• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Longsh0t

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2016
    Evansville
    Thinking about picking up a vp9-b fairly soon. I currently have a couple m&ps and I do like them I want something new. I have heard a lot of positive things about them and very little negatives. It looks like they fixed the issue with the trigger guard causing blisters due to the channel in the bottom. Any other real complaints I should be aware of?

Longsh0t

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2016
    Evansville
    How agressive is the stippling? Would it feel fine against the skin for CC? Also how much light do the sights need to be useful or are night sight upgrades pretty much a given?

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    It's a very comfortable shooting gun. Stippling is not as aggressive as an M&P 2.0 and should feel fine against skin. Mine wears a Streamlight & get's carried OWB though. The night sights are nice but if it's wearing a weapon mounted light then they are less important.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    I like the gun, hate HK. I've heard the 9mms are under spring and had some reliability issues. Whether or not that's fixed I have no clue. When I had one I shot it quite a bit and didn't have any issues.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I'm looking to buy one as well, but plan to wait a while for the price to even out. I've seen the standard version as low as ~$450 and the new "B" version is around ~$550-$600. I'm hoping that over time the price of the new model will come down to be closer to the standard version. My hope may be in vain, but since I don't really need the gun, it doesn't really hurt me to wait.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I bought the LE version about 3-4 years ago, and I love mine. I am not much of a striker-fired fan, and for the longest time, this was my only non-hammer fired pistol (I just bought my second one about a month ago).

Mine has been 100% reliable (literally), and is extremely accurate.

I took out my brand new SIG P320 X-Five along with the VP9 to the range to compare them side-by-side. The VP9 blew the SIG away (unfortunately). I expected the opposite to be honest with all of the good things I have heard about the X-Five. I hadn't shot the VP9 in over a year before that day, so it wasn't familiarity that won the day. The VP9 was killing it with <2" groups at 10 yards consistently whereas the SIG was closer to 4" (very disappointing).

(To be fair, the SIG was brand new, and needed some breaking in. The groups are starting to tighten up a bit now that I am at about 500 rounds.)

Mine is the Gen 1 VP9 with the paddle mag release. I love that design, but muscle memory in a stressful situation might lead to fumbles for me, I am not sure. They changed that for the "B" version, so it is a non-issue of you go that route.

The LE version came with the night sights, a modified trigger (or so I was told) and an extra mag. I can't remember what combination I ended up with my sidestrap and backstrap sections, but they are non-matching and it fits like a glove!!! I love that. I think I have a large backstrap, a medium right strap and maybe a small left strap, or something odd like that (I have no real idea what they are exactly, but they are random like that). I love having that flexibility.

Even after 3-4 years, the night sights still glow really well, so they are quality tritium and I should get a few more years out of them no problem.

I have nothing bad to say about the VP9, except dry firing on striker-fired guns always feels odd to me... I am used to that metal-on-metal snap and click from my hammers.

pblanc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2014
    Evansville
    I shot the HK VP9 a couple of times at a local indoor range that had one as a rental gun. The also had a SIG P320. I was not able to customize the VP9 grip by changing the grip back straps and side panels, but it felt comfortable in the hand. But the medium sized grip module of the P320 felt even better.

The HK VP9 trigger was good but I decided the pistol was not for me. The gun I shot had the paddle magazine release and the pistol did a number on my trigger finger before I got through two magazines. Beyond that, I felt that the grip length was a bit much for the magazine capacity, and when the gun recoiled it seemed to torque a bit so that the sights did not come back on target as quickly and naturally as they did with the P320. I also had a slight preference for the P320 trigger.

Longsh0t

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2016
    Evansville
    So I was able to rent a vp9 at Right to Bear Arms and I have to say I loved it but I had an issue. I am left handed and when I would empty the mag the slide wasn't locking back. I'm almost certain it was because of the long stop bar on the right side of the gun and a high thumbs grip. The groove did bother me after 100 rounds but I believe the B version will take care of that. I will most likely rent it again and change my grip a bit to see if that takes care of it. Other than that it's an awesome pistol. Would be nice if they tweaked the slide stop design but we cant ever have anything perfect.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    I like the gun, hate HK. I've heard the 9mms are under spring and had some reliability issues. Whether or not that's fixed I have no clue. When I had one I shot it quite a bit and didn't have any issues.

That was the early models and they addressed that a long time ago. If you have a very early model that still has the original spring, contact HK, they may very give you the right one.

IndianaGlock85

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2018
    Madison
    I'm looking to buy one as well, but plan to wait a while for the price to even out. I've seen the standard version as low as ~$450 and the new "B" version is around ~$550-$600. I'm hoping that over time the price of the new model will come down to be closer to the standard version. My hope may be in vain, but since I don't really need the gun, it doesn't really hurt me to wait.

This is my hope as well, I’ve been checking all over for a lower price.

usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    118   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    I snagged my vp9-b from gunbroker recently. Gun with shipping and transfer fee at my ffl and I have just over 5 bills in it. Was pretty pleased to fall into that. Have yet to shoot it, but with the nice weather this weekend I may remedy that.

IndianaGlock85

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2018
    Madison
    I snagged my vp9-b from gunbroker recently. Gun with shipping and transfer fee at my ffl and I have just over 5 bills in it. Was pretty pleased to fall into that. Have yet to shoot it, but with the nice weather this weekend I may remedy that.

Nice find I hope it works out well!

Top Bottom