Newton County

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    Yep.......1911 Colt Competition 9mm.

Ejected straight up a couple of inches, flipped the casing around backwards, dropped back into the chamber and the slide slammed shut on it. Did it on a regular bases until I tweaked the extractor. Never had that issues afterwards.

That would be my assessment too.

Edit: I meant to underline the statement "until I tweaked the extractor" as I had the same problem long ago and it was the extractor causing it along with some limp wrist technique. I need to finish my posts without getting interrupted>

Last edited:

OWGEM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    This is a Kimber 1911 that I have had for 5 years, first time this has happened. Shooting pretty much once a week. What would cause the two indentations on the top of the shell?

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel

Ejected straight up a couple of inches, flipped the casing around backwards, dropped back into the chamber and the slide slammed shut on it. Did it on a regular bases until I tweaked the extractor. Never had that issues afterwards.

But... how?... the slide should already have closed. Did it get caught by slide during a follow up shot?

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Kind of what I have always understood to be the definition of a stovepipe...

Old Bear said inches, not a shell casing rattling around in the ejection port... gravity don't work that fast.

0:33 is what I've understood stove pipe to mean and how it occurs (shell fails to leave ejection port)
    [video=youtube;Ka556--WF2o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka556--WF2o[/video]

Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009

Impossible

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    Impossible

Well...... it happened....many times. Since I am no magician, it must be possible.

If I removed the magazine and fired a single round, the case wouldn't even clear the slide.

I re-profiled the extractor tip so the inside of the hook contacted the rim instead of the tip contacting the case undercut. This modification made the spent case clear the slide, barely, but consistently.

Then I adjusted the extractor tension until I got consistent extraction and ejection (although I would get an occasional spent casing to the forehead).

I would say the OP's issue is either an extractor that needs adjustment to the tension, a clocking issue with the extractor or the recoil spring is getting weak. Any of these would make a reliable gun act up. If he is shooting every week, probably a wear issue.

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    Yes thanks Gaffer, I am just puzzled how does the open end get mangled and yet it is trapped in the slide?

It looks like the case hadn't cleared the chamber before the slide contacted it (the open end of the case) and pinched the case between the slide and the frame or ejector. Then the slide moved forward and the breach face pushed the mangled case into the barrel hood.

Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    It looks like the case hadn't cleared the chamber before the slide contacted it (the open end of the case) and pinched the case between the slide and the frame or ejector. Then the slide moved forward and the breach face pushed the mangled case into the barrel hood.

Which is exactly the thing that was happening with your 9mm. No way did a case clear the gun and fall back in the ejection port before the slide cycled. Think about it.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Old Bear said inches, not a shell casing rattling around in the ejection port... gravity don't work that fast.

Ah, missed that part, reading too fast. Yep, casing getting caught by slide returning before it had cleared the port is what I had seen in the past... well back when I had admittedly poor quality 1911's, and why I moved on from them over 25 years ago.

Yep, agreed.

Top Bottom