. It’s been carried some but until the shoulder is 100%,, it will be a range gun as I still cannot draw a full size gun. When that happens, it will get some holster time again just because I really love that gun. I think that I’ll probably be doing mostly commander sized guns going forward though even after the shoulder is good again. Those things are just more comfy to carry and you give nothing up in return.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    KNyq3hLh.jpg

Dan Wesson ECO designed from the ground up to be one of the best carry sized 1911's out there. Only weighs 2.05 pounds loaded with 8 rounds of 230gr HST , Heinie Straight 8 style sights and Dan Wesson's superb build quality. I did not see a price range in the OP so as usual I assume cost is not an issue for a defensive firearm

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I found I could carry a 1911 MUCH more comfy IWB using a Crossbreed Supertuck. Between having the weight closer to my body, and the added friction of the leather against my body to take weight off the belt, I could go a lot longer before fatigue set in. (Compared to OWB)

Might give that a try.

migunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 4, 2011
    DeMotte
    CCO. I carry either a .45 or 9mm SS Caspian I built myself. CCO seems to have all of the best features of an Officer or Government size. I like either the Dan Wesson or Colt Wiley Clapp models. I had a Dan Wesson Guardian previously that I really liked.

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    I really enjoy carrying my Dan Wesson CCO. I believe they have come out with a "Vigil" CCO, which is a couple hundred $ cheaper.

But then again, I admire just about all 1911s. Colts included..........

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    View attachment 72583

Just go go ahead and get the Valor Commander and be done with it!

Mine has it own theme music !

Over 1,500 rounds ZERO malfunctions and nobody talks $#&t about your 1911 once they see it’s a Dan Wesson.

Top Bottom