• ...and so much more!
  • worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    So...here is my story.

I have been looking at those Polymer 80 frames and really digging them. But I was not sure if I wanted to dive into milling one out.

I saw on Thanksgiving that Brownells has Polymer 80 frames that are serialized and 100% complete. Just push in the pins for the locking block and rear rails and assemble. At least, that was the theory.

It has not been remotely that smooth. I could not gets my Brownells nor my OEM Gen 3 G19 slide to go over the rails on the frame I recieved (after my 4473 and proceed). I contacted Polymer 80 and emailed photos to them. They said my rails were clearly out of spec and sent me new ones. I received them today and installed them and now both the Brownells slide and the OEM slide will go over the rails perfectly.

So I start to complete the lower and install the rest of the parts, and now I got more issues. I cannot get the slide lock lever spring installed. The groove that the end of the spring is supposed to fit into is far to shallow, so the spring is sticking up into the recoil spring channel. That makes this lower useless. I sent an email with a bit of a rant and we'll see what Polymer 80 does. But I am really, really frustrated and I am not sure if it's worth keeping it.

I have come to the realization that it is likely I may need to get a refund and order an OEM Glock 19 frame instead.

Does anyone know of any shops or FFL's who sell Glock 19 frames in the Fort Wayne area?

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I thought the point of these 80% frames like an AR 80% lower (though admittedly, I have not checked out the Polymer 80's specifically) was that a 4473 and transfer was not required? Not sure I see the advantage if that is not the case.

Not sure where in FW you can find Glock OEM frames, but they can be purchased at various places online https://www.glockstore.com/parts-accessories/frames (not the cheapest I've seen and they do charge a good it for shippin. I'm sure you can find cheaper) Of course, you would need a transfer for the Glock OEM frames.

Last edited:

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    I thought the point of these 80% frames like an AR 80% lower (though admittedly, I have not checked out the Polymer 80's specifically) was that a 4473 and transfer was not required? Not sure I see the advantage if that is not the case.

These frames have many modifications on them already that normally have to be done aftermarket on a Glock frame. The frame feels great in the hand. I just hope that I can get it to work.

Here is a pic I pulled from another website off the net as an example...

p80-4.jpg

They have many aftermarket upgrades like trigger guard undercuts, magazine release bevel, no finger grooves, aggressive texture (like stippling), different frame angle, extended beavertail, picatinny accessory rail, accelerator cut...ect.

If that is stuff you already like, then why pay hundreds to modify a Glock frame if you can get it in a frame from day 1. At least, that is the theory.

I like the idea of the serialized frames for custom pistol builds. I can see why some want the 80% versions as well. Just hope that Polymer 80 will get me fixed up with a frame that actually works.

As for Glock frames, I know they are available online. I have several bookmarked for later reference. But then I will have a transfer fee added on to the frame price. I am checking to see if there are any local shops who may have them in stock.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    Well...it's time for me to eat crow. It seems the slide lock lever spring problem was not a problem with the frame and had nothing to do with Polymer 80. They are in the clear.

I did not realize this applied to Gen 1-4, but apparently the slide lock lever spring is not the same depending on the Generation of Glock 19 you have. I knew that Gen 5's switched to a coil spring instead of a leaf spring. And I knew that Gen 1-3 is the same. However, although Gen 4 is a similar design, it is larger. That I did not know.

I thought that the groove / recess for the spring was to small in the frame. Rather, the spring was too large. Polymer 80 sent me an email confirming my issue and suggested that the spring appears to be a Gen 4 spring. I pulled the baggy that the spring came in and it is listed as a Gen 3 spring with the correct part number.

To make extra sure I opened up my 2008 vintage G19 and pulled my spring. It is clearly smaller than the one I received. I was able to put that used spring into my frame with no issues. So it seems the place where I ordered my parts sent me a Gen 4 spring in a Gen 3 baggy. I have shot them an email to see what they are going to do.

I have to admit, I was pretty frustrated and I was probably short in my emails. However, Polymer 80 has been able to figure out and fix all my problems so far just with a few mediocre pictures through email. And they did it very professionally.

Everything seems to be going together nicely now and I am excited to get it finished and take it to the range.

Once I'm done...pics will follow.

Top Bottom