• doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Educational inquiry:
    What is the niche for the PCR as compared to the Rami?
    People speak with fondness for their PCR.
    Why would a person choose a PCR over a Rami unless it was just to get a little bigger CC or the Rami, just to get a little smaller CC?
    They seem to be the same gun with even the weight essentially the same for CC.

They both sound like a compromise between the all-metal steel frames and polymers with the aluminum frames?

PCR
    SKU 91194
    14 Magazine Type Double Stack
    Frame Aluminum (7075 T6)
    DA/SA
    Sights Snag-Free Fixed 3-Dot
    Length 3.75 in
    Weight 27.5 oz
    Overall Length 7.24 in
    Height 5.03 in
    Width 1.38 in

RAMI
    SKU 91754
    Capacity 10/14
    Magazine Type Double Stack
    Frame Aluminum (7075 T6)
    DA/SA
    Sights Fixed Night Sights
    Length 3.05 in
    Weight 26 oz
    Overall Length 6.5 in
    Height 4.7 in
    Width 1.25 in

Kperkins

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2018
    Logansport
    I believe the PCR only comes with a decocker where as the Rami is only a safety. I personally like the decocker models better. The safety on the Ramis I have messed with seem to not have a very positive click when engaged. I feel there would be more of a possibility it might disengage accidentally. Just my observations from handling them in stores.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    The PCR and the Rami have a very different feel.
    The RAMI is built like a linebacker.
    The PCR is built like a wide receiver.
    PCR is definitely one of my favorites.

1. Great analogies: it does put it into a perspective that even I can understand. :laugh:

Rami comes in decocker too. I shoot the PCR much better. It’s all personal preference.

2. Interesting that you shoot better with the PCR: it does have a longer barrel, I noticed.

3. I didn't know if a person had Rami, there was any was any reason to try out the PCR (everyone seems to love it and my sense is: prefer the PCR to the Rami).
    4. Outside of the "fun of just trying it out," if a person is selling their Rami b/c it is not needed for CC or for the range there is not reason to gravitate toward the PCR: just more of the same and really only a preference difference.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Go find a couple of these. SW 5906 and 6906.

If you like them you will find a hundred other variations. Will keep you busy for the next 100 years.

4a2d05e1e911f89225c57bc9a88d6b78.jpg

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    I have had both the PCR and the Rami. They are both made by CZ and both (of mine) were de-cockers. That is were the similarities end (for me) .

I shoot the PCR much better. The PCR is balanced better. The PCR is easier to carry (for me). I liked the Rami, but I LOVE the PCR. I still have the PCR and it is on my short list of "never sell". I sold the Rami and bought a 3rd Gen S&W 908. I haven't looked back since. YMMV

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have had both the PCR and the Rami. They are both made by CZ and both (of mine) were de-cockers. That is were the similarities end (for me) .
    I shoot the PCR much better. The PCR is balanced better. The PCR is easier to carry (for me). I liked the Rami, but I LOVE the PCR. I still have the PCR and it is on my short list of "never sell". I sold the Rami and bought a 3rd Gen S&W 908. I haven't looked back since. YMMV

1. Valuable input and opinion of preference: thanks!
    2. I might have to try the PCR since I've have the Rami (for sale), but there is much love for the PCR.
    3. The Phantom is another one recomended, but I can't imagine it being a challenger to the Shadow 2, where as if a person wanted something smaller to the Shadow, the Rami and PCR are contenders.
    4. A friend who has the PCR pmmed me and will let me shoot it to see what I think, so that will be helpful.

Last edited:

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I see where this is going. You are deciding on the next gun to buy after you sell the Rami.
    I recall that you prefer a safety to a decocker. You might look at the Tristar C-100, made by Canik and imported by Tristar. It is nearly identical to the PCR but comes with a safety and costs less (about $360-$380).

Edit: Never mind. I forgot that you are likely to sell after trying it. The resale on a Canik will hurt you. Stick with the PCR to avoid a loss.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    If it won’t be carried, the 75 Compact steel frame would be a delightful range toy as well. It’s just under 33oz and retains the safety over the decocker.

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    Go find a couple of these. SW 5906 and 6906.

If you like them you will find a hundred other variations. Will keep you busy for the next 100 years.

4a2d05e1e911f89225c57bc9a88d6b78.jpg

Oh lordy don't get doddg started on 3rd gen S&W's. Nice pistols BTW me likey.

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    I have both the Rami and a P-01. The P-01 is pretty much a PCR with a rail. I like them both and they both are more accurate than I am. Both have been touched by the Wizard and I have no plans to part with them. I find myself carrying the Rami most of the time.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I see where this is going. You are deciding on the next gun to buy after you sell the Rami.
    I recall that you prefer a safety to a decocker. You might look at the Tristar C-100, made by Canik and imported by Tristar. It is nearly identical to the PCR but comes with a safety and costs less (about $360-$380).

Edit: Never mind. I forgot that you are likely to sell after trying it. The resale on a Canik will hurt you. Stick with the PCR to avoid a loss.

1. Good point. I had already thought of that before I read your edit.
    2. I would definitely stick with the top tier companies because of my lack of experience.
    3. I did take a chance and bought a Bursa Thunder Pro XT because I could not read anything negative about it and it has proven to be as good as any CZ, SW or Ruger I’ve ever bought .
    4. And, a member here was a big fan of them and shot them competitively so that gave me the courage to try one with their endorsement.
    5. My version of the Smith third generation is buying the Ruger P series.
    I have had an 89 and a 95 and have been please with both.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom