• 1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    A few years late on this:
    Anyone found a good lower/upper combo for a .40 cal pistol carbine? Considered buying an SBR to pair with the Glocks I have for home defense.
    I have a silencerco hybrid I'd likely use on the end.
    Any comments on suggested barrel length?

John3354

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 29, 2018
    INDIANAPOLIS
    Have you considered the Sub2000? It would accept your Glock mags, is fairly inexpensive, very reliable, easy to store and very compact when folded.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I am a big PCC fan and I have seen many in 9mm and .45 ACP, but very few in .40SW

Just a quick search turns up the following options:

CHEAP (<$500):

Hi Point 4095 Carbine
    Sub 2000
    JRC Carbine

EXPENSIVE:

KRISS Vector CRB
    RRA LAR-40

As an aside, though I am not a .40SW guy, I have heard bad things about trying to suppress a .40 cal gun. Just my $0.02

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Macon armory can put one together for you. Why 40 over 9 or 45 tho? 9 and 45 are readily available, 40 is obscure for multiple reasons. 9mm has some really solid performance when you step up to a 9" + barrel. 45 uppers are available in DI and run flawlessly thanks to quite a bit of testing and development. 40 and 10mm have some feed issues in at style pistols and carbines due to the flat nose. My personal hd carbine is a 45ar with a can. It's ear safe indoors and won't cause permanent hearing loss to my daughter or wife if I have to deal with meth mouth mikey. My 9mm PCC is big and built for competition, but that sob hits steel with authority and I wouldn't hesitate to use it for hd if need arose. Another problem to consider is over penetration of handgun ammo vs purpose built rifle ammo. I'm not a 40 hater, I like the caliber in a handgun, but it does have issues feeding into carbines which can drive the price up. Unless your into kel tec's or hi points, which i'm not a fan of either for various reasons that tend to incite rage from the true believers, I'd stick with 9 or 45 for at pattern pcc's.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I'd say the 40 feeding issue is with the feed cone geometry on the would be barrel extension cause my AR9 feeds flat nose 147s just fine along with round nose 158s. Rudy is super slick and I have no doubts he could make a 40 PCC run like a top

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I'd say the 40 feeding issue is with the feed cone geometry on the would be barrel extension cause my AR9 feeds flat nose 147s just fine along with round nose 158s. Rudy is super slick and I have no doubts he could make a 40 PCC run like a top

He does, he has had issues with 10mm in certain situations I think mainly with di set ups, and I've heard mention of other 40ar's having feed issues not necessarily his. I don't think he would let one out of his shop if it had issues. I know he really likes his 460 Rowland ar's right now :D

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    thanks for the feedback.
    I wouldn't call myself a worshiper at the church of .40 cal...back when I didn't know anything(still don't know much) I let a gun store owner talk me in to buying a Ruger SR40. I later traded it for a Glock 27, and a few years later bought a full size service .40 Glock to pair with the 27. Had I had it to do over again, I would have likely just bought a 9m. At this point with the pistols, mags, and range ammo, I've got too much invested in .40 to give it up as my primary SD weapon system. I'm going to likely move to reloading for it in 2019 so hopefully scarcity or price won't be a big issue.
    I've no doubt I would probably shoot better with 9m, but I learned how to shoot a pistol on the G27. If you've learned to be accurate with that, you can basically shoot anything or so I've found.

Top Bottom