• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I'm going through and finally organizing my thoughts to my wants in my collection. I have most of my list made up, but for my 1911 column, I am blank on specifics. All I know I want a 1911. I don't have any experience with them, I don't have much opportunity to try a variety out. For this addition I don't plan on it having any real use, outside a fun range toy, and filling a spot in my collection/heart. I buy on basis of when I find the right gun at the right price. I am open to anything American, except Springfield unless it is used.

Conditions in order of importance
    1.).45 acp
    2.)Value. I don't mean cheap.
    3.)shootibility stock (sorry CM)
    4.) Wow factor (looks good, something not everyone has)

I have seen plenty of threads on the subject, but I haven't found any that answer my specific niche desire. Or maybe I just want to interact and guide/ learn want I want to fill the empty slot in my safe. :dunno: Also if anyone has any oddball handguns in general that might be relatively unheard of, shoot them my way. I love diversity in my safe.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    A 1911 has no wow factor, other than the price of some. They've been around for over a hundred years, and they are what they are. Everyone should have one, as they are an American icon. That being said, shootability, is the wow factor with a TUNED 1911. You can get an extremely accurate gun with the best trigger in a pistol.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I know the platform is dated, but as an american... I need one. As a shooter i want the best i can get and i wont cringe shooting a wwII gun. Im not rich so i want good value.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I am with K on this one. If you want "wow" put the money in the tune rather than a "special" frame. 95%+ of 1911's for sale couldn't hit a bull in the butt with a base fiddle.

If it is affordable and you like it, give it a shake. If it rattles, put it back. If it doesn't, be ready to spend some money to bring on the "wow".

Looks and serial numbers won't make up for the disappointment of wondering where the projectile went because it didn't even hit paper...

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I was leaning towards the d.w. and the price doesn't seem bad.
    Its looking like another route, which im not to sure of is to put work into it. That being the case, what would be a good way to go on that, and how much of a difference does it really make? I have seen allenms' work on CM's r.o. that was art, but i am not looking to get crazy like that. If it were to be in the same price range of a good ww2 era 1911. I would rather go that route. Keep in mind most guns will outshoot me...

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    If you feel the need for one, I'd look at the Dan Wesson line and then pick based on what features, sizing, etc you are after. Shoot it for a while and then decide if it needs anything.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Find the guy that will do your work and ask them what to get.

I know you have an American theme going on and I hesitate to say this due to my asbestos underwear is in the wash... but my "best shooter" in the 1911 A1 category is a DGFM.

Argentinian made from American tools. You can get one made in the '50's or '60's for decent money, most were carried and not shot to death. AND every one of them is like getting in a time machine and going back to the Colt plant in 1927.

The main difference is where Colt used mild steel for their internals the Argentinians used spring steel. So there can be an argument that it is "better" made.

Some have been redone and parkerized but good examples of blued steel in very good to excellent condition are available.

As if you didn't already have enough to think about...

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Find the guy that will do your work and ask them what to get.

I know you have an American theme going on and I hesitate to say this due to my asbestos underwear is in the wash... but my "best shooter" in the 1911 A1 category is a DGFM.

Argentinian made from American tools. You can get one made in the '50's or '60's for decent money, most were carried and not shot to death. AND every one of them is like getting in a time machine and going back to the Colt plant in 1927.

The main difference is where Colt used mild steel for their internals the Argentinians used spring steel. So there can be an argument that it is "better" made.

Some have been redone and parkerized but good examples of blued steel in very good to excellent condition are available.

As if you didn't already have enough to think about...

I have multiple wish lists. One of wish is surplus/out of production/ foreign. Pretty much anything yesteryear. I will have to look into this and :yesway: or :noway:.
    As for how it pertains to this spot, i want american.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Your OP screams any government or commander model of your choice from DW. i like a full size gov model with adjustable sights for a range toy.

My suggestion is to get a DW, personalize it with grips (if so inclined), shoot it for a year and see if you actually find anything you want upgraded. There just isn't much to improve on a DW unless you are CM and just can't leave one alone.;)

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Your OP screams any government or commander model of your choice from DW. i like a full size gov model with adjustable sights for a range toy.

My suggestion is to get a DW, personalize it with grips (if so inclined), shoot it for a year and see if you actually find anything you want upgraded. There just isn't much to improve on a DW unless you are CM and just can't leave one alone.;)

The d.w. is on the shortlist. Someone made a comment and made me realize how pathetic my knowledge of a 1911, is. Id have to learn how to take one down. I know that they have a huge following with years of knowldge. I want to make sure i get the one that i am happy with. Im not a fan of duplicate guns unless the was a collectable reason. Which i have yet to own anything i consider collectable. I dont necessarily have a budget either. Just weary of a point of diminishing returns.

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan

:+1: Hands down perhaps the best 1911 out there for the money.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    A 1911 has no wow factor, other than the price of some. They've been around for over a hundred years, and they are what they are. Everyone should have one, as they are an American icon. That being said, shootability, is the wow factor with a TUNED 1911. You can get an extremely accurate gun with the best trigger in a pistol.

:popcorn:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    No input? This whole thread is your fault!

Well....................................................

#1....of course. 9mm 1911's are for girls. Yes, I said it so :p

#2....Best bang for the buck stock from the box in something decent that shoots...(I dont care what anybody says about hitting paper I call Bravo Sierra) Anything SA offers north of a Range officer. TRP's are the real deal. Beyond that is DW territory. The DW wins the fit/finish out of the box but my TRPs shoot right with them.

#3....Answered above.

Pick your poison.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I know the platform is dated, but as an american... I need one. As a shooter i want the best i can get and i wont cringe shooting a wwII gun. Im not rich so i want good value.
    We've not met, but I believe you are younger than I am. My vision sucks! WWII sights sucked in 1945, and they suck harder today.
    A WWII gun is not cheap, and they shoot like ****. The sights are horrible, they were made for minute of man at 15 feet. A modern 1911 can be the most accurate gun you own, due to advances in technology in 100 years.

Reconsider what you want to end up with, my suggestion.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We've not met, but I believe you are younger than I am. My vision sucks! WWII sights sucked in 1945, and they suck harder today.
    A WWII gun is not cheap, and they shoot like ****. The sights are horrible, they were made for minute of man at 15 feet. A modern 1911 can be the most accurate gun you own, due to advances in technology in 100 years.

Reconsider what you want to end up with, my suggestion.

Stay away fom the old offerings. They were mass produced to feed the war machine. The machine work and metallurgy can be questionable. They will shoot but they are point shooters for sure. Those sights suck. They are not made for modern SD ammo. They van run it but why. I have a 1942 Colt. It was my uncles duty carry. It runs but I treat it with kid gloves for obvious reasons. And yes, it will wear a target out.

Look to the newer offerings. You will have a much more pleasant experience.

Top Bottom