• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Bought a dead one (for fair price). Unknown issues.

Hammer not fully fwd, free spin cylinder.

Hmmmm.

Turns out somebody pinned the hammer strut.......and left the pin in (homemade- stuck).
    Got that out and tore the gun down.
    Pawl plunger and spring reversed.
    Spring mangled.
    Latch spring mangled, no plunger.
    Get it back up and running for 20 bucks.

rjvFNy8.jpg

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    It's a Ruger, the smile will fade quickly.
    Trapline gun...........or trading stock.
    Only Rugers that might hold a smile on me.........a Ruger #1, or the 1911 in 10mm.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Rolled the dice, figured I could order parts and fix it, for cheaper than sending it back to Ruger (shipping).
    Like to troubleshoot stuff.
    9 times out of 10 somebody lost a part, or assembled wrong.

Still waiting for a Ruger MK target model that's "broken" for 100 bucks, with just the MS housing missing the strut.
    I never get those deals LOL

Did OK on my spare Rem 1100. It had new extractor (maybe whole bolt) and new trigger housing/group.
    Non reg dumped it at LGS. Deer setup, side mount w cheap scope.

Suspect.

Yup, it wasn't right.... a single shot. Turns out it was missing the snap ring for the interrupter. $8 to fix.
    Changed stocks, gunkoted receiver........am into a halfway decent rig for 300.
    It was top gun in dove field 2 yrs ago, and 1st or 2nd last yr when we went.
    Zero failures.

Just needed a 2 3/4 steel shot rig, as my 1100 SP Magnum won't cycle the wimp steel (another bargain gun resurrected).

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Fixing guns is more of a challenge these days. I don't have a workbench at the new house (yet) and my eyes aint as good as they used to be.
    But I'll have about 30 mins total time in cleaning/fixing this up. Add a little more if I clean up the screw heads.

TheGhostRider

Watching from a distance…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Saw a Rem 870 in the local tab for 100 bucks... went out and took a look... guy said it would only fire once and a great while and the vent rib barrel had a nasty ding about 3" from the muzzle. Loaded a round... pulled the trigger... nothing. Suddenly I hear in my head Marvin the martian lamenting the lack of "Earth shattering kaboom". Gave the dude a 50 and went home. Disassembled the gun and noticed the appearance of brown goo throughout the bolt assembly and a somewhat familiar smell. It was like brown tar... Hmmm... dried out WD40? Sure enough it was. Soaked the parts in Kerosene for a few days then started picking and scrubbing. A little CLP on the moving parts with a little buffing and viola... and knocked the barrel to 18.5". I've probably put over 400 rounds through that shotgun without issue.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    How about the Dan Wesson 15's that won't lock in to sa. There are a bunch out there. Take the allen screw that holds the hand grip on and either add a washer or grind a bit off the end. Magical fix...

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Bought a super cheap Winchester model 12 that the bolt block would not lock home.

The guy at the LGS was all, "needs a spring and possibly something else".

I asked what it would take to remove such a dangerous weapon from his premises.

We agreed on a price. Took it home, removed the two screws that hold the mag tube cap, turned it 180 degrees. Done.

They had the mag tube going so far into the receiver it would keep the bolt from locking. I love that gun...

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Seriously, where doe everyone find these. I found my dw 15-2. Light primer strike in double action and cases would get stuck in the cylinder. Turns out the barrel gap needed tightened. The space would dirty the cylinder, and when I popped it open, you could tell it had never been opened and cleaned. I got lucky, I had no clue what I was doing, and had no clue anything was wrong until I shot it. Luckily INGO came through.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Had a guy give me an SKS. Pull the trigger and it does nothing. Couple swipes with a file on the disconnect and she is brand new. Traded into some Glock.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Its alive!

Note: it also had a busted hammer plunger, w the extended piece missing.
    Got a new one, and it was too long.
    Had to grind down to proper length.

Proper length.

Yeah, what is that?
    Got one to measure....if so, is the pin location in the hammer the same (there were variations) ?
    Total pin length or projection?

Checked a few websites, bunch of idiots.
    One guy had half a brain and took measurements, overall and projection.

BTW, don't go by my numbers here. Find a good hammer, like yours and measure plunger. Or find a pic of a good one and creep up on it (test and retest).

I clicked on a Fleabay pic of a NM hammer w plunger, pin location the same as mine.......and good thing I did.
    As his measurement would have had it too short.

IIRC my pin was .750 total.
    I took it to .700 and it was long.
    .675 and compared to picture, still too long.
    Said try it at .650
    And it works smooth.
    Latch is popping up in scallop, not before.

Top Bottom