• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Ran across this for $450 and is seemed like a good way to try out an HK since it was nearly new with only 50 rounds from a guy that lives near me who bought it recently.
    Included was an Alien Gear Holster and 100 rounds of ammo.
    Box, papers, 2 magazines.
    I'd thought I'd play with it and see if it can edge out another one of my rounds, perhaps the Ruger P95, but I think the Ruger shoots better, but I'll give them both a fair chance.
    We'll see how it holds up at the range.
    It is a DA/SA that I like with a safety and a decocker which I love.
    It has all kinds of adjustment for the grip: back and sides.
    I just put the large back strap and the large sidestraps on: very straight forward replacement like the Glock with "push/pull the pin."
    Me likey: love the textured grip, full purchase with all fingers!

CaliberOverall lengthOverall heightOverall width w/leverBarrel lengthSight radius
    9 mm x 197.12 in.5.43 in.1.37 in.3.85 in.5.84 in

Took it straight to the range to vet it against the Bersa Thunder Pro XT that I love, and the CZ P-09 that I got last week.

hHcRMkX.jpg

TuZsDu3.jpg

nEJgQ8r.jpg

kbhqcgY.jpg

ryTsL9X.jpg

20 feet
    U7n0Ob4.jpg

30 feet, the HK starting to run low
    MBwSYeP.jpg

40 feet, really starting to go "South." I obviously don't know how to shoot
    with fixed sights, the Range Master was trying to teach me how to do so,
    talking ot different aiming techniques for 25' than 50'.
    Didn't really understand it all, but I'll try to aim "6 oclock" doing a little distance next time
    instead of just raising the front sight above the rear sights.
    And with the CZ P-09, I'm pulling right, which is a "stance" thing I was told.
    CXOcOYf.jpg

Last edited:

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Nice choice. I have a P30 v3 (DA/SA, decococker, no safety) and a P30sk v1 (LEM, no decocker, no safety)

You shouldn't be having to adjust your hold that much at those ranges. I've shot my P30 from 5-25 yds with less change in poi-poa than you show. I suspect it to be more technique or grip (or stance). Could also be anticipating the shot due to the less crisp trigger

Try different backstraps and sidestraps. Try them all. What you think works best holding it static might not be the best shooting. You can use the different side and backstraps to fine-tune your natural point of aim with the gun. (backstrap- up and down sidestrap, left and right)

Granted it's all about what you can produce results with but changing the sight alignment seems like a worse habit than hold-over/under. I've tried it too (but that was light semi-wadcutters to 100 yds at silhouettes that were completely hidden with holdover)

You see now why people gripe about the HK triggers: lots of take-up even on SA.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Nice choice. I have a P30 v3 (DA/SA, decococker, no safety) and a P30sk v1 (LEM, no decocker, no safety)
    You shouldn't be having to adjust your hold that much at those ranges. I've shot my P30 from 5-25 yds with less change in poi-poa than you show. I suspect it to be more technique or grip (or stance). Could also be anticipating the shot due to the less crisp trigger
    Try different backstraps and sidestraps. Try them all. What you think works best holding it static might not be the best shooting. You can use the different side and backstraps to fine-tune your natural point of aim with the gun. (backstrap- up and down sidestrap, left and right)
    Granted it's all about what you can produce results with but changing the sight alignment seems like a worse habit than hold-over/under. I've tried it too (but that was light semi-wadcutters to 100 yds at silhouettes that were completely hidden with holdover)
    You see now why people gripe about the HK triggers: lots of take-up even on SA.

1. WOW! I can't believe you have two: the V1 & V3 version: speaks well of your admiration of the HK.
    2. It is my first HK, but little things like the magazine registering each round with a hole is appreciated (do you really have 10 or 12 in the magazine: you have to wonder with some guns).
    3. Love the size with the different sizes of backstraps and sideplates: when I shot it right after buying it, but I put the large on when I got home.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    If you happen to get bored with it, I'd be happy to take it off your hands for what you have in it.

1. If/when I sell it, it will be just for what I have in it, but I do love having an HK so it will take a bit.
    2. I need to cut one of my 9mm, since I got down to two then all of a sudden I wake up with 7 :dunno:, so I will have todeal with that, but I have gotten some really nice tools that I enjoy and it will be hard to part with them.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Unfortunately, I can't shoot this gun.
    Very frustrating.
    I get low shooting and I know it's my fault.
    The Range Master worked with me and by using 12 feet he proved to me that it's me.
    There was another technique he used that definitely showed it was all me and my bad habits.
    That's when I hit the dot he drew on my target at 12 feet (in the middle between the two top targets).
    I used a hand rest once to also show it was me.
    Don't understand why this is such very low shooting happening with this gun and not others, but it being a lighter polymer probably has something to do with it, but I've shot other polymers w/o this poor performance: strange.
    I will sell the HK P30 VE b/c I just don't need the grief when I have others that do so much better in my hands.

After using 30', and shooting very LOW, the Range Master had me use 12' to learn better habits.
    3ZQGjmW.jpg

In shooting other 9mms at 30' I tried another round of HK but failed miserably (middle target).
    7IaTb3K.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Sold this pm to a member here who really appreciated the good deal on it!
    He is a fan of HK.

As usual, I got an education on many guns things with my questions, this time it was about a Bulgarian Makarov, which he was a fan of and used as a CC and had 3 of them.

Top Bottom