• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Astro91

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2018
    Bloomington
    New member here. Already introduced myself in the new member thread. I purchased my first handgun last week. A Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Lite. I’ve done my research, but like anything everyone has different ways, brands, and steps. Just want to get some tips and advice that’s more centralized.

I know I should clean the gun before I go to the range since companies tend to put some type of coating on it since it will be sitting at warehouses/stores etc. From what I’ve researched I will need bore brush, cleaning rod, cleaning patches, q-tips, rags, solvent, oil, and copper solvent. Brand wise I was going to go with M-Pro 7.

As far as breaking in the firearm there seems to be a ton of methods. What I read is to do 500 rounds and clean the gun after every ammo change.

My question is should I just clean the barrel or all moving parts? Any tips, opinions, and advice is welcome.

Thank you

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    My break in and initial cleaning usually involves shooting the snot out of it. Sure, some come with lots of gunk on them, but I doubt it will have any influence on the function or accuracy of that firearm. I did do a break-in on a high dollar barrel I bought, but that was solely because the manufacture recommended it. A wipe down, little oil, and a couple patches down the barrel won't hurt anything, but I doubt its really needed. Just my 2cents.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Welcome to INGO, and I agree with King. Make sure the bore is empty, and have a ball.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    When i got my mark iv 22/45 lite i took it straight to range. Between me, my wife, and daughter, we put 500 rounds thru.
    I took it home after that trip, gave her a cleaning and now i typically dont bother cleaning till we run 1k rounds now. I havent had any issues of concern thus far, and she shoots like a dream.

We feed it a steady diet of cci sv

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Clean and lube it before the first outing, an clean as often or not as you like after that depending on your OCD level. I tend to clean after every range trip myself (unless I know I am going to be shooting that gun again in a few days).

I've never felt the need to follow a specific break in process with a handgun like I have done on a bolt rifle ( On new bolt rifles, I had typically shoot a few rounds then swab the barrel, etc or the first so many rounds through it, while actually at the range), because you are not typically dealing with the same velocities and not dealing with the same level of precision that a bolt rifle would be.

Basically give the handgun a good field strip, clean and lube before the first range trip, then field strip and clean on a schedule that meets your needs and keeps the gun functional.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    Depends. My last 3 purchases were glock, glock, and sig p365. I changed the sights on the glocks and shot them. The sig was covered in factory oil so I cleaned it then shot it.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Welcome! You have certainly come to the right place!
    I have only been around for less than 2 yrs. and this site has terrific people and the advice can save you all kinds of grief.
    I am a great lover of everything .22LR, and you have certainly started off with a winner with the Mark 4 that many here have and enjoy.
    Can't wait to find out if you leave it stock or put in another trigger, sights or laser to enhance your fun!
    I leave mine stock but many others you will learn have fun improving on the stock set up.
    I'm not a big cleaner (lazy), I usually shoot it until it until "tells" me it needs attention (failure to feed properly), although I have learned to make sure I oil it up before shooting any gun: new or used, and I will put a little oil on the rails between cleanings and wipe it down quickly.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    151   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    If it’s lubed from the factory which I assume, take it straight in and shoot the crap out of it. Clean it and relube after a few hundred rounds. With a Ruger Mark IV, break in shouldn’t really be a thing or matter.

Astro91

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2018
    Bloomington
    Thanks for the advice guys!

I read on the NRA (How to clean a gun) they said when you oil the everything to wipe it down with a clean patch. I don’t want everything soaking, but a nice thin coating is what I’m looking for right? The NRA website said oil in the barrel can create too much pressure. So when I oil everything give it a nice clean with a dry patch, but don’t completely dry it?

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    you'll probably find out most 22 ammo is dirty.
    i run my guns until they "tell me" they need cleaning.

i run my open USPSA 2-3000 rounds before i do much more than wipe the crud off the feed ramp, and run some oil down the rails.
    MK IV 22/45 tactical is less tolerant, 1000-1500 rounds and it starts failing to extract.
    i was amazed at the amount of crud that comes out of that gun.

:cheers:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    All depends on the gun. My Sigs, I always clean and lube (grease the rails good) before taking them out. Other guns I just spray a bunch of CLP on moving stuff and go.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    First off Welcome to INGO!!! :ingo:

Everyone is different (obviously)... I always clean any new gun and lube it before shooting it for the first time. Always. I am also pretty OCD about keeping them clean and well-lubed, especially with new guns until I get about 1,000 rounds through them. This is a method that has always worked for me.

WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    I cleaned my wife's M IV 22/45 Lite before shooting it, partly to show her how to disassemble and clean it. I clean it after every trip to the range. She says Aguila ammo gives her misfeeds, but CCI mini mags never give a problem.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Thanks for the advice guys!

I read on the NRA (How to clean a gun) they said when you oil the everything to wipe it down with a clean patch. I don’t want everything soaking, but a nice thin coating is what I’m looking for right? The NRA website said oil in the barrel can create too much pressure. So when I oil everything give it a nice clean with a dry patch, but don’t completely dry it?

If I know I will be shooting the gun in the near term, then after all is said and done, a nice dry patch through the bore. If I know I'm going to be storing the gun for a bit, then at the end of my cleaning process a patch with a bit of oil through the bore. Generally you want the bore to be clean and unobstructed and not much for foreign material in the bore.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Welcome! I believe in cleaning any new firearm before a trip to the range. I check the gun visually to make sure that the chamber is empty. I field strip if appropriate. I think it is a good idea, just in the remote likelihood that something, like a piece of metal shaving was left in and also to help me become familiar with it. I then lightly oil the moving parts (it is a little machine, so shouldn't be run dry). After shooting, if it isn't a personal protection gun, I clean it when it really needs it (every couple of range sessions). If it is a personal protection gun, I clean it after every range session. I think that more .22 bores have been ruined, as well as, crowns by cleaning than by shooting. I don't clean .22 bores, although I do clean the chambers with a .25 cal. rifle bore brush bent at a 90 degree angle. I usually use a length of line trimmer with a melted ball on one end and a sharply cut piece on the other end. I pierce a .22 patch and pull it through from the muzzle to the chamber. That way I don't pull the crud back up into the rifling. I use solvent to get rid of carbon and lead build up on the remaining parts of the handgun. For centerfire guns, I run a patch of bore cleaner through the bore. I leave it to soak while wiping down and brushing the rest of the gun. I then run a bore brush through quite a few times followed by clean patches. Repeat until clean. Everyone has their favorite cleaner and oil. Just pick something you like. You really can't go wrong with oils and cleaners (solvent) specifically made for the job. Always unload gun and magazines after every range session and ALWAYS CHECK FOR EMPTY, VISUALLY, BEFORE STARTING ANY CLEANING SESSION! When you pick up the gun for any purpose thereafter, always visually check the chamber and magazines for empty. Learn the safety rules and memorize them and make them a habit. Don't trust that another person is handing you an empty gun, even if you saw him/ her check it. Check it yourself. If the other person is offended, they have a wrong attitude.

Top Bottom